Grad Student Pressure

Options
I am a grad student and I have been having the hardest time managing my schedule to fit in a workout and the non stop deadlines for homework are ramping up my stress eating...agian. Does anyone have any advice on how to balance life better or keep myself from stress eating?

Replies

• brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yup...know exactly how you feel...I am on my fourth degree in five years with this being my second masters and I had gained over 30 pounds during that time...You HAVE to make time for yourself, even if it is just 15 minutes of walking around the block. I stress ate as well and chocolate was my favorite abused food or anything fattening to be exact. I learned that drinking 64 ounces of water helped curb my appetite and eating because it filled me up and eating protein also helped. How long until you are finished with your degree? I have to finish by March 30th and then I am free and clear!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Law student here, so I feel you. I lost 20 pounds before law school using MFP and now I've gained it back because balancing school and a healthy lifestyle is so hard. We can do it, though!

For me I have to set realistic goals - for example, before law school I worked out six days a week, now I'm happy with three or four days. I work out both days during the weekend since I don't have school then, and then I just have to work it in on two days during the week. I usually end up working out at night because that's the only time I have any spare time. I also don't aim for workouts that are too long - usually only 30 minutes or maybe an hour on the weekends.

Healthy eating is the other struggle. I'm usually gone from home about 14 hours of the day, during prime lunch and dinner hours. I often don't get home until around 11pm and there's no way I'm cooking a meal during that time. So I have to make a lot of healthy choices when eating away from home. I usually try to get a soup or salad, though sometimes I'll splurge and get pizza or something. No one's perfect ;) On the weekends I try to cook all my meals at home since that's when I'm home studying anyway.

Doing all of this and tracking everything with MFP, I'm seeing progress. It's a pain in the butt but I know it will be worth it when I'm back at my goal weight and I have a shiny law degree :) I'm sending you a friend request!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I have three basic strategies for coping, none of which are great:

(1) Work out enough that stress eating doesn't become a *weight* problem. (This strategy tends to swing me back and forth between overexercise=>injury and gaining weight)

(2) Find places to study and write with no food around.

(3) Stress-drink diet soda instead of stress eating.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

(2) Find places to study and write with no food around.

(3) Stress-drink diet soda instead of stress eating.

These two are favorites of mine, as well! I've recently become kind of addicted to diet Snapple teas...

Also, I try not to keep junk food in the house. So when I'm home (which is rare anyway), I'm not stress-snacking.

• ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the stress-drinking diet soda. I also use sugar-free chewing gum, and low-calorie jello to avoid stress-eating things with lots of calories.

Also, I think it can be helpful to know that prioritizing exercise actually will help with academics. Sometimes I think that I have no time to exercise - but in a way, it ends up buying me more time, because I think more efficiently after exercising.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When I was in school, I was in very good condition. I was also working and had three children, so it was a lot to juggle.

I made it a point to go to the gym every single morning before my day began. And that, at times, meant 5:30 am.

Working out first thing in the morning set the tone for the entire day.
  • rusha90
    rusha90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    sammib929 wrote: »
    I am a grad student and I have been having the hardest time managing my schedule to fit in a workout and the non stop deadlines for homework are ramping up my stress eating...agian. Does anyone have any advice on how to balance life better or keep myself from stress eating?

I completely get DAT as sumone who's pursuin der masters degree too... N I no hw d pressure of studies n d stress can cut into ur workout regime.
    But maybe u cud fix a time for ur workout, everyday , probably early morning .. N stick to it come wat may.. So no matter how busy u are or how stressed out , u don't miss it.. N maybe u won't overeat DAT day out of fear of ruining d gud work.. :-) u can do it!!!
  • lisamcoca
    lisamcoca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in pharmacy school, in the same boat. The first 6 months, totally gained back all I had lost through stress eating. Then, I started on here, started up c25k again, but I do resort to stress eating the day before tests. The latest one, I only took 2 hershey kisses with me to school, and the rest of the food I took (besides my lunch) was veggies. I was mad at myself later for only taking 2 kisses, but I made it work! And like everyone else is saying, you just have to make time. Take a small break, walk around campus, and then jump back in to studying- it'll help you focus better.
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I understand this completely! I'm struggling with this as well. My advice (although I'm in the same boat) is to make a list. I like to write down what i have to do that day and check it off whether it is go to class, meetings, or remembering to pack a healthy lunch or a walk. what you can do is tape your lectures or tape your notes and listen to them when you walk that way you are studied and exercising. hope that helps.
  • sammib929
    sammib929 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. It is glad to hear from some people who have the same struggle. We can do it!
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This may not work at your campus, but at mine, there was street parking about a mile away, so as long as I wasn't running late (sometimes a challenge also working 30+ hours a week), I got a good two mile walk four days a week. Then there was the whole not having time to eat thing...but I wouldn't recommend that!
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think I put on about 25 pounds in grad school (5 years counting internship) and really had no idea it had happened until afterwards.
  • Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I try to pre-pack snacks for long days at the library or do my best to study at home, that way I have cheap and easy access to healthier foods. Although it's not the most pleasant, I often make one or two big batches of healthy food and eat it for a bunch of meals during the week.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Getting a workout in at the beginning of the day before anything can interfere is really helpful. It centers you for the day. Also I portion all my snack foods as soon as I bring them in the house. That way I can't overdo. I understand the stress eating. Also take 10 minute breaks and walk, clear your mind and come back to work. You will be surprised as to how much more you will get accomplished.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat, as I am working on my dissertation. Yesterday I was struggling with stress eating while trying to get some writing done. I ate quite a lot of romaine lettuce, which didn't impact my calories. This past week I have done pretty well with food, and have made some progress on my dissertation, but my workouts haven't been up to snuff. It is hard to balance all three, but I am going into the coming week more determined. Good luck as you try to determine a workable strategy for your fitness and academic goals.
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Second semester grad student here. I feel your pain! I find myself eating way too much junk food, because it's quick. And when you never feel like you have enough time in the day, quick can take priority over healthy. Planning ahead is the only thing that works for me. I plan breakfasts on the go, lunches I can take with me, and crockpot dinners that are ready when I get back. Otherwise, I'd live off pizza and beer until after finals.
  • Bridesmomma107
    Bridesmomma107 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to what you are going through! I am stressed every day to meet deadlines. I have a family as well so trying to juggle home and school has been a challenge. I find that logging everything that I eat on MFP has helped me tremendously. My motivation is that I graduate in August and I don't want to look fat in my graduation pictures!! Feel free to send me a friend request - I am on MFP daily!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Organise yourself better, learn to study smarter, studying is a skill. If you get into the mindset that students are the busiest people on the planet, then youll start believing it.

Incorporate more movement into every day life, but youll get the workouts done if losing weight is important enough for you. You might want to tighten your logging first, check you are weighing and you have the basic math right.

For the workouts plan them, so you make best use of your time and put some effort in so you get the most out of them. I see lost of people wandering round aimlessly, on their mobiles or just doing 5 minutes. If you plan and know what you are doing you cna get in and out.

Dont forget a good workout has many positive effects, such as sending yourself the message you are on track, you are making the effort and I find once ive done whats needed I can focus on other things. Exercise has a good stressbusting effect.

If you are going to comfort eat because you have exams or essays to hand in, then find lower or no calorie alternatives or just prelog food to take it out of the equation. You might also wnat to make sure you shop well and have all the ingredients so you dont eat other stuff that just happens to be there. If you have to stress eat, then stress eat and just deal with the consequences. I wouldnt worry about it though. Is it going to happen often? Throughout your degree or just at exams?
  • SarahRMerts
    SarahRMerts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya, finishing up my undergrad and getting ready to pursue a masters. I don't really lose anything during my stressful times, but i have been abke to maintain my weight loss (a HUGE shock). I do a few things to help my stress eating...
    1) I keep some water near me...all the time. This goes back to the whole idea that you probably need to drink when you feel hungry. I've also found it help my stress eating though: stress eat/drink something that is better for you.

2) Chew gum! It can still be a challenge to not eat, but I've found that chewing gum really helps me. It pushes off my eating (who really wants to eat something after chewing mint gum). It gives me something to chew, fooling my brain. It also gives me something to take my stress out on, chewing as quickly as I want.

3) Carry snacks with you. I'll bring an apple (which is full of fiber to fill me up), raisins, granola and even some chocolate to eat when I get really stressed. It doesn't always work, but it is better than getting two more slices of pizza and a coke.

4) Take the stairs or the longer way to class. I will be the first to admit that, even with these other ideas, I still eat more than I should or what I shouldn't eat at all. The idea with this point is that I'm intentionally moving and burning calories. I may not burn everything off that I just stress ate, but it helps some.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a MSc and know what you mean. I find getting up and working out is good as it gets me out of my flat and focused on something other than school work. I have no other brilliant advice that others haven't said, but just know that you got this!