Beginning runner needing advice

Options
Cass0208
Cass0208 Posts: 25 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello,

My name is Cass and I'm hoping to begin running. Is there anyone out there who has begun a running regime and can pass on any advice?

I've always liked the idea and am finally game enough to try, I have downloaded an app that talks you through a running/walking combination for three days each week at roughly 15-20 minute intervals and supposedly if followed your body should be able to handle 5ks in 8 weeks. I've read through the fundamentals of running article in the fitness and exercise, now I'm just looking more for the mindset side of it :)

Also if there are any runners looking for a support system, please send a friend request, it would be wonderful to have a commonality like running with someone!

Thank-you in advance.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like couch to 5k? if so its a great beginner programme.

My advice is good running shoes that you have been fit for.
  • Cass0208
    Cass0208 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thankyou, I appreciate that! That's the one! Fingers crossed it goes well! :)
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I assume the programme you are following is C25K (couch to 5k)? While I've never followed it, I know a few people who've had success using it so it seems like a good starting point. From others comments I would say that, although it is an 8 week course, don't be disheartened if you find yourself falling off pace with it and having to repeat weeks or not being as fast as the course seems to expect you to be as everyone has different physiologies.

My main tips would be
    Don't do too much too fast or you will end up with an injury and unable to do anything.
    Don't compare yourself to others, go at your own pace and if you want to compete with someone compete with yourself.
    Enjoy yourself, running can be enjoyable believe it or not, try to find something you like about it and the entire experience will be a lot more pleasant.
  • GraemeMcC
    GraemeMcC Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    The only other piece of advice I can give, in addition to those above, is to try and find a friend that also wants to do it. It is far easier to get out when you have arranged to meet people. A group of friends is even better as there is less chance of calling off if one person cannot make it.

Good luck with it, once you get into a routine of getting out it becomes easier.