I need suggestions please :-)

Options
Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are going to a local Mexican restaurant tonight for dinner, and I was wondering what are some healthy menu items? I know that I should be careful with the chips and salsa they give you at the beginning, but other than that, I have no idea the nutritional value or Mexican food.

Suggestions please?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    a salad without the shell and cheese/sour cream?
    Fajitas are usually a good choice too
  • jpehlke22
    jpehlke22 Posts: 2
    Options
    Stick to chicken meals, not beef. Avoid creamy sauces. Refried beans are a good source of protein and fiber, low fat. Chicken fajitas are good, lots of veggies. Good luck!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I'm glad fajitas are a good choice as I love them, don't make them nearly as often as I could but love them all the same :-)
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I always do fajitas at Mexican restaurants. Although they are grilled in oil it's still chicken and veggies, which is better than anything deep fried or slathered in cheese and/or creamy sauce.
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    what i usually do is get the chips out of the bowl, maybe 6-8 or so and then only eat whats on there, if the group we're with gets queso ( i can't resist ) i spoon little amounts on to the chips instead of scoop out gobs of it. the healthy choice depends on the type of mexican restaurant u go to. at more decent "higher-class" mexican restaurants i've been to i find that they almost always offer some sort of chicken dish, usually topped with pico or some other sort of yummy salsa. theres always the chicken monterey or whatever they call it topped with mushrooms and cheese, not as healthy but still an option. watch out for the salads though, you would defietly need to not top it with all the sour cream and cheese but many people dont realize that the crispy shell that a taco salad usually comes in it is absolutely loade with calories, so dont eat it. also a margarita will kill you........so basically all the good parts of mexican food are gone....
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I disagree with not eating beef.. it may be red meat , but generally is very lean (at least over here) and always a great source of protein and low on fat for me. I second the fajitas, delicious and not that bad for you.

But all in all.. it's a night out, enjoy yourself, if you go over today don't worry about it and just have a so called balance day tomorrow. Your body doesn't judge your calories per day anyway. I'm going out for dinner saturday and i'm jsut going to enjoy myself.. as long as you don't go WAY over.. it won't kill you, have fun!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I had a great dish of grilled tilapia at a Mexican place last week. It was seasoned really nice and since it was grilled, it was low-cal! Came with a little side of rice, which isn't the best, and a little veggie salad. Overall a nice meal!

On the Boarder has a great dish I like called Chicken Salsa Fresca. It's grilled chicken covered in yummy salsa with rice and grilled veggies... absolutely delish! I hate that it's so high in sodium, but at about 500 cals, it's definitely doable for dinner out! Figure a basket of chips at about 450, so try not to eat more than 1/2 a basket (yeah, I know, I could eat three baskets myself!) and you should be ok!

Overall, have fun. It's not like you do this every day! Avoid "creamy" or "cheese" sauces... and you'll do fine!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I go for the fajita and ask them to grill it without the oil. Depending on the calories I have left for the day, I usually stay away from the tortillas that come with it too (find I just don't need them), but I do splurge with the guac and sourcream (all the guac some of the sour cream).

Oh, and margaritas - more calories than you eat in two meals - go for the Corona Light.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    If they have a portabella fajita I would go for that! It tasts just like steak and it is low calorie. Hard shells are lower in calories that corn or flour tortillas. Don't avoid chips and salsa, it is really low cal as long as you don't eat your weight in chips!! Sodium can be high in that so just drink a few extra glasses of water. I would just get rice on the side and skip the beans. I usualy go on Pepes website and look at the calories there and use that as a guide when going out for mexican. Ask if they have skinny margaritas, they are only around 100 calories per drink. If they don't, ask to have one made. It is just taquila, tripple sec, and lime juice(instead of the sweet and sour). I think they taste better, too!! Remember to have fun and enjoy your food!!
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I usually have salad (not in a tortilla bowl) with 'fajita chicken' and add on pico de gallo instead of dressing.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Do they have a website? Maybe you can look to see what is on the menu and plan your meal before you go? We have several in our area but they do not have websites, so I usually order appetizers or side dishes. Usually something with Chicken and veggies! And i try not to eat it all! :) Good luck!!
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great suggestions! I think that I will go with ordering some type of fajita dish, avoid the shells it comes with, enjoy a few chips with some salsa, and show some lovin' to the sour cream :-) I will look up the cals to some full fat sour cream and figure out when I should cut myself off from that! lol

Thanks again!
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    three margaritas and call it a night
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    haha yes please!!