You gotta love MAXINE

NB_Lady
NB_Lady Posts: 107 Member
edited September 2022 in Chit-Chat
MAXINE's wise words of wisdom

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for?less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and?less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.?

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon
if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful.
But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
So many have never laughed and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.?

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care?less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worry ing about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).?

MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER
AND EVER! FRIENDS FOREVER!

TGIF- :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• NB_Lady
    MAXINE's wise words of wisdom

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for?less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and?less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.?

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon
    if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
    I know I am sometimes forgetful.
    But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
    So many have never laughed and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.?

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care?less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
    I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worry ing about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).?

MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER
    AND EVER! FRIENDS FOREVER!

TGIF- :drinker: :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Wonderful reminder for us all!:flowerforyou:

About 7 years ago I read a Dear Abby type column. It was a letter from a widower and his 3 grown children. Their mother had passed away at age 40 or so and they were hunting for pictures of her. They knew there had to be some, as they had albums and albums of shots of the whole family.

They were quite distraught when they noted there were maybe 1 or 2 shots, and they were with her in the way background, barely visable.

When one of the womans sisters came over, the kids asked her why no pictures of their mother could be found. The aunt explained that she hated having her picture taken. She was overweight. She had aged. She didnt like the way she looked at all.

So she avoided pictures at all costs, and tore up the ones that she was in, leaving her family with nothing to remember her but their memories.

I was one of these people. I went out and bought a digital camera the next day. I took photos of myself...yes of myself! I asked strangers on the beach to take my picture. I finally got used to seeing myself in the shots.

I have never turned back. I dont care how haggard I look, how fat, circles under my eyes or wrinkles...IT IS ME!!! God has given me another day to share with my family.

Funny thing is, I look at the 41 yr old shots and say WOW I looked good then...wish I didnt have this new wrinkle!!!!
    :flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • NB_Lady
    I was also one of those people until a few years ago Jeannie:ohwell:

The good news is, the older I get the less I care about what anyone else thinks of me and I'm liking myself the way I am:smile: :
    (still want to lose the weight to look and feel better, but not losing any sleep over it.......lifes too short not to enjoy every second:drinker: )
    Anne:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I was also one of those people until a few years ago Jeannie:ohwell:

The good news is, the older I get the less I care about what anyone else thinks of me and I'm liking myself the way I am:smile: :
    (still want to lose the weight to look and feel better, but not losing any sleep over it.......lifes too short not to enjoy every second:drinker: )
    Anne:flowerforyou:

Agreed, Anne!!
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    I am one of those weird women that <gasp> is HAPPY to be getting older, think of each day as a wonderous gift and continue to make a humongous deal of each birthday. Sure, I don't have the body I had at 18 ~ I'm a totally different person that what I was at 18 and that's OK. I consider myself an on-going project :wink: I proudly admit my age, hold my grey-haired head up high and thank God daily that He's allowed me to make it this far and look foward to seeing where He'll take me next. Maxine definately has it right :happy:
This discussion has been closed.