1200 Calorie Meal Plan Ideas

Options
I am struggling to only eat 1200 calories on the days I do not go to the gym. I just recently started and wanted to see some of your guys' meals plans or an example that would be helpful. Also are there any useful tips to fight cravings and the urge the grab "seconds"?

Replies

• ameliajane90
    ameliajane90 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can friend me, I'm eating 1200 cal a day too and I've found ways to stay below on non-gym days. Check out my diary. As for seconds, just learn to cut down your recipes! You can plug recipes into calculators online and halve them so that you aren't making 6 servings for 2 people. If there's no more food, you can't have seconds!

Pre-logging my meals helps with this too. I know exactly how many servings I can have of something before I even wake up (I log the night before, even on weekends) So if I want seconds or thirds I know it will put me over my limits and I can see exactly how that will impact my deficit for the day. I find that a lot more helpful than tracking as I go, logging seconds, and then ending up with 24 cal for dinner at the end of the day.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm eating between 1200-1300 daily.
    Breakfast: old fashioned oatmeal prepared with water & splenda. This holds me until lunch.

Lunch: high fiber sandwich skinny with turkey & hummus or avocado, Roasted or raw veggies

Dinner: lean protein, roasted veggies & whole grain (farro, bulgar, Quinoa,) prepared with low sodium chicken stock and maybe throw in some kale or spinach or maybe homemade veggie chili or other soup with FF sour cream

Snacks: banana, hummus/carrots, protein bar, orange, 1/2 avacado with 1/2 sandwich skinny or high fiber tortilla

I eat throughout the day and don't really sit for a full meal. Lots of veggies, whole grains & lean protein. I cook a few times a week and package into single servings.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Eat protein for breakfast, start lunch and dinner with soups, favor more protein, lower carbs, eat lots of veggies.
  • rubysky1978
    Options
    AmeliaJane90- I'm eating 1200-1300 on my off days. I know I need to eat more when I'm working out. I'm starving right now, (An off day) but afraid to eat because I don't wanna go over my goal. I'm also eating the same thing all the time. I'm getting bored. Do you have any plans I can look at?
  • ameliajane90
    Options
    I sent you a request. My biggest advise is to eat back you exercise calories. Those of us eating at the bottom end of things need to watch that we eat ENOUGH! Going under can be dangerous so don't be afraid to eat some back. I will leave some to maintain a deficit (100 or so usually) but if I'm starving after a work out I eat what I can and stay on plan.
    Find what fills you up. For me it's protein. A high protein meal keeps me full for 4-6 hours. For some, fiber works better. Find what works for you. If it helps start timing how long you go between meals. Look at which things keep you full the longest and work those in to your diet more often!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1200 calories is the lowest recommended net intake for women per most health care professionals.

AKA - you are struggling because you are not eating ENOUGH! What are your stats? You most likely are being too aggressive with your weight loss goals. You do not need to starve yourself to lose weight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    a steak, a little bread, and a bunch of veg.
  • ameliajane90
    Options
    Yes, it should be said I am 5 foot exactly. I'm short even as short women go. If you're starving, reevaluate your goals. Don't try and lose 2lb every week, try .5 or 1lb. Losing a bunch of weight really fast and then gaining it all back because you're starving and can't keep up that eating habit won't help you at all.
  • AngelaKim714
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Breakfast: old fashioned oatmeal prepared with water & splenda. This holds me until lunch.

Lunch: high fiber sandwich skinny with turkey & hummus or avocado, Roasted or raw veggies

Dinner: lean protein, roasted veggies & whole grain (farro, bulgar, Quinoa,) prepared with low sodium chicken stock and maybe throw in some kale or spinach or maybe homemade veggie chili or other soup with FF sour cream

Snacks: banana, hummus/carrots, protein bar, orange, 1/2 avacado with 1/2 sandwich skinny or high fiber tortilla

I eat throughout the day and don't really sit for a full meal. Lots of veggies, whole grains & lean protein. I cook a few times a week and package into single servings.

mmm that sounds AMAZING!!!! all of it. I will have to try making that high fiber sandwich for sure. Thank you for that. :)

• glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mfp first gave me 1200 cals per day, to lose .5kg per week. I'm 5.3 so not that tall either. I felt starving all the time and would often feel dizzy, faint and very irritable. Cravings and hunger aplenty. Summoning the energy to work out was difficult, despite eating back all my calories for exercise. I could last 10 days maximum then I'd end up saying screw it I can't sustain this and just eating whatever. I tried this same calorie amount a few times and failed each time. I've now changed my goal to .25kg per week which gives me 1490 cals per day. Those extra cals just keep me back from that brink, no more feeling shakey, dizzy or faint and not irritable and i have the energy to work out. And i still go over some days, but not as often. If it's too much of struggle it's unlikely to be sustainable long term. If possible, try a slower goal, and be reassured that though weight may not come off as fast, you still can't be gaining either, be as kind to yourself as you can be in the process :)
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm eating legume and grain recipes and they fill me up with little calories, it's actually hard for me to eat my calorie goal (this is from an overeater), I'm nourished and feel great, i recommend looking for recipes like these.
  • MrsBennefield
    MrsBennefield Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I'm at 1200 a day too. In the beginning it can be hard if you're used to eating a lot more, but as your stomach shrinks you will most likely start feeling full before finishing your meal. Eat slower so your body has time to tell your brain you are full and drinking water between bites has worked for me. I still eat whatever I want, just less portions. Check out my diary.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1,200 also. At first I felt hungry quite often, but I stuck with it. I'm a little over 5 weeks in and it doesn't bother me anymore. I find things to snack on to keep me going through the day. One thing I like to make recently is a big omelet. I use 1 egg(70 calories), 6 tablespoons of egg whites(50 calories), 1 teaspoon olive oil(40 calories), and 1/4 cup of low calorie pizza cheese(80 calories). I saute yellow onion, mushrooms, and spinach in just a teensy bit of olive oil, for the filling. Ofc salt/pepper to taste. It makes a big tasty omelet for well under 300 calories. I think it's great for dinner. I'm also a big fan of Chobani Greek 100 or Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt cups. And I snack on pretzel sticks quite a bit. I also highly recommend making big pots of veggie soups. They're low in calories, fill you up, and can be kept on hand for days.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    you felt hungry because you aren't eating enough.

fyi.

Unless you're like, a dwarf.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try eating more fats and proteins. People on diets have a tendency to avoid them because they have more calories per gram, but they fill you up better and keep you feeling full longer than carbs. Keep your carbs at a minimum.
  • jujuev
    jujuev Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've also been trying to stick with 1200 cal a day. I do oatmeal in the morning have fruit for snack sometimes fruit and cottage cheese. Lunch I'll have egg salad sandwich with hummus and carrots or turkey wrap. I try to stay under 500 cal. Then dinner I try to find a recipe at around 500 cal- Pinterest is a great resource for yummy healthy recipes. That pretty much puts me at 1200. If I exercise that day (I go 3x a week) then sometimes I allow myself a small snack/dessert after dinner. I don't tend to log my workouts cuz I don't always want to eat back my calories. I always have a veggie with dinner and either quinoa or brown rice for my carb and only 1/2 c serving. Meat tends to be chicken fish or ground turkey.
  • ragardiner
    ragardiner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am also on the 1200 calorie a day. I go over a bit but exercise leaves me a bit under! I just started this app and would love to have some accountability friends that are in the same count so we could share food ideas! I've got my macros set for 40% carb 30% fat 30% protein ! Going to see how that works out! Feel free to add me! I eat healthy (most days)
  • RedPanda85
    RedPanda85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my meals at 300 cals each with three 100 calorie snacks. That's my goal at least. I haven't quite accomplished it but it helps to think about it in those terms.

I keep lots of low cal snacks around. Greek yogurt. Cottage cheese. Baby carrots. And some yummy mix ins - no sugar added fruit preserves, muesli, hummus.

I try To stick with soups for lunch. And I aim for a high fiber high protein dinner. I also read that it's important to keep a little fat in your diet to keep feeling full. So I might do a teaspoon of olive oil in a salad or with my dinner.

I found a delicious recipe for meatless stuffed peppers. Low cal and high protein. Felt really full afterwards!
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds in 6 months. I started with 1300 calories a day and now for me to lose 2 pounds a week i have it set to around 1150. I find that eating already prepared meals is easier for me to stick to my calorie goals, because there are no "seconds". I eat the burrito, or tamale or can of soup and then its done. I also dont snack during the day besides veggies and fruit. I usually save all my snacks like almonds and yogurt for the end of the night, after I see how many calories I have left for the day. Sometimes I'll have 300 calories left after dinner, and ill get to have lots of snacks to watch a movie with or some wine! I also drink lots of flavored sparkling water through out the day, because it tastes delicious, has no calories or fake sugar, and it keeps me full. Here are some examples of foods I eat. I keep my meals between 250-400 calories each. Hope this helps you!

breakfast- two scrambled eggs with a romeros tortilla(only 77 calories!).
    -frozen steelcut oatmeal with a half a tablespoon of peanut butter

lunch- a turkey sandwich. a half a slice of pepperjack, a small amount of mayo and plenty of mustard.
    -trader joes tamale
    -can of minestrone soup
    -chicken salad sandwich with pickles

dinner- pasta with some butter and marinara
    - a frozen trader joes burrito
    - trader joes personal pizza
    - trader joes tikka masala or butter chicken

snacks: fruit, cucumber with lime and salt, roasted almonds, sliced tomato with salt and pepper, greek yogurt, a macaroon
  • vanessangonzalez
    vanessangonzalez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »

Sounds good! What's a "high fiber sandwich skinny"??