Advice on full-body compound weight workout

Options
I'm trying to put together a full-body (2x/wk) weight lifting routine using compound excercises and looking for advice. I'm fairly in shape but need to build strength. So far I have some burpees, jumping jacks and side kicks for warmup. Weight excercises are squats, bench press, lunges, dumbell triceps..... have experiemented with 'clean & jerks' with bar only. (Looking for full-body weight things like clean & jerk) Suggestions?? Thanks!!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Follow a beginner strength programme like Strong Lifts or Starting Strength. Both consist of 2 different workouts which you alternate between.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You should incorporate deadlifts and overhead press.
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Deadlift, squat, bench, overhead press and rows. There's your must five compound movements.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My advice?

Don't try putting it together yourself. With all due respect, if you're asking, you don't know enough.

As has been mentioned, StrongLifts, Starting Strength, ICF - any of those can be done 2x per week, even though they're written as 3x per week.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    My advice?

Don't try putting it together yourself. With all due respect, if you're asking, you don't know enough.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but his basic premise is correct. What would be your lifting goal? Why 2 days?
    Deadlift, squat, bench, overhead press and rows. There's your must five compound movements.

Why are they a must? I can't get a strong body just by squatting; I have to DL too?
  • gaiaearth
    gaiaearth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Currently - my full body routine is long. lat pulls, rows, assisted dips / pull ups, clean & press with bar, bench press, squats, lunges tricep with dumbells & some cardio. I am trying to reduce the time at the gym and make it more efficient. Ideally looking for 5 or so 'compound or combination' weight excercises - advice.

Doing 2x per week (which is why I'm doing full body) because I do yoga 1-2x/week and am starting boxing class 1x/wk. Weekends are for either biking or skiing.
  • gaiaearth
    Options
    Guess I've got them covered except deadlift...but maybe the clean / press or clean & jerk covers that.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    gaiaearth wrote: »
    Currently - my full body routine is long. lat pulls, rows, assisted dips / pull ups, clean & press with bar, bench press, squats, lunges tricep with dumbells & some cardio. I am trying to reduce the time at the gym and make it more efficient. Ideally looking for 5 or so 'compound or combination' weight excercises - advice.

Doing 2x per week (which is why I'm doing full body) because I do yoga 1-2x/week and am starting boxing class 1x/wk. Weekends are for either biking or skiing.

You definitely have a lot going on there. Why do you strength train, what are you trying to improve for? Are you trying to get stronger in certain lifts? Stronger so you can Bike or Ski better / easier?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Do squat/bench one day and dl/ohp another day. Add in pull-ups/rows/ab work for some balance. Pretty minimalistic but effective for just 2x a week.
  • gaiaearth
    Options
    Increase endurance, strength, get more fit...maybe try some canyoneering & climbing this summer. Love the clean - press exercise...seems to hit several muscle groups & was simply looking for advice on combination exercises. I've looked online & it all seems targeted to gymrat weight lifter, etc. That was why I posted here.
  • gaiaearth
    Options
    Appreciate the input.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    gaiaearth wrote: »
    Increase endurance, strength, get more fit...maybe try some canyoneering & climbing this summer. Love the clean - press exercise...seems to hit several muscle groups & was simply looking for advice on combination exercises. I've looked online & it all seems targeted to gymrat weight lifter, etc.

Clean & press isn't a beginner's exercise. It's a complex movement that newbies frequently screw up, and the speed element increases the risk. I'd wait on it until a good personal trainer assesses your form. In the mean time, add in deadlifts. You'll like how they work pretty much everything.

If you want to shorten your workout, get rid of the dips, dumbbell triceps, and lat pulls, since they're mostly redundant.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Do squat/bench one day and dl/ohp another day. Add in pull-ups/rows/ab work for some balance. Pretty minimalistic but effective for just 2x a week.

don't over think it- if you MUST do 2x a day- do this.
  • gaiaearth
    Options
    Been lifting free weight for quite awhile... I'll try & find compound excercises somewhere else. "personal trainer, really" :(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    instead of designing your own program, why don you follow a structured program that is designed by a pro?

I would suggest stronglifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman...
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, I have been lifting off and on for years and just recently started a 5x5 stronglifts program that I love. I have been using it for almost two months now and I am seeing great results. There is a ton of information out there on it, and I have a super simple app that I use to track my workouts. So i workout 6 days a week with a half marathon running program and a 5x5 program and I have never been stronger or in better shape. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    instead of designing your own program, why don you follow a structured program that is designed by a pro?

I would suggest stronglifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman...

Agree with this. Just focus on the big main lifts, you can be in and out of the gym in 45 mins 2 days/week and see great strength gains.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Follow a beginner strength programme like Strong Lifts or Starting Strength. Both consist of 2 different workouts which you alternate between.

This
  • domenic17
    domenic17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My 20 cents worth. Ditch the db triceps. Pullups/chinups are king and dips. I have been doing the 5 x 5 with chins and dips. have got stronger.
    day 1 squats, bench and bent-over rows.
    day 2 squats, oh press, and only 1 x 5 deadlift.
    I warm up each lift starting with the bar only and increasing the weight by 25% and do my chins/dips as superset with warmup.
    eg squat 20kg-10 chins, squat 40kg-10 chins, squat 60kg-10 chins, squat 80kg-10 chins then my 5 x 5 squat 100kg.
    I always do chins with squats and dips when doing a pull lift i.e. rows.
    whats great about chins is my arms have got bigger without doing any curls.
    try them they,re great. I couldnt do 5 chins when I first started doing them now I can do weighted chins/pullups
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I found this series helpful: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/ It's a lot of material but I think its helpful to go through all of it.

Or you can follow stronglifts or NROLFW or starting strength etc etc. I personally find that because I work out in a crowded public community center gym I sometimes have to wait over 60 minutes for the squat rack so I need to have a bit more flexibility than SL will give me and going through this process made me conscious of alternatives.