Stress Eating

Options
lmaschreck
lmaschreck Posts: 23
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hey peeps,

Looking for ways to avoid stress eating other than exercise. Anyone have any tricks? It has been a rough couple of days. Tried walking, hitting the gym but I found myself reaching for the unhealthy snacks :(

Replies

• melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Call a friend, chew sugarless gum, drink water, do a puzzle, take a relaxing bath. Dump the unhealthy snacks don't let the mindless snacking add to your stress. You are strong you can do this
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This is a mental exercise I do, nothing to do with exercise or food. Stress hits, I get frustrated/annoyed/angry...and my mind turns to food. What the "liar" in my brain is telling me is, "Go ahead. Eat that. You'll feel better." But it's a liar.

So I pause and I ask myself, "Why would I want to punish myself with food?" Because very often, that's what I used to do. Regardless whether the stressors are external or internal, you need to ask yourself why you would punish yourself or derail your dieting efforts when you're stressed.

It takes practice. I've been through that mental exercise a thousand times. In the beginning, it didn't work for me. It's working great for me now.
  • kemarryat
    kemarryat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is a mental exercise I do, nothing to do with exercise or food. Stress hits, I get frustrated/annoyed/angry...and my mind turns to food. What the "liar" in my brain is telling me is, "Go ahead. Eat that. You'll feel better." But it's a liar.

So I pause and I ask myself, "Why would I want to punish myself with food?" Because very often, that's what I used to do. Regardless whether the stressors are external or internal, you need to ask yourself why you would punish yourself or derail your dieting efforts when you're stressed.

It takes practice. I've been through that mental exercise a thousand times. In the beginning, it didn't work for me. It's working great for me now.

Wow - I love this! Stress eating is my biggest downfall and I am absolutely going to practice asking "Why would I want to punish myself with food." Thank you for sharing!
  • karibeargirl
    karibeargirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options

So very true!! Our bodies can withstand pretty much anything... It's our thought process that holds us back!! I "was" a big stress eater.. Until I got my mind right.. The Rest will follow!! You can do it!
  • lmaschreck
    Options
    Thanks for the help....vey much needed.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Colouring or watching tv. Go to a room away from the kitchen with a bottle of water/coffee/tea and do something with your hands and something you have to focus on. That's why colouring and crafting is so good. I love playing music so u could take up an instrument. Or get some air popped popcorn and snack on that. It's like 30 cals per cup.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest challenges is my yo-yo weight. I have lost and gained back 30 lbs three times in the last decade. I understand mindful eating, but the effort it takes to stay focused becomes fatiguing. I really hate thinking about every bite I take. I resent the effort. I can usually keep it off for about a year and then the stress eating begins. Crafting isn't a bad idea. Keeps the hands busy.
  • jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Paint your nails! It takes up a good bit of time and you need extra time for them to dry so you can't use your hands to grab for snacks. Also, brushing my teeth helps me not want to snack. Good luck!
  • Ticklemynose
    Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I stress eat....A LOT. There is a point where it becomes self-punishing. I stress eat then I feel guilty which makes me want to stress eat more. Darn. I think it is being honest with which stage I am in, practicing a good balance between self-love and discipline. I just got on MFP so I am at the beginning stage of learning about nutrition and exercise, how it impacts my body. Right now, there is a lot going on so I don't blame myself for stress eating. I admit I am going to stress eat, it's a challenge for me. So I prepare healthy snacks within easy reach, like tomatoes and carrots or almonds and walnuts. They usually make it go away. I am learning that creating stringent long term goals take away from the little steps I need to get where I want to be. I put so much pressure on myself that it adds to the stress. Then the circle continues.