Discouraged...

Options
I see all these people who have just recently started the weight loss journey and have lost 10-15 pounds in only a month... I've only lost 5. I need to know from those that have done it, what's your secret?? I think I'm working out hard and burning lots of calories, and eating relatively well, but I'm only maintaining. HELP!!

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and dont watch cals...
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - I only lost eleven my first two months. But that's five and eleven in the right direction, right? And you will get lots of advice and encouragement on here. Stick to it. Five pounds is not bad at all.
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    the only thing i can say to this is to stop focusing on how quickly you are losing weight and to start focusing on the fact that you have lost weight! 5 pounds in a month is awesome. you are awesome. a loss is great and you should look at the positive side of your weight loss instead of the negative. maybe add some new workouts in your plan. change up your eating a bit. try new things and figure out what works best for you :) good luck!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Also, it is very helpful if you have your food diary public.
  • Firewhirrrl
    Firewhirrrl Posts: 144
    Options
    There really are so many things in the mix.

1. Water weight can sometimes be a factor.
    2. Obese people will loose weight faster then a person close to their goal.

I was also loosing weight at what I thought was a slow goal.
    People were also passing me by.

I then realized that a lot of people were on the HGC diet.
    The HCG is a hormone which has been isolated and is taken to (( among other things))
    Allow for a very low calorie diet ( 600 calories).

And since you consume so few calories, it is a lot easier to loose the weight at a faster rate.
  • paced2day
    paced2day Posts: 55
    Options
    Are you breast feeding? I'm only asking cause I notice the 3 month old listed on your info and because three of my sisters and I are like this-- we cannot lose any weight until after we wean our babies. Some women are totally the opposite, but I would say if you are in the kind of position I was-- do healthy things for yourself and enjoy your baby till the timing allows for more focus on your diet. With a young baby I always forgot to drink enough water, always forgot to have healthy snacks (to keep up my metabolism) and had mad crazy cravings. Maybe a better focus in those simple areas would bring some relief. Best wishes!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Smile, you're on the right track.
    Any Loss is Better than No Loss!
    Try to consume your carbs before 4pm or 6pm
    Good Luck!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses weight differently. Heavier people will have a bigger loss than people who are closer to their ideal weight.

You've lost 5lbs in a month - that's fantastic!

BTW, I am a person who doesn't lose weight on a weekly basis. I will sit at a weight for a LONG time and then suddenly overnight? I'll drop 7lbs.

Don't get discouraged. All of our bodies are different. :)
  • Firewhirrrl
    Firewhirrrl Posts: 144
    Options
    Ok:
    So I started at 189.
    I walked every day during lunch for an hour. I did exercises ( Jillian michales) with hand weights...
    And I lost 40 lbs in a full year.
    I stalled a lot and would stay at the same weight for over a month at a time.

Then I radically changed my diet. I lost more weight. It came off faster at this time.
    I got down to 133.

Then I did the HCG. I lost 11 lbs in 31 days.

So that's my story. It's been two full years.
    I am just now happy with my weight.
    My goal is only 15lbs from where I am now...

It takes time... And learning... And CHANGING... and healing.... And growing... And loving yourself. Managing your stress,
    Learning about food and which ones are good and bad for you personally.

I have had the time of my life learning about myself and my body.
    I actually know now how to eat food to give myself energy naturally.
    I cured my headaches...

So many rewards, not just weight loss... But health and well being.. Best luck.
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sometimes losing weight at slower rate is actually good because it can lead to keeping the weight off rather than a quick loss that may come back again. I would say that 5lbs in a month is pretty good and that any doctor would agree with me. But just as everyone else said there could be a ton of things affecting the rate at which you are losing. Do you exercise? Have you measured yourself? Perhaps you are losing inches. It could be water weight. Also keep in mind that us ladies may have fluctuations in our weight during that right time of the month. Just hang in there and don't give up. :)
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i know its old and probably a cliche but everyone's weight loss will vary....i, personally, dont lose alot of weight at one time, i lose like a little over a pound a week....it's a start....although you work out hard and sweat buckets of sweat like i do im sure sometimes it can feel like youre getting nowhere....however, as long as you are trying and applying all you have your hard work will pay off in the long run....DONT QUIT.....
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in a month is nothing to be discouraged at. Actually, to be honest, that's a HEALTHY weight loss for women. I would just focus on eating right (VERY IMPORTANT) and staying active. Make it a point to exercise every day if possible, or at least every other day.

Look at it this way: Suppose you are 5'4 and 200lbs. If you lose 5 lbs a month, you will be at 125 lbs in 13 months. Thats barely over a year to massively transform the way you look, feel and live.

Just remember, people lose weight at different speeds. All that means is you might have to work harder. It still doesn't change why you wanted to get healthy in the first place, right?

Be happy, because you are well on your way!