Eating Well Is Hard

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    grnice39 wrote: »
    A happy meal is in no way an adult size portion.

You do know that for most of McDonald's history, that's what they sold to everyone? Burger, small fry, soft drink. Coke came in wee little glass bottles. Also, phones had dials and were attached to the wall and good freaking GOD, I'm old.

And, as the PP said, it's 550 calories if you happen to get your happy meal with milk. That kind of IS an adult sized portion for a fair number of people in a meal on an average day. (Assuming 2 other similarly sized meals and 2-3 reasonable snacks, and if you are drinking caloric beverages along the way, it adds up fast...) My maintenance TDEE is about 1600 calories per day, so, yeah, a Happy Meal is an appropriately portioned meal for me. And, you know, I'm 5'6", so it's not like I'm teeny tiny.

550 calories is more than I have for breakfast or lunch (I prefer to save the bulk of my calories for the evening). A sandwich with some fries, apple, and milk seems like a fine meal for an adult. It's only "not adult sized" by the standards we've come to expect from fast food (which, as you point out, have changed a great deal in a few decades).

I do the same thing budgeting my calories. I keep breakfast and lunch to under 300 calories each, plus maybe another 200 in snacks...that way I can have a decent portion for dinner and if I've played my cards right, a nice bowl of gelato before bed!
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just remember that small changes add up over time. Try not to do everything all at once - if you're used to eating fast food and processed foot and lots of sweet treats, eliminating all of that right away might be a little too drastic. You don't want to set yourself up for failure. Celebrate the small successes - like the first time you CRAVE a salad.

A big part of it for me is that I can't completely eliminate all my favorite foods, I just have to have small portions and incorporate them into my calorie count. If you constantly feel deprived, you won't be able to maintain it long term.

Be kind to yourself, this is not an easy process! You have to listen to your body and if you are truly hungry (vs. just wanting to eat), you should eat! Just try to make it healthy.

Other tips:

Make sure what you're eating is high in fiber - carbs should be whole grain, eat lots of protein...these help keep you full for longer. And water. Water water water! I drink a gallon a day.

Also when you're done eating, chew a piece of sugar free gum or brush your teeth. It's a good way to signal to your body that you're done eating.

And another thing is to distract yourself. Take a quick walk, pick up some knitting or a book, play a game, etc. If you're just sitting around thinking you're hungry, it will just get worse.

Good luck, hope this helps!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead and pre-logging is essential for me to stick to my calorie goal. I can't just eat "reasonably" during the day and expect to have any calories left for dinner.

I usually know well ahead of time what I'm making for dinner each night. I log my dinner first. Then I can see how many calories are available for breakfast and lunch. If it's not enough, then I scale back how much dinner I will eat. I bring my pre-packed and logged lunch and snacks to work every day. If I know that there will be donuts at work on Fridays and I know I'll want one, I pre-log a donut as well as dinner, then adjust all the other food to fit in what's left.

When, at the end of the day, I've eaten all my planned food and there are no calories left, then the kitchen is "closed." Too bad, so sad, there's nothing to eat. I just have to live with it if I want to lose weight.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Since you mentioned not being able to stop, how fast are you eating? Slow down between bites, take smaller bites, chew each bite longer - any combination of these three things will make you feel fuller on less food, no matter what that food is.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been looking at your diary...and hell i would be hungry too if i eat what you eat lol
    No offence intended

But i would start up cooking and eating fresh veggies and fruits,
    yogurts and meats etc.

The food you eat is very calorie dense, so high in calories and you can indeed not have much of it and you hit your calorie allowance.

More ( fresh) fruit and vegetables will give you more to eat.

lol my husband loves his salami and a couple of slices is close to 223 calories
    I can almost eat a whole meal for that for example. Well i can even.
    But a nice salad a big bowl is for me under 100 calories.

So wiser choices will help you to eat healthier, in your case more food, and you lose weight :)
    I am almost never hungry and when i am i eat some more ( my body needs it at that point and eating a bit more one day wont spoil your weight loss journey)

Weigh all your solid food and measure all your liquids
    Log everything! every day!
    Be honest to yourself
    Consistency and determination are your biggest friends
    Drink 2 to 2.5 liter of water a day.
    And pre-plan!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ditto others who have suggested switching to flatbread from bagels/regular breads. Orowheat thins are 100 calories.

I've made Einstein bagels my rare, rare, rare treat. Like, once a month.

Ditto others on making your beverage choices water, tea, and coffee. I know it'll be a shock to the system but you'll get used to it.

Good luck to you!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    if you feel like you're struggling, I would suggest instead of trying to make all the big changes at once, (which typically leads to failure) make one small change, and keep adding on, when you feel you are successful. So perhaps if you notice you're always 500 calories over every day, maybe choose to cut back 100 calories. When you are successful with this change, you can continue to make small changes you can keep over time... hope that helps!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It certainly is. I'm old enough that I remember back when McDonalds only had the standard hamburgers and cheeseburgers and the double hamburger/cheeseburgers and a few different sizes of fries.

My father was the only one who ever got the double. This was back in the '60's.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mind over matter: if you don't mind, it don't matter.

If you want it to be hard, it will be hard.

You can make it easy.

It's all in your head and how you think about things.

Learn to embrace The Suck. To love it, even.

Recognize that each incremental unit of suckage you endure both (a) brings you that much closer to your goal and (b) makes the next episode of suck that much easier to endure.

It's all about attitude.

Easy Peasy Lemon Breezy
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    It's hard if you make it hard. Fast food and fruit are real fast ways to spend your daily "allotment".

You can have fast food, but choose grilled chicken instead of fried chicken. One thing my husband and I do often is order a cheeseburger, cut it in half, and lose half the bun. basically it's 1/2 a double cheeseburger and you save on bun calories. If you can lose the bun altogether, even better - and don't have fries.

I've found that the less I have fast food, the less I want it. I spend more time at places like Subway, Jimmy-john's, even Olive Garden (2 bowls Pasta Fagiole is loaded with protein and fiber!) or Longhorn Steakhouse with a side salad, a 6 oz. sirloin, and 1-2 pieces of the bread (maybe).

Add more veggies instead of fruit. If I go to someplace like Golden Corral, my first plate is 1/2 green beans and 1/4 corn. My second plate is protein: Rotissiere (sp?) chicken or steak or fish.

I am a true food addict, and understand that it is hard....but I've also found that the more healthy (or better quality) the food is, the more of it you get. One of my nutritionists once told me to focus on the protein and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty much on target.

And there's things you just know: baked is always better than fried. A friend of mine's "diabetic tip of the day" was that just by deep frying fish, it negates all the healthy benefits of having fish in the first place. Deep frying something in and of itself can add as much as 400 calories depending on what type of food it is (like fried chicken).

Although I will say I had one Weight Watchers leader who said that once you hit your calorie allotment for the day, it's time to go to bed! LOL

For what it's worth....

Just wanted to add that subway and Olive Garden ARE fast food.... just saying. dont know the jimmy john place....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, do you know how to cook?

I agree that small steps are key to sustainable changes. Right now, you're relying on a lot of calorically dense food that probably isn't very satiating.

You could have a much more filling, satisfying breakfast with whole meal toast, eggs scrambled with lots of veggies, and turkey bacon for far fewer calories than what you ate at Chik-fil-A.

Instead of salami, try some smoked turkey with lettuce and tomato and a carefully measured amount of mayo on a wrap. You could even have a side of chips with that. The key is to weigh and measure your portions and stick with them.

As lots of people have said, veggies, lean proteins, and small doses of healthy fats are very satisfying. Planning is key. I always prelog my day so I know exactly what I'm going to eat. It really helps to know what my next meal is and when it's coming.

• berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you have your goal set to two pounds a week, you could maybe temporarily change it to 1.5lbs a week to ease yourself into the deficit a little slower. Once you feel OK at the goal for 1.5 lbs a week, you could put it back up to 2 and try the higher deficit again.

You can also pay attention to when you are actually hungry. Are you eating lunch even if you aren't hungry then? Breakfast? Do you do most of your eating in the evening? Adjust when you eat to when you actually feel the need to eat. Being mindful of those cues is half of the battle.

And I don't care what anyone says, breaking bad habits IS hard. It takes time. You can do it though.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    This is a big helper, The foods you crave and can't live without, Figure out how to make at home and a healthier version (sneak in veggie ingredients too when you can) Ex. Mcdonalds canadian bacon egg mcmuffin You can totally make that at home with much healthier ingredients (Whole wheat english muffin, Ham, Egg, 2% cheese) Ex. 2 MCD's French Fries, cut potato into strips, dry them well with paper towel, spray with a little EVOO and season, bake in oven, much healthier than fried. I find you can figure out a way to make almost anything a little healthier and usually cheaper and more bang for your calorie as well. Good Luck!

Yeah, cutting potatoes into strips and spraying them with minimal olive oil, then baking them, in no way makes them look or taste like McDonald's french fries. And I've made egg mcmuffins at home. They are delicious but not a HUGE calories savings. The main benefit for me is getting a slightly runny yolk rather than a super hard and dried out one, oh and cheddar cheese instead of grody american, lol.

42829955.png

Since she's eating her fast food breakfast sandwiches on bagels and biscuits, even a plain old white English muffin on a homemade breakfast sandwich would help reduce her calories significantly. Personally, I make a whole pan of egg scramble sort of thing, using mostly egg whites with a few whole eggs added in, some bacon bits (I buy the real bacon ones at Costco) and shredded cheese. Pour the raw mixture into a baking dish, bake until set, cut and compose with english muffins or in a wrap like a breakfast burrito. You still get the cheese and bacon flavor, but much smaller portions than if you used the whole bacon strips and slices of cheese.

For the fries, I suggest getting a SMALL. Heck, I think the Happy Meal is the best solution to road trip drivethrough needs...The portions are too big for a child, but actually the Happy Meal is a reasonable portion for an adult. (Those were the original portion sizes, kids, not the absurd Super Sized crap they sell now)

And again, add some veggies! They have so few calories for the bulk!

Cheeseburger happy meal w/ kids fries, apple slices and chocolate milk

Calories 550
    Calories from Fat 150
    Total Fat 17g
    Saturated Fat 6g
    Trans Fat 0.5g
    Cholesterol 50mg
    Sodium 880mg
    Total Carbs 75g
    Dietary Fiber 4g
    Sugars 32g
    Protein 25g
    Vitamin A 770IU
    Vitamin C 104mg
    Calcium 530mg
    Iron 4.5mg

So, this is too much food for my 11yo daughter (5'1", 81lbs) who needs between 2200 and 2600 calories per day? Explain how a Happy Meal that comprises at most 25% of her daily caloric intake NEEDS is too much food for a child, again?

I don't claim it is an ideal meal by any stretch, but after a very long hockey tournament weekend (which her team won, woot!) when all we wanted was something the kids could eat in the car with minimal mess so we could get home before 9pm so they could shower and go to bed, it worked.

Making blanket statements, however, does NOT WORK.

Easy, killer.

I was speaking more of the children who Happy Meals are marketed to -- generally under 8 and as young as 2.

And, as in adults, kids who are competitive athletes can almost always afford to really pack it away. That's not really relevant to the OPs situation, from what I can see in her limited diary entries, she frequently has oversized portions of fast food meals and is not a competitive athlete. She's having a hard time figuring out what kinds of changes to make, rethinking portion sizes is a logical first step.

I wasn't mad, just making the point that blanket statements are not always necessarily accurate. And her caloric intake has more to do with being a normal kid (the 2200 end) than an athlete (the 2600 end).

Peace. ;)

Just you wait...she's 11 now, but you are about to see an appetite like none other if she keeps playing! (I grew up in a house full of hockey players, I know their monsterous appetites AND the stench of their gear bags....)

She has as 12yo lacrosse playing brother who is 5'7" and eats like every meal's his last.

• blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is that I plan food in advance and prepare it. On Sundays I cook all my meals for Monday-Friday. It's then logged and containered and portioned out right. Then I eat that. It helps me because I stay in the calorie range and I can see that I have enough food and enough protein.

I hope you find ways that help you.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    This is a big helper, The foods you crave and can't live without, Figure out how to make at home and a healthier version (sneak in veggie ingredients too when you can) Ex. Mcdonalds canadian bacon egg mcmuffin You can totally make that at home with much healthier ingredients (Whole wheat english muffin, Ham, Egg, 2% cheese) Ex. 2 MCD's French Fries, cut potato into strips, dry them well with paper towel, spray with a little EVOO and season, bake in oven, much healthier than fried. I find you can figure out a way to make almost anything a little healthier and usually cheaper and more bang for your calorie as well. Good Luck!

Yeah, cutting potatoes into strips and spraying them with minimal olive oil, then baking them, in no way makes them look or taste like McDonald's french fries. And I've made egg mcmuffins at home. They are delicious but not a HUGE calories savings. The main benefit for me is getting a slightly runny yolk rather than a super hard and dried out one, oh and cheddar cheese instead of grody american, lol.

42829955.png

Since she's eating her fast food breakfast sandwiches on bagels and biscuits, even a plain old white English muffin on a homemade breakfast sandwich would help reduce her calories significantly. Personally, I make a whole pan of egg scramble sort of thing, using mostly egg whites with a few whole eggs added in, some bacon bits (I buy the real bacon ones at Costco) and shredded cheese. Pour the raw mixture into a baking dish, bake until set, cut and compose with english muffins or in a wrap like a breakfast burrito. You still get the cheese and bacon flavor, but much smaller portions than if you used the whole bacon strips and slices of cheese.

For the fries, I suggest getting a SMALL. Heck, I think the Happy Meal is the best solution to road trip drivethrough needs...The portions are too big for a child, but actually the Happy Meal is a reasonable portion for an adult. (Those were the original portion sizes, kids, not the absurd Super Sized crap they sell now)

Calories 550
    Calories from Fat 150
    Total Fat 17g
    Saturated Fat 6g
    Trans Fat 0.5g
    Cholesterol 50mg
    Sodium 880mg
    Total Carbs 75g
    Dietary Fiber 4g
    Sugars 32g
    Protein 25g
    Vitamin A 770IU
    Vitamin C 104mg
    Calcium 530mg
    Iron 4.5mg

So, this is too much food for my 11yo daughter (5'1", 81lbs) who needs between 2200 and 2600 calories per day? Explain how a Happy Meal that comprises at most 25% of her daily caloric intake NEEDS is too much food for a child, again?

I don't claim it is an ideal meal by any stretch, but after a very long hockey tournament weekend (which her team won, woot!) when all we wanted was something the kids could eat in the car with minimal mess so we could get home before 9pm so they could shower and go to bed, it worked.

Easy, killer.

I was speaking more of the children who Happy Meals are marketed to -- generally under 8 and as young as 2.

And, as in adults, kids who are competitive athletes can almost always afford to really pack it away. That's not really relevant to the OPs situation, from what I can see in her limited diary entries, she frequently has oversized portions of fast food meals and is not a competitive athlete. She's having a hard time figuring out what kinds of changes to make, rethinking portion sizes is a logical first step.

I wasn't mad, just making the point that blanket statements are not always necessarily accurate. And her caloric intake has more to do with being a normal kid (the 2200 end) than an athlete (the 2600 end).

Peace. ;)

Just you wait...she's 11 now, but you are about to see an appetite like none other if she keeps playing! (I grew up in a house full of hockey players, I know their monsterous appetites AND the stench of their gear bags....)

She has as 12yo lacrosse playing brother who is 5'7" and eats like every meal's his last.

So....stinky pads and bottomless pits for all?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

It is for this particular adult.

OP - I used to drink allll my calories. Now it's half a soda a day, a cup of coffee and water. Eating calories is so much more satisfying than drinking them!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

42829955.png

Calories 550
    Calories from Fat 150
    Total Fat 17g
    Saturated Fat 6g
    Trans Fat 0.5g
    Cholesterol 50mg
    Sodium 880mg
    Total Carbs 75g
    Dietary Fiber 4g
    Sugars 32g
    Protein 25g
    Vitamin A 770IU
    Vitamin C 104mg
    Calcium 530mg
    Iron 4.5mg

Easy, killer.

Peace. ;)

So....stinky pads and bottomless pits for all?

Pretty much. My 9yo daughter plays hockey too. My van smells so bad.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Dessert: fruit, Movies: I bring my own air popped popcorn and raisins, Restaurant: grilled chicken or fish with veggies Lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and legumes. Processed sugar does not keep you full.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions here! I'm definitely implementing some changes today!! You are all amazing supportive people, thank you.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I will join in the moaning, lol. Some days are harder than others. You just have to hang in there.