People bringing you down

Options
so my name is Jasmine and I am 21 years old. I started my weight loss journey almost two summers ago. I was at 156lbs and by the end of summer I was down to 140, I looked and felt good and people were in awe. I loved it. Just recently I decided to get back on it but have not got the same reactions anymore. In December I started at 142lbs and my goal has always been 118lbs, I've just never had the dedication to fully reach. This time I do, I am 2 months in and I am currently at 130lbs. Whenever I post something on IG people are like "you don't need to lose weight, you already look great" etc. it's nice, but it's very discouraging, I don't want to hear that, I want to hear positive reinforcements like you go girl! You can do it... But then I get other comments like "omg you're gonna look sick" or "you're gonna be skin and bones" ... It's frustrating obkox8vd451i.jpg

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't post weight/fitness stuff to IG or facebook, but that's just me. Also, if that is a current pic on the left, I don't think you need to lose anymore either.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? It's possible that 118 may not be a reasonable goal.

But from the picture on the left, I don't think you need to lose any further.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are these your current pics? I don't think you should loose any more weight.

Also honestly I do things for myself. I never do anything to get a pat on back. If it comes it's a bonus.

EDTA: typo
  • jasmineenriquez
    jasmineenriquez Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, the left is a current picture. I'm at 130 right there. My height is 5'3. Maybe I should post a front view picture, I look skinnier on the side view I think ( I know 118 is healthy for someone at 5'3?) I'm definitely doing it for myself, but what I was tryingn to say was when I first started losing weight I got compliments which were nice but now I'm getting the opposite and Id much rather not be told anything than hear negative things you know?
  • onelonelysocknoble
    onelonelysocknoble Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    People who care about you will worry, there's not much you can do about that.

Personally I'd look at measuring success by other measures they might be able to better understand, for instance what is your body fat percentage and how has that changed?
  • markyboy1979
    markyboy1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To be honest *kitten* what other people say or think remember why you're doing this. If it makes you smile when you look in the mirror it's all good. Good luck.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Looking at your photo, I would have put you at goal weight or even less. You don't look 130 lbs at all there! (I wish photos took weight off of me!) :)

That said, yeah, 118 is quite healthy for 5 foot 3 (as is your current weight). And if it's something you'd like to shoot for, then go for it. If it isn't what you thought it would be, you can always make changes.

I'm sorry people aren't being supportive. You can show them the height/weight charts if you think they're just concerned.

I do think "you're going to look sick" etc is pretty rude though. Again, if it's a panicked loved one, you can show them that it's in the healthy range (it's not even bottom of it), assure them you're eating enough, etc. If it's acquaintances and randoms, I'd call them out for being rude/inappropriate.
  • jasmineenriquez
    Options
    @markyboy1979‌ thank you, I truly appreciate it! I'm trying not to let it bother me because I do feel great every time I look in the mirror and see myself slimming down ☺️ @futuremanda‌ thank you so much ! You made my day! Ha! People tell me that, outside of MFP, me weight is a secret, mostly cuz I was always self conscious about it, but just recently I confessed to a couple people and hey could not believe it either, for some reason people think I'm around the 120 rang, which is awesome! But all my weight hides in my hips and love handles, I'm "thin" but I'm wide if that makes sense?
  • markyboy1979
    markyboy1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your welcome mate it takes a while to grow thick skin you know. I think people say negative *kitten* cuz there jealous or wish they could do it so just let the haters fuel ya drive
  • sweety510
    sweety510 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey girl I totally understand your frustration! Don't mind others just focus on yourself and do what you feel and know what works best for you and yes you can totally do it! 5'3 at 118lbs is healthy and I do, do it too lol what I call the picture illusion where I pose in a way to hide my belly fat lol! I am 4'11 and my goal is 105lbs, and when people do ask me what my goal weight is their jaws just drop as if I'm going to be anorexic lol! Before I gained all the weight from pregnancy I was always at 105-107lbs so I've always felt comfortable and healthy at that weight range, plus I did check what I should be at 4'11 and it's a pretty healthy range at my height. But it's ok and if you get tired of hearing it or if it is from love ones then you can just use the advice I got from other people which is my doctor says I am in a healthy weight range excuse hehe that'll tend to quiet them down lol so good luck to you my dear :D lose weight be healthy! By the way you look gorgeous! ;)
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 as well and instead of posting to my IG and Facebook where all of my family and friends are, I made an IG specific to my fitness and health! :)

Then, people who follow me are ones that like to see how I'm progressing, and then there is generally only positivity :)
  • jasmineenriquez
    Options
    @sweety510‌ haha omg were definitely on similar boats then!!! I'm taking my your advice and will be telling people that, I'm doing everything in a healthy way, I'm still eating , just healthier and now exercising as well