Stress, Depression and Weight Loss

Options
I keep reading about how stress can prevent/slow weight loss, this week. Is this actually true?!

I am probably one of the most stressed-out women, ever.

Wondering, then, does depression affect weight loss/dieting? And seeing results?!

Replies

• KCB1978
    KCB1978 Posts: 113
    Options
    It certainly does :( I am currently working on sorting out my mental wellbeing inline with my physical wellbeing and finding it a little easier :)
  • mrstudz
    mrstudz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    pretty sure i remember learning about this in psych class....when your mind becomes stressed your body sets off a chain reaction linked to survival instincts i believe, releasing cortisol because stress is perceived as a threat subconsciously

Someone will probably correct me but from what i recall cortisol basically shuts down your metabolism temporarily as a defense mechanism, because subconciously your mind is trying to prepare your body in case you get injured, or will have difficulty finding food etc.

So yeah extended periods of stress can lead to weight gain, but i am remembering this from like 10 years ago.
  • HeatherFriesen
    HeatherFriesen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depression definitely correlates with weight loss. Lack of appetite or comfort eating can occur. Not to mention the different side effects of the millions of antidepressant drugs out there... I'm in the process of juggling my mental well being and my physical well being - easier said than done!
  • PrincessLynn2010
    PrincessLynn2010 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Definitely easier said than done.

I'm working to that end, as well.

And I had a "Duh!" moment, when Heather mentioned binge eating. I do that. :-(
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help, but my experience has been that YES, stress makes me gain weight and depression makes me gain weight. But I've also found that cardio is a great stress reliever and anti-depressant (and it burns calories--win/win!!).

Four years ago, when I was in a horribly toxic work environment and deeply depressed, I started karate, lost 20 pounds, and reduced my stress and depression to completely functional levels. Counseling helped a lot, too, but I noticed a definite mood boost on the days I exercised compared to the days I didn't. Exercise was my lifeline.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    pretty sure i remember learning about this in psych class....when your mind becomes stressed your body sets off a chain reaction linked to survival instincts i believe, releasing cortisol because stress is perceived as a threat subconsciously

Someone will probably correct me but from what i recall cortisol basically shuts down your metabolism temporarily as a defense mechanism, because subconciously your mind is trying to prepare your body in case you get injured, or will have difficulty finding food etc.

So yeah extended periods of stress can lead to weight gain, but i am remembering this from like 10 years ago.

Close! Cortisol signals the body to breakdown muscle (which can lower BMR, which may be why you think of it as shutting down the metabolism), and to store fat primarily in the midsection where it is considered the most dangerous. Cortisol levels also increase when we fast for more then 4-6 hours. Thats why it is recommended to eat every 3 hours during the day and to eat soon after waking up in the morning. Some body builders actually wake up in the middle of the night to eat so that they don't get the normal cortisol spike in the middle of the night and can prevent any little loss in muscle mass.

Depression can cause similar spikes in cortisol because of the chemical changes in the brain and their effect on various hormone levels (seratonin, epinephrine, norepinephrine, cortisol, etc.) Anti-depressants aren't much better because they can stimulate cortisol production too.

My best recommendation for either is to exercise. Exercise stimulates the "happy" hormones to help alleviate the stress and depression. The fat and calorie burning helps too. :wink:
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Until I dealt with my mental health issues, self esteem and everything else that was bugging me I "failed" at diet after diet.

I've lost 33lbs since I sorted my head out.

Stress can cause you to retain weight but I always found that stress/depression held me back from doing what I needed to do.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think stress affects us all differently. A friend of mine was under considerable stress at work due to a merger, working extended hours for several months and such. She lost about 50 lbs. It was incredible. For me, though, stress makes me gain weight. But depression can make it hard to make good decisions about your health. Is there someone you can talk to?
  • TennisLoveGirl
    TennisLoveGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who eats when I'm down. I wish I was one who lost her appetite!! Oh well! :happy: