I am just getting started on this app...

Options
Hi everyone, I am just starting to use this and I was wondering if it would be worth it. I have never been a huge fan of counting calories, but I was just wondering how some of you started out when using it. Do you just get into the rhythm of tracking all your food or does it take a lot of time to get used to it? I was just wanting some tips for a new user like myself. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Emdjoker64
    Emdjoker64 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think the app is very simple and fast to use. I like using it because I like to see my calories burn and food all in one place, it's a great way to keep track and helps you see what's working for you.
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I find that entering my food is easy and gets even easier as you go, since your typical foods are already in the system. It makes me think about what I eat before I eat it instead of after, which has been a big help!
  • TianaCrup
    Options
    Hello everyone i need help I've not been on for 2 months now and I got bigger I need encouragement to loose 159 lbs
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Counting calories definitely works. You need to count them ALL though, including condiments, and the little freebies at the grocery store, and the little nibbles of nuts as you walk through the kitchen, etc, etc. It also helps if you can weigh and measure your portions. It's a little bit of a hassle at first but in under a year you should lose those 65 lbs you're trying to drop. But it's up to you whether you want to drop the weight bad enough to put up with the hassle.

One tip I have is to be wary of the food database. Users get to make entries, and you will find multiple entries for the same food, with a wide range of calories. Once you find the accurate ones you will tend to stick to those.

Another tip is to try to not lose too much too fast. For instance, if you say you want to drop 2 lbs a week and the app only gives you 1200 calories a day to eat, change your goal to 1 lb a week. Most people find 1200 calories a day to be not sustainable over the long haul.

Good luck! One of my MFP friends reported that as of today she has lost 197 lbs!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    When I first got started, I spent a lot of time reading the posts stickied at the top of the various forums. I think that really helped me filter out some of the good advice from the bad.

The other thing that made a huge difference was buying a food scale. It was the best $10 I ever spent! I still weigh everything, even after achieving my goal weight and switching to maintenance. Oh, and log everything! There is no point in being less than honest :)

I would recommend starting here:

A Guide to Get You Started on Your Path to Sexy Pants

Calorie Counting

Logging Accuracy

Good luck!
  • RachaelCS96
    RachaelCS96 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been on here a year - I was prediabetic and I lost 40 lbs and now I'm not prediabetic anymore. I'm a slow loser but this makes me accountable to myself and others. I still have at least 30 more to go. I think it's worth it.
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am just starting to use this and I was wondering if it would be worth it. I have never been a huge fan of counting calories, but I was just wondering how some of you started out when using it. Do you just get into the rhythm of tracking all your food or does it take a lot of time to get used to it? I was just wanting some tips for a new user like myself. Thank you in advance.

This is a great app, if you use it daily! With that said, it is great all the time but if you do not log your calories and exercise to hold yourself accountable, it really doesn't do you any good. I love this app and it has changed me dramatically! I have lost almost 30 pounds recording my weight and food intake since June. The key is being accountable for your calories every day and including your exercise. When you put it on here, you can see your progress or where you are holding yourself down at. Good luck! :)