My struggle & losing motivation

Options
Hello!
So I started using MyFitnessPal in 2011 because at that point I had reached a weight that had me disgusted and I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't fit in any clothes that were meant for girls my age and I just hated that. I found the motivation using this site and lost about 70 pounds. In 2013 I gained most of it back because I had a major surgery done and had no choice but to sit inside and chose to eat. In that same year I decided to use this site again and and now weigh less than I did before the surgery. I need to lose more weight and still don't feel good about myself but I can not find the motivation anymore. I feel like I've been calorie counting so long that I'm just over it and wish I could live life without watching everything I eat. When I try to go without calorie counting I lose control and eat way too much. I love sweets, and I mean who doesn't but I can't control myself around them. I need that willpower back! How do I get it back...

Replies

• lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hey there and thanks for sharing. If the site motivated you before then it should be able to get you on the right track again. What could also help is developing a meal plan of healthy foods you enjoy, while staying under a reasonable calorie intake goal. Add in a workout program that you would enjoy and consistency, you should feel better about yourself while losing weight in the progress.

Stay positive and good luck!
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Losing it and keeping it off is about more than nutrition and exercise for most of us. There's other issues that cause us to gain such dangerous amounts of weight. Try to sort through that while you're progressing through it. Good luck.
  • 31flavors
    31flavors Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do you think you would want to try an eating plan that doesn't require you to count calories? There are some out there that focus on the food you eat, and not on how much of it you eat. You would have to cut out some foods, but you wouldn't have to count the calories.
  • Qnkaylee161
    Options
    The meal plans are a good idea! I'll have to consider it. I just don't have a lot of time to prepare meals because I work and go to college. Thank you!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You need to relax and make a pact with yourself so you hav faith in what you are doing. What comes across to me is that you are exhausted and find the whole experience just a bit tedious. I understand that.

Maybe:

1. write down why you are doing it and appreciate the benefits of reaching traget.
    2. Go to maintenance for a few weeks whilst you figure out your plan.
    3. Add some variety by what you eat and how you burn calories.
    4. look at your deficit and figure out if you need to reduce it on the basis it will take longer but its more bearable.
    5. Exercise more and use those calories as your sweets fallback. Choose your sweets wisely. I have loads available and can splurge when I want, but its at the expense of using exercise calories. Some days I do an some days I dont. There are threads on sweet alternatives that people find satisfy their cravings enough.
    6. Imo its more about finding a happy medium and lifetsyle change han constantly going back to willpower, which is finite.
    7. the final motivation for me is that the quicker I get on with it the quicker ill get to traget and can reapparaise. im a bite the bullet sort of person. You know how to lose weight, so just focus on dealing effectively with the issue at hand. the weather is getting nicer so maybe a break and some recharge might do you good. It doesnt have to be a race.
  • marywood1994
    Options
    Having a look at a slimming world diet might be a good idea. You only count up how many sins you have in one day, and there's plenty of free foods you can binge on as much as you like, as well as meal plans
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Having a look at a slimming world diet might be a good idea. You only count up how many sins you have in one day, and there's plenty of free foods you can binge on as much as you like, as well as meal plans

I'm not sure that a "diet" that refers to "sins" and "free foods you can binge on" is the route to a healthy relationship with food. :huh:
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I've gained and lost and gained and lost and it doesn't seem to help either way if I log or not. But in the end I need to get over being frustrated and just follow through. It's tough when you did it before and now you are back where you started. You are not alone and you can do it. I like the ideas about writing down what worked before, what you had trouble maintaining, etc and fitting in new ideas. I'm at a starting over point myself and it would help me to do the same. Good luck, you'll get there!
  • louandizzy1984
    louandizzy1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you are defiantly not alone, I could have written this post myself as I totally understand and am struggling with the same thing :(