Portion Size Shock

Options
This is my first proper week using MFP and going well, it is so friendly here.

I decided this morning to weigh my cereal and was shocked, my usual bowl of Special K with skimmed milk, I found I was having 80g of cereal and 200ml of skimmed milk.

Think I need to get a smaller bowl :wink:

It has shown me that I need to look at everything I do and question it. I had assumed I was eating the normal portions size but was eating 150 more calories than I was writing down.

Lesson learned, moving on, I can do it this time.

Replies

• oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Yep, portion size has been a real issue for me. I honestly didn't realise how much I was eating of "normal" foods (obviously I knew I was eating too much junk food!). I know now that I was eating at least twice the regular portion size of nearly everything. Now that I know better, I do better! :smile:
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    I remember when I did this with my Bran Flakes - slight shocker!

Atleast now it'll be logged properly ay? :smile:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    proper portion sizes of cereal are so measley. They would never keep me going for long. As a result, i hardly eat cereal :(
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I continue to be shocked when I find out how many calories are in so many items that I previously didn't pay that much attention to.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    good digital kitchen scales are one of the best weight-loss aids you can buy
  • createdbyGod
    Options
    cereals are tricky, i tell you.they seem so innocent, but they got way too much baddies in them. I eat now wheetabix (2 slices), it is already measured for me so i dotn have to weight it. I add a spoon of sugar,,cocoa powder,hartleys no added sugar jelly and banana and i got yummy filling breakfast under 300 cal.
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yeah i was the same with cereal! But i limit it now to maybe once or twice a week. The same goes for pasta, i was shocked at just how little there was in one portion. Before i would just fill the plate but one portion is so small (75g) so i decided to use a smaller plate when having it so it wouldnt feel so measly! :P
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've given up on cereals as well because they didn't keep me full before I started working on weight loss, and when I found out the proper portion size, I knew it was a hopeless cause. I think learning proper portions has been one of the best things of the whole MFP experience. It opened my eyes to how much I was overeating and is now giving me control over the food I love rather than letting the food control me.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Getting better scales has also been an eyeopener for me - I started calorie counting with some mechanical scales, then switched to some salters and found that my mechanical scales were way off the mark when weighing a lot of things.