Getting Started - again (with all kinds of demotivating factors)

Options
salad_bar
salad_bar Posts: 66 Member
Hey all,

Thought I'd start posting again after taking a brief hiatus.

The last two weeks have been just downright crap. Disappointments, stress, etc. Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and to cap it all off, I saw the opportunity of a lifetime vanish in front of my eyes.

The last thing I want to do is exercise. Really. Even though my clothes don't fit and I'm basically down to wearing one pair of tights, I don't have the energy or motivation to exercise right now.

But, I suppose it has to be done. At the end of the day, I have to break out of this miserable rut somehow. Right now, that's the only thing I can think of that I have absolute control over.

L.

Replies

• KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Well getting in ruts sucks! I know, I've been there. We all have. Gotta hang tough though and work through it. That's what winners do. Losers give up when the going gets tough and that's not you!
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i am feeling like that now!!! I had an all eating weekend and feel like crap. But I want this!!! I am tired of being tired!!! WE can do this!!! Let's not let our misery stop us from being the best we can be!! Best of luck to you!!! Feel free to add me and we can motivate each other!!1
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you can't find the energy to get sweaty in a stinky gym, neither can I anymore ;-) been there, done that. But if you try walking, about 30 minutes a day will help you get started. With me this helps alot. Plus, it clears my mind and gives me peace and calmth. Not sure if this will help for you, but maybe it's worth a try. It would be even better if you could find a dog somewhere (borrow one from your neighbor for a walk ;-) ) this makes the walking more fun and time will pass quicker.
    Hang in there! And keep in mind that you're not alone in this...
  • DeeDeeS13
    DeeDeeS13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sending good wishes. Fortunately, I enjoy moving, so exercise is almost a treat to me most of the time. I do a lot at home - stepping/walking in place, jogging in place, I have a mini-trampoline, a small stepper (just the steps, not a big machine). I find I get decent exercise on all of these, plus handweights with any cardio. It all counts. Even 10 minutes of exercise is better than nothing. Hoping you find your motivation!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I've been in the same rut. I blame it on the unusually bad winter weather and the time change. Can't possibly be my fault, hah! But I'm crawling out from it now that spring is nearly here. My dog is loving it. And before I got my dog, had I known how many indoor dogs there were in my neighborhood who stay inside all day, I would have volunteered to walk their dogs. But I didn't know until I got mine last August and heard all the dogs barking at us from inside their houses when we took walks. So sad that all those dogs are stuck in the house all day.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Sending good wishes. Fortunately, I enjoy moving, so exercise is almost a treat to me most of the time. I do a lot at home - stepping/walking in place, jogging in place, I have a mini-trampoline, a small stepper (just the steps, not a big machine). I find I get decent exercise on all of these, plus handweights with any cardio. It all counts. Even 10 minutes of exercise is better than nothing. Hoping you find your motivation!

There are sooo many ways that you can sneak in exercise! Now if I could only remember that . . .
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I swing from full motivation to zero several times a day! One of the things that sucks about being grown up is that we are responsible for ourselves! No-one can make us do things we don't want to do. I answer to no -one except myself.

The one thing that motivates me is the knowledge of how great I will feel once it's done. Sometimes I don't think about what I'm doing, I just put my trainers on and go. Keep in mind all those extra calories that you are earning so you can have a little treat at the end of the day. You only have to earn 200 calories and you can have a milky way bar! (98 calories)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It sucks soemtimes so cut yourself some slack. Execricse can be a choire but at times like this it cna also provide an outlet for you to burn off energy and swutch off from all the rubbish thats been going on. Go with it rather than fighing it and you might find it helps rather than hinders your general wellbeing.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say, my whole life has been the same way.

I struggle with anxiety and depression, but exercise has actually helped me overcome that. I had the nervous habit of biting my nails since I was six years old. Since I started exercising, I've actually stopped that. Exercise is that time when I don't have to think about my stressors, and it's just me, my music, and my feet.

Getting the motivation sucks, but do it every day, or every other day. Force yourself to smile when you do it-- it makes you feel better. It's worth it, I promise!
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind all those extra calories that you are earning so you can have a little treat at the end of the day. You only have to earn 200 calories and you can have a milky way bar! (98 calories)

Personally, I find that trying to loose weight and then rewarding yourself with food is a bit of a downfall. Why not reward yourself with a new pair of shoes or a long hot bubblebath?

65fb3b031872ba7515edf5f2d4c2fbe9_zpseyiozi70.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Not being able to exercise is just another excuse that people use to justify poor eating habits.
  • salad_bar
    salad_bar Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It just keeps getting better (insert sarcasm). For some odd reason, I have absolutely zero cravings for junk food or overeating. I usually am quite the opposite when it comes to stress.