MEAT, FAT & SWEAT

Options
So i had a thought while I was working out the other day, when you cook Meat that has fat on it, the fat melts and drips away (at a high heat) and I know that sweat is our body expelling water to cool as down when we are hot, but does our body also melt away fat (in the form of sweat) as meat does whe cooking?

Basically I am asking this question, because is it better to excercise in the heat or does it not matter?

I am just curious... any thoughts?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Lard, which is similar to body fat, melts at around 37 degrees centigrade, white coincidentally is very similar to body temperature!

However, please be aware that losing fat through exercise is due to a series of very complex chemical processes within the body, not through melting.

Aside from losing losing water weight through sweat in the heat, you will expend more calories exercising in the cold rather than the heat as your body uses energy to keep warm.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Lard, which is similar to body fat, melts at around 37 degrees centigrade, white coincidentally is very similar to body temperature!

However, please be aware that losing fat through exercise is due to a series of very complex chemical processes within the body, not through melting.

Aside from losing losing water weight through sweat in the heat, you will expend more calories exercising in the cold rather than the heat as your body uses energy to keep warm.

Wouldn't it be awful if everyone just melted all over the place at the gym!! :laugh:

I did wonder about exercising in the heat too actually as my HRM said i burn less calories on a hot day than i do on a cold day during my work outs and now i know why! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • jasmin1310
    jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - so does that mean your not really burning as much calories when you go to do a hot yoga class? I thought your body would be burning more to call in extreme heat?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The idea of Bikram yoga is to sweat out toxins and warm muscles so you can push yourself further into positions that usual. The latter may mean you're working harder.
  • Ladywindchaser
    Ladywindchaser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh I had to laugh at this one. Because I NEVER sweat when working out and the weight just falls off. The reason I do not sweat is because I am in the pool swimming 2 hrs. per day. Best exercise there is burns a ton of calories and no sweating. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jasmin1310
    Options
    Good on you! and well done on your weight loss so far! :-)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - so does that mean your not really burning as much calories when you go to do a hot yoga class? I thought your body would be burning more to call in extreme heat?

if anything, id think if you were too overheated, youd dehydrate which makes your body do everything less efficiently
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that your fat cells shrink when you lose weight, but are still there (probably why it's so easy to gain weight back). Fat does not actually "melt" in our bodies.
  • jasmin1310
    Options
    I am pretty sure that your fat cells shrink when you lose weight, but are still there (probably why it's so easy to gain weight back). Fat does not actually "melt" in our bodies.

Oh man!
  • k_ewilliams
    k_ewilliams Posts: 43
    Options
    No
    In my human kinetics and recreation course I am doing, my final is this Saturday, it says that exercising in hot places like saunas are not advised. It dehydrates you before it can "melt fat"
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    freaky fact: when you workout, you exhale fat.