Where did I go wrong this week?

Options
Over the last 3 weeks I've lost 7lbs.

This week I felt able to start exercising again, so I've completed four 20 minute cardio sessions at light/moderate level, plus a little extra walking. I'm very heavy, currently at 330lbs - I was 375lbs at my all time heaviest so it's going in the right direction, albeit slowly. I'm also a bit restricted as I have fibromyalgia, and have days where its a struggle to even stand up, let alone do a workout, but I'm trying to overcome it.

I just completed my weekly weigh-in, and I've not lost an ounce! My intake levels are around the same, so I just can't understand why my body does this to me. It seems to be a bit of a pattern, a few good losses, then a bit of a plateau, but I was really hoping that the additional exercise might just have helped.

Any ideas please?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Since you're now working out - you might be gaining some muscle. When this happens, you won't show a loss on the scale. Are you measuring yourself? This is one thing I didn't do and I regret it. I truly think this journey would have been a lot less painful had I taken measurements vs relying simply on the scale.

Also, I'm not the kind who loses weight each week. I will sit at a certain weight for a LONG time and then suddenly overnight? I drop 7lbs.

Make sure you're eating enough, drinking enough water and sleeping enough. Also, don't stress about it.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When you start excersising, you do small damage to your muscles. You feel that as muscle pain, but whne that pain is gone it doesnt nessecarily mean that they are fixed. When they are 'damaged' they need more water in order to fix themselves. So whilst muscle weighs more then fat, you dont gain it that fast. It probably is water weight that will just drop off when you start excersising more and your body gets used to it.
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    7lbs in 3 weeks is nothing to cry at, 1 lb a week is healthy weight loss, you're on the right track!

I recently had a similar thing where I wasn't losing and thought JUST incorporating exercise would help, and at first it really didn't. It didn't start really working until I ate all of my exercise calories. I know it's counter-intuitive, it almost killed me, but slowly and surely it is working.

Think of it like this, you're making your body a better metabolizing machine, and it needs more fuel to be efficient. Definitely keep exercising, it builds muscle which burns fat, but feed your body at the same time. Also remember that if you've been eating the same exact thing every day for the past few months, your body might be craving a change, same calories - different foods. That has also helped me.

Keep up the good work!
  • dietingforgood
    dietingforgood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think we all hit plateaus at some point or another... they can be triggered by the most random stuff like hormones, where you are in cycle, or how your metabolism is affected by the diet. The only thing I can suggest is to change things up a little bit, keep your body guessing what you will do for it next. If you had a set eating routine, maybe you can change the quantity and frequency of meal times. If exercising is a problem, take a break and forgive yourself for the break, your body obviously needs it. To compensate for the lack of exercise, maybe you could lower your calorie intake (as long as it is still within safe limits), and eat lighter meals throughout the day instead of three solid meals.

I can't tell you much more since I don't know what kind of diet you're on and what your goals and limitations are, but I've found that when I hit a plateau, changing things up (even if it mean taking a break from the diet in a way that doesn't lead to weight gain) really helps, and after a couple weeks my body is ready to lose weight again...

I hope it helps! Also, keep in mind that you haven't GAINED anything, which is SO much more encouraging than looking at it from the perspective of not losing weight. Just be patient with yourself and your body, and give your body enough time to really lose weight in a way that doesn't affect your metabolism or body functions! You have lost A LOT of weight already, give yourself credit for all your hard work! You can totally reach your final goal :)
  • biancamirella
    biancamirella Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's definitely tough when you've had that kind of success and then hit a plateau. Just keep up the good work, stay consistent! It's natural for the weight loss to level out at certain point. All you need to do is keep the diet and workouts up and your body will eventually start dropping again. One of my favorite motivational quotes: You have to hit a wall in order to break through it :)
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    One week does not a plateau make. If you honestly logged and got your exercise - win!!! You might just lose on a fortnightly basis, be patient, strong and keep up the good work, you did nothing wrong and it will go down eventually.

GG
  • chillijam1
    chillijam1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hi dont get dispondent it happens to everyone ,i experiance it at least every four to five weeks or if ive lost 2lb in one week i wont lose anything the following week ,the key is to make sure you keep doing what your doing as long as it moves again next week the weight again.your body also is getting use to your weight loss it take time for it to adjust ,for example its like take you from the warmth to the cold you first stand ridged with shock of the cold this is whats happening to your body ,youve started losing weight and now this week youve started exercising ,once your bodys adjusted it will shift the weight again and also tone up the body to.its only way i could explain what it happening to you.dont fall off the wagon because youve not lost any weight this week look at it this way you havent put on any on even though youve stayed the same,this to me is a bonus ,thats how i look at it.
    if you need any more help add as a friend and i would be happy to help you on your travel to a slim you.:smile:
  • Sarahclarke82
    Sarahclarke82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've been doing this since the start of the year and my body's pattern is to lose consistently for 2 or 3 weeks and then not budge for the next week or 2. I just keep doing what I'm doing and it then starts moving again. It just seems to be how my body works, it seems to need a couple of weeks to adjust to the weight that has come off and then it sorts itself out and loses the next bit! I know that there are other MFP'ers who have the same pattern so just stick with it and I'm sure the scales will shift soon. :)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Firstly, go you for starting a new exercise regime - that's fantastic! Are you feeling any benefit yet? Secondly, from what I was told when I started my regime, our muscles hang onto water for a while, so it is entirely possible this is what is happening with you. And as was just said, you haven't gained, which is great. Additionally, our bods aren't clockwork machines, so it's probably unrealistic to expect them to behave in the same way, week in, week out. My advice would be to just relax, stick to your food and exercise plans, and let your body sort itself out. We're in this for life, so there is no point making things more difficult for ourselves by stressing over things!

Incidentally, muscle doesn't weigh heavier than fat! A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat! However, muscle takes up less space, which is why it is possible to be smaller but weigh the same. So it's more accurate to say that muscle weighs more than fat by volume. And it takes a while to burn fat and build muscle. Certainly, this isn't going to be the case for anyone just starting on their fitness plan.

Anyway, keep on doing what you're doing, and it will all fall into place soon! :smile:
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Our bodies don't often lose it in a nice predictable pattern. You may have no loss this week but you could get on next week and have lost a few. Try not to overthink it or change much unless you're stuck for a few weeks. Some things to think about though:

1 - Add sodium to what you track on your food diary to see if it is too high. You could just be retaining some extra water. There is so much sodium in processed foods especially and it adds up fast!

2 - Drink TONS of water!

It's great you're trying to get in some exercise, that is certainly good for your body. What you eat though is the biggest factor in losing fat. Make sure you're eating as balanced a diet as you can, getting in all your nutrients and eating foods that are as healthy as possible too.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Chatterbox, I'm feeling the SAME way this week. I've been consistently losing about 2 pounds a week, and this week I've either been .5 up or .5 down -- going between two numbers! It's driving me crazy.

My hubby keeps telling me it's just gonna happen sometimes and to NOT let it discourage me, so I'm cheering you on in the same way! I think some weeks are just gonna be off, but don't let it get to you!!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to lose a lot of weight easily when you first begin a diet. It is mostly water weight and your body sheds it readily. After those first few weeks, your body starts giving up fat, but it's a slower process. Exercise will only help, but you may not see the effects on the scale for a couple of weeks as your body gets the message that it's going to have to give up some of that fat to survive the new lifestyle.

It can be discouraging to step on the scale and see no change, I think most of us can understand that, but I promise you, sticking with it is worth it, even when the needle doesn't move. I recommend you take stock of the reasons you wanted to eat healthier and exercise. If weight loss is the only thing you come up with, dig a little deeper. Feeling healthier, physically and emotionally is it's own great reward and sometimes being in touch with that is the only thing that has kept me going when the scale didn't give me the attagirl I was looking for.

Good luck!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if I've learned anything about my personal weight loss, is I could be sticking to it perfectly, and some weeks, I just won't lose on the scale. I started taking measurements, and that's helped to prove to myself that I'm shrinking. But overall, sometimes you won't lose anything. At least, that's true for me. You just have to find a way to not let it discourage you.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I had another maintain again this week, but at least I haven't gained.

When I went back over my menus, I've been quite a bit below my daily limits on around 4 days a week - I've made sure I'm eating my calories this week, so fingers crossed for a result of some sort, but NOT a gain!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Third week of maintaining! I know its better than a gain,but I was hoping it would have started to shift again by now.

I suppose it's my body's way of telling me to rethink!