Dieting......Can I drink booze?

Options

Replies

• KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've cut back a lot, but I'm definitely going to have a beer occasionally, or Jack Daniels and water. I've cut out the sweet mixers, but no way will I give up social drinking occasionally! :drinker:
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My drink of choice is Vodka 70 calories mixed with Tonic water no calories but watch the sodium.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If so what would be good? I have my nightcaps of wine (3 Glasses or so) OR beers(3 beers or so) at night everyday.............and I mean almost everyday! what is another alternative...a low calorie alternative.

Is the wine low on calories? I know beer is a no no......what if I go with Vodka and tonic water??? that has almost no Carbs and calories right?

Help a dieter get his drink on people.....!

I look at my new healthy eating and exercising regularly life as just that, my new lifestyle, No way that's not going to include wine (or sometimes another alcoholic beverage, but mostly wine). I drink 2-3 glasses a night and have been losing steadily. If I never get down to super model size that's okay. I've already lost a dress size and really only want to drop one more. I have no doubt I'll make it with wine glass in hand. :wink:
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A bottle of Red Wine is 510 calories. I try and make a bottle last 4 nights. I try to never open more than one bottle per week.

Having said that you would do yourself a huge favor if you quit alcohol for the beginning of your diet. I started in December by getting my butt into the health club 3x per week. In January I cut out the alcohol completely. Please understand that I have a temperature controlled 200 bottle wine cellar with $3K worth of wine in it, so I like my wine. That change was my springboard to getting in to workout 6x per week. Then I started my meal planning and calorie counting in February.

I've started drinking again just this month. I limit myself to a max of one drink. I feel I can do this because I'm still meeting my net calorie goals, because of my bike commute. A round trip burns 2,200 calories, so 150 from a glass of wine is fine.

The real beauty of stopping the alcohol is that its slowing you down, I guarantee it. Stop for a month minimum and you'll see what I mean. You need to get your workouts in to make your goal and eat reasonably, and cutting the alcohol will give you the energy you need to do so.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My drink of choice is Vodka 70 calories mixed with Tonic water no calories but watch the sodium.

Are you drinking diet tonic? Regular has 100 calories in it.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Depending on your purpose for drinking, I'd say straight shots is the way to go.

Category or Alcohol Calories-Ounce

Wine - Red or White (12) 23 cal.

Champagne (12.5%) 26 cal.

American Beer (non-micro: 4.5%) 12 cal.

Liqueurs (17-24%) 86-105 cal.

80 proof Liquor (40%) 65 cal.

86 proof Liquor (43%) 70 cal.

90 proof Liquor (45%) 74 cal.

Malibu Rum 68 cal.

Sweet Sherry 43 cal.

Medium Sherry 37 cal.

Dry Sherry 37 cal.

Drambuie 61 cal.

Southern Comfort 61 cal.

Tia Maria 52 cal.

Pernod 47 cal.

Champagne 42 cal.

90 proof Liquor (45%) 74 cal.

Port 53 cal.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    If so what would be good? I have my nightcaps of wine (3 Glasses or so) OR beers(3 beers or so) at night everyday.............and I mean almost everyday! what is another alternative...a low calorie alternative.

Is the wine low on calories? I know beer is a no no......what if I go with Vodka and tonic water??? that has almost no Carbs and calories right?

I look at my new healthy eating and exercising regularly life as just that, my new lifestyle, No way that's not going to include wine (or sometimes another alcoholic beverage, but mostly wine). I drink 2-3 glasses a night and have been losing steadily. If I never get down to super model size that's okay. I've already lost a dress size and really only want to drop one more. I have no doubt I'll make it with wine glass in hand. :wink:

Agreed.. I will end the day with a few glasses of wine and have been steadily losing. Moderation is important but so is enjoying life, to me anyway.
    :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Because I'm a red wine lover, but it can be heavy on a hot day, I like mixing it with Ocean Spray Diet cranberry juice and a couple of slices of citrus on ice for a cool sangria and it cuts the calories way down. Cheers!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    what 113 cw said.....awesome
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Cut back to once or twice a week for treats....
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    iiiiiiii LLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    oh p.s. i drink bud 55 now with a crap ton of jager shots....but only once a week....or once every 2 weeks.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    I htink my course of action based on all the opinions and facts is cutting down. Im going to start with cutting my nightcaps to everyother day and then work down from there.......it should be a nice detox along with this diet!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Bulls game tonight...gonna be so hard!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You know how hard it was for me. I would want to walk to the Milwaukee and North ave and go drinking so badly but one day I just stopped. Then I moved to another part of the city that is not so full of fun
  • NanoReefDiver
    NanoReefDiver Posts: 153
    Options
    Well for me once summer hit I started having one light version of Mike's Hard Lemon-aid during the day and Captain Morgan Parrot Bay Coconut Rum mixed with low calorie Koolaid (Hawaiian Punch!) or orange Benefiber at night. Of course my body, strangely enough, actually uses alcohol to cope with my disability so it's kind of required, lol. I restarted my diet 2 weeks ago and I've lost 2 pounds so far. Pretty decent considering I don't have too much to loose.
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    vodka is the worst for you , one simple shot can be killer on calories

LOL. ALL liquor has the same amount of calories. Be it vodka, rum, gin, etc.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Agreed.. I will end the day with a few glasses of wine and have been steadily losing. Moderation is important but so is enjoying life, to me anyway.
    :bigsmile:

This!! I'm in the process of trying to cut back the wine, but I'm not going to give it up. I personally stick to red wine, preferably organic or at least of a high enough quality that it's not loaded up with chemicals (you'd be amazed at what the cheap makers put in to bulk out the taste - steer clear of anything really cheap - there's a reason it's that cheap). I'm conducting an experiment at the moment to decide which glass of the evening is my favourite - the "chef's prerogative" glass that I have whilst cooking is winning over having one with dinner or having one after dinner, so that's my aim - one glass and then switch to sparkling water.
  • hot4music02
    Options
    My one friend drinks vanilla vodka and diet coke and its only 60 calories per glass... And I drink Captain and Diet and it is also 60 calories per glass... so you may be able to do something like that.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Try going without for 2 weeks. Eat healthily, exercise, then see how you feel about drinking. I used to like a drink most evenings, but since getting healthier, I just don't feel like it now. I sometimes have half a glass of wine, but it doesn't interest me any more. My body doesn't want it. Take a few weeks off to kick the addiction, then listen to what your body wants. If it still wants a drink in the evening, then work it into your calories.