C25K - Feel Like I am cheating

Options
lap1970
lap1970 Posts: 32 Member
Hi All!

I just finished week 1 - Day 2 of the C25K. The first day I ran outside and maaaann was that tough. Today I did Day 2 on the treadmill and found it so much easier. I set the treadmill to a slight incline. I feel like I am cheating...but I guess something is better than nothing. :smile:

~Lee

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    So run outside when you can. It's much more fun outside.
  • ittzings
    ittzings Posts: 7
    Options
    Maybe you were going faster when you ran outside, since you had to pace yourself and didn't have the treadmill?

Either way, you're doing a great thing. I want to start C25K soon.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You're not cheating! Yes, the mechanics of running are slightly different on the treadmill, but there are some advantages for new runners as well:

-the treadmill is a little softer than the road, so it offers a bit of protection for your joints and bones

-it will control your pace for you. Many new runners are defeated by running too quickly to sustain the pace for more than a minute or two, and you can use the treadmill to slow you down to a sustainable pace

-if you have allergies, running in an airconditioned gym will help you to avoid flare-ups of your symptoms
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I ran weeks 1-5 on the treadmill. The transition to outside wasn't easy but now I'd never go back to the treadmill.

I don't think you're 'cheating' :) xx
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I found running outside tough at first but once you get into it it's soooo much better! 45 mins pass by so much quicker in the outdoors! I live in Cambridge UK and on my run by the river the other day I watched rowing races and heard a choir practicing on a bridge. Can't get that in the gym! x
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I just started C52K yesterday. It's funny, I saw one person post something about it and I decided to look it up, liked it and am now doing it. Now I see several posts on it every day!! It must be a sign from God! Good luck!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I started outside, but as the temps are going to be hitting 100F earlier and earlier in the day here is the desert, I will have to move to the treadmill soon. I am not looking forward to it.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran outside I was shocked at the difference from the treadmill. Everyone said it was easier, but I thought it was much harder. I never ran before and I did the c25k. It was so good. I felt so proud of myself. If you add the incline that is good. No cheating there.

I have been running on the track at the park and it has gotten easier. I just need to learn to pace myself, which is why the treadmill is easier. It does that for you.

What ever keeps you going is what you need to do. I do like running outside better now, but I really need to work at it. I can't do a 5k outside yet, but I did do it on my treadmill.
  • swanee143
    swanee143 Posts: 1
    Options
    A little treadmill tip...every so often (like every minute) it's good to change your incline or speed up or down a little. Theory is same speed, same incline for your entire run reproduces the same foot strike over and over and can set you up for injury. Plus changing it up makes the time go quicker and can be a bit more challenging...just don't overdo it.

Have you signed up for your 5K yet? You're gonna love it. Usually for a good cause and a lot of fun! (Try to run the actual race route every so often if you can too.) Good luck!
  • chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just completed my W3 D3 run on the treadmill and in spite of all my huffing and puffing I do feel much better than I did when I did W3 D1. I am now wondering how I will fare with the 5 minute runs in the next stage, but I sure am looking forward to them cause I feel soooo good doing this.

Keep it up....when I started I never knew I would even make it this far. I never tried it outside so I cant compare though.
  • GoneWithTheWhinge
    GoneWithTheWhinge Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill, I don't enjoy outside running at all and find it so much tougher mentally which seems contrary to what most people find! I struggle to do 10mins outside whereas 45 can pass comfortably on the tready. I people watch and spend the time happily in my own thoughts. I run with a 1.5% incline.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you're cheating then so am I! BUT I don't feel it, a few weeks back I couldn't run for 3mins now, like I said 45mins fine. It works, regardless of wether you run inside or out the main thing is that you are doing it, you're moving yourself towards a new, fitter, healthier you.

Well done on your achievements so far!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I feel like I am cheating...but I guess something is better than nothing. :smile:

First of all, CONGRATS! :flowerforyou:

Couch to 5K was the gateway drug to jogging, and to exercise in general, for me - so I'm super excited for you!

I never liked running, but was surprised to find that I like running when I can run outside!

I would not say that you are cheating, people simply have their preferences and as you progress and continue to run, you just need to remember to challenge yourself, which is the case indoors and out. I guess I love running outside because I'm sort of nosey-type person and I like looking around, but honestly, if I had a treadmill, I'd end up watching the Food Network while working out, so.... :laugh: !!! This past winter I did wish I had a treadmill - it was waaaay to icy to run outside and I wasn't ready to invest in microspikes or yaktraxx.

One reason people recommend that you 'switch it up' or try running outside every now and then is that it helps you prepare for any road races you might have on the horizon. I really think that by the time you get through the program, you will want to do a Fun Run / Road Race :smile: . GOOD LUCK!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt say its cheating as its running too! and well done for completing week 1!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started outside, but as the temps are going to be hitting 100F earlier and earlier in the day here is the desert, I will have to move to the treadmill soon. I am not looking forward to it.

I'm in Tucson, so I'm right there with you. Right now I am running at 5:30 in the morning when it's still in the high 50s/low 60s, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do on those days where it doesn't get below 80°. I guess my choices are to sweat a lot or join a gym.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    i'm allergic to treadmills
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    running on a treadmill can be the opposite of cheating, you pace is controlled for you, that leaves you with one less thing to worry about. For beginners it's great because you can learn to breathe correctly without all the distractions of the outside world.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    definitely not cheating!! you're doing something good for yourself, be proud of that!

I did the entire C25K on the treadmill because it was winter and I hate the snow, cold, and ice. For the most part, I actually really enjoy running on the treadmill. I like that my pace is controlled, which helps me to control my breathing. But I also enjoy running outside. I don't run outside as often as I would like but it's a nice change from time to time. My body is a lot more sore when I run outside, my joints mostly.

I did my first race a few weeks ago and it was great! It's definitely challenging to go from the treadmill to outside, but like anything else, once you do it a few times it gets much easier.

Good Luck!
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i want to start the c25k and am kinda confused. i have a treadmill and walk at least a mile a day but can only go about 2.7mph right now. that is a huge diff from when i started back in feb though. so when it says RUN am i just supposed to increase the speed to whatever it takes to get me to run? i have my treadmill on an incline too, but not much. i wouldnt consider it cheating on the treadmill, i hope it isnt :)
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    To the poster who asked about speed...I walk at about a 3 on the treadmill and when it says run, I do a 4. So, to me that is a jog, but I'm also 5'4 and my legs aren't very long!

I'm keeping at that speed probably for most of the program. Then I'll work on running faster.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Run at whatever speed you are comfortable! I'm 5 feet tall and still have a lot of weight to lose, so running at 6.0 mph for any length of time is out of the question for me. When I started C25K I was doing my walks at 3.5mph and runs at 5.2mph, but when I got to the long runs I started to really struggle at 5.2, so I slowed myself down, until I got to a speed where I could finish my runs. So I'm running at 4.6 mph right now. I'm hoping to keep working on my speed and eventually be running somewhere between 5.0 - 5.4.

The most important thing is to do what's comfortable for you. Everyone is different and you have to find the pace for yourself where you feel like you are pushing yourself, but are also able to maintain your runs.