elliptical or treadmil?

Options
Im having a difficult time,I hae to be doing something wrong, I will use both the elliptical and treadmill depends if im home or at the Y when I workout, but it seems like I burn less cals on the elliptical...May be a silly fix but how can I set a similar workout for both? A lil lost in Kansas, any advice would be great! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• binnsy29
    binnsy29 Posts: 1
    Options
    You really have to increase the effort level on elliptical to match that of a run on a treadmill. You need to get your hart rate up. I can burn about the same as on a treadmill if I really push it. I couldn't last as long on it though! Good luck.
  • Damnian
    Damnian Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually burn more on the eliptical lol most important thing to do is add more tension for more of a burn and you will definitely see results and burn more cals :) good luck
  • rivera_72084
    Options
    Okay so the higher the number on the tension button is better? I burn less on the elliptical from what the machine says but my legs always feel like jello after being on the treadmill...so the higher the tension the more work it is?
  • rivera_72084
    Options
    You really have to increase the effort level on elliptical to match that of a run on a treadmill. You need to get your hart rate up. I can burn about the same as on a treadmill if I really push it. I couldn't last as long on it though! Good luck.

My heart rate is always up Im always above the cardio sensor..If that makes any sense lol One last question Should I drink water while working out I thought someone told me looong time ago that wasnt a good idea, messes up what I sweat or something?
    I know I know Im laughing at myself over here also...I feel so Dumb for asking these kinda quesions lol
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Before you even start worrying about this - get a heart rate monitor - the machines give you an approximation and most of the time it is out anyway.... A HRM is a lot more accurate. According to the machines I do more work on the elliptical but in reality its the other way around as I am more efficient on this machine,

That said - there are only two ways to increase burn rate - add speed or add resistance.
  • last_time11
    last_time11 Posts: 68
    Options
    because I have injured knees I can't use a treadmill, I'm only allowed to run on sand which is fine by me coz I HATE running :)

I do burn quite well on the elliptical,

My trainer, during my induction at the gym, gave me some extra tips while using the elliptical,

your posture, keep a straight back and your shoulders back, suck your stomach in and tense your stomach muscles,
    really use effort in the arm movements and twist as you go back and forth so it works your waist muscles too
  • rivera_72084
    Options
    Thanks Last time im going to deff try those tips and Mikey Im deff going to go pick up one of those monitors thanks for the advice! :heart:
  • carlye14
    carlye14 Posts: 53
    Options
    Try the workout programs on the ellipticals. If your elliptical doesn't have them, up the resistance and the incline and keep a steady pace. Also, try doing intervals to burn more calories. When I do this, I burn more calories on the elliptical than on the treadmills!