why no calories for strength training??

Options
Hey hey! I am new to this app but just wondering why we don't earn any extra calories for strength training. - sorry if this is a dumb question. I am doing high intensity resistance training for 30 mins 3/times a week (lunges, burpees, sit ups, squats etc)/and doing weight training 3 times a week too. I only ask because I am sweating after these workouts so wondering why this doesn't contribute to calories in the app? Thanks

Replies

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Search under cardiovascular for strength training. The weights section is just for recording your workout (weights used and reps). The burn for strength training is low.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    too difficult to measure and the calories burned in weight training are not that significant.. just log it as 1 calorie

you can log your HIIT though
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Have to say that even though I agree that the calories burned during weight training are difficult to measure, they are definitely significant and definitely more that 1 calorie.

My weight training sessions last for approximately 80 mins, and especially when I am on an edurance training phase my height rate is high and I can be pouring with sweat, definitely hard work.

I do agree that the calorie burn during the exercise will not be as great as, for example, running for 80 mins, but due to the muscle staying active (muscle doesn't technically relax after weight training and stays active for up to 24hrs in preparation of you using it again (yes I understand this is a relatively simple way of explaining it)) you will continue to burn additional calories for up to 24hrs after a weight training session. It has therefore been stated that weight training can be considered a very effective form of exercise to aid in weightloss.

Plus, the more lean muscle you carry, the more calories you will burn as more calories are consumed in order to sustain muscle than fat.
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    strength training doesn't burn a LOT of calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics, strength training and circuit training are all options under the CV tab - choose the one most appropriate to your training.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    (as i understand it) the strength training itself doesn't necessarily burn that many during the workout - where the advantage comes in is in strength itself, leaner muscle mass, and the fact that even when 'resting' that lean muscle burns more calories than fat, so it has benefits that exceed actual ' active burn'.

I will fully admit, I may NOT be 100% correct on all that, but that is how *I* understood it when my brother explained it to me (hes a certified athletic trainer and my go to for 'dumb' questions. LOL)
  • alcurran33
    alcurran33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks- I wondered this as well
  • jcorridan
    Options
    Thanks guys ..really helpful
  • purtchiarn
    purtchiarn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor and wear that while I am working out. While the calorie burn is not the same as intense cardio it is still quite significant especially circuit training. I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor if you have the spare funds.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    purtchiarn wrote: »
    I have a heart rate monitor and wear that while I am working out. While the calorie burn is not the same as intense cardio it is still quite significant especially circuit training. I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor if you have the spare funds.

HRMs are completely inaccurate for calculating the burn from anaerobic activity such as weight lifting. There is not a direct relationship between the elevated HR and calories burned.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    (as i understand it) the strength training itself doesn't necessarily burn that many during the workout - where the advantage comes in is in strength itself, leaner muscle mass, and the fact that even when 'resting' that lean muscle burns more calories than fat, so it has benefits that exceed actual ' active burn'.

I will fully admit, I may NOT be 100% correct on all that, but that is how *I* understood it when my brother explained it to me (hes a certified athletic trainer and my go to for 'dumb' questions. LOL)

It isn't much though! Maybe 50-100 cals extra a day if you're lucky.

But there's so many benefits. I log it as strength training.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hahaha. I laugh when people log Yoga as exercise, frankly.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    purtchiarn wrote: »

HRMs are completely inaccurate for calculating the burn from anaerobic activity such as weight lifting. There is not a direct relationship between the elevated HR and calories burned.

He speaks the truth
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Calories in weight training can be significant if it is vigorous as suggested by the Harvard article