I have to rant!!!

Options
I'm having a pissy morning!! I have waited to weight myself since sunday, so somehow I thought I would be losing weight!! I have been exercising for 5 days a week for the last 2 weeks. I haven't exercised like that in YEARS!! Stepped on the scale...and I am 3lbs heavier!!!! WTH??? I know the whole thing about gaining muscle, but come on!!! I have been under my 1200 calories as well, I do eat back my exercise calorie, I will leave my diary open...some help please!!

Replies

• sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathy (see my similar thread on this page!!). I don't really have any advice, but if you read the comments on my thread it looks like we're not alone. I guess we just keep at it. Are you close to healthy weight?
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathy (see my similar thread on this page!!). I don't really have any advice, but if you read the comments on my thread it looks like we're not alone. I guess we just keep at it. Are you close to healthy weight?
    No I am not even close lol...I have about 35lbs go, maybe 45lbs depending on the way I feel about my body!
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just because you start exercising doesn't always mean your body will respond to that immediately. In some instances the body needs to sort of "recalibrate"' itself. Increased activity and new eating habits (taking in more or less calories) require the body to make adjustments." Its recommended that you give yourself several weeks or months for your body to respond to what you're doing.
  • carocurl135
    carocurl135 Posts: 28
    Options
    I feel you! I am the same. I have been busting my *kitten*, had slow weight loss for ages and now I am up 4 lbs. I changed my workout routine this week, added more cardio to switch it up instead of some of my classes. Hopefully it is just a bad water retaining few days and it will drop by weigh in on Sunday. I did have a sushi binge on the weekend, with lots of soy souce.
    The only thing I can say is just keep pushing through and it will go back down.
    It totally sucks, tho.
  • peariel
    peariel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It looks like you had a lot of sodium yesterday, so you might just be retaining water! Don't give up, and don't listen to the scale too much... I know it's hard but keep up the good work. :)
  • Vhightshue
    Vhightshue Posts: 1
    Options
    I can sympathize with you, but remember, it takes 3000 calories to add a pound. You did not eat 9000 calories over last week, so it is not a real weight gain. Can I suggest extra fiber, like benefiber in your coffee or drink each morning? That or water is probably your problem.
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am in exactly the same position. Im watching and logging everything i eat, exercising well and still no movement on the scales. This will be the 3rd week now.....Its so deflating :(

Someone suggested upping my calorie intake but im scared to do this as i dont want to gain weight. Im going to have lots of fruit and veggies next week to see if i can get a loss at next weight in. Also going to intriduce green tea to see if that helps.

Good luck everyone.....feel free to add me for some support too x
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I have also had these moments and I have no idea what is up with that; I keep reading about gaining muscle and changing your routine often (diet and exercise) so your body doesn't get too adjusted but I have no real answer here. All I know is I keep going and the scale does go down if you do.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. If you're under your 1200, then you're also not eating exercise back. Just a thought.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think it might be water.

I weigh myself everyday. I don't care what the scale says on any day except friday, but I like to see how sodium affects me. You may want to just track your progress mentally a little more often so you don't get discouraged when you have a bad weigh in week due to sodium.

You are eating good. Someday you were under the 1200 net, so you aren't eating all your exercise calories correctly, but I don't think that is why. I just wanted to point that out so when you get closer to your goal you are aware. I also wanted to point that out so you don't make a habit of doing that. I would also double check your settings and make sure you don't have your goal too high and that could actually be slowing you down too. If you have your calories set to lose 2lb a week and you are not eating all your calories, and doing extra exercises to get the boost, you may have your body in shock, trying to lose to much. You said you have about 35lbs to go. You should not be set to lose more than 1lb a week.

Best wishes.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It sucks, but you can't force your body to bend your will. What you can do is manage what you CAN CONTROL, your diet and exercise. Don't stress over the scale. Celebrate your exercise and watch for improvements in athletic ability. Choose an activity you may not have been able to comfortably do before and work towards it (pedal boats, cliff climb, 5K, monkey bars, repelling, anything). Be proud of your dedication to your diet and make new small changes each week such as replacing a regular less than stellar choice with a veggie, adding a cup of water daily, monitoring a new nutrient, checking out a new organic restaurant, or simply trying a new food.

I promise, if you manage what is within your control, your body will eventually follow. It's so easy to get discouraged by the scale. Don't let it be your only measure of success. You can do this!
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    One point I didn't see was if you are exercising that much you may be gaining muscle. If so muscle weighs more then fat. That might be why you are gaining . Don't worry this will work itself out. Muscle burns more calories then fat so eventually you will loose weight. Might just take awhile for your body to adjust. You might want to start taking a look at inches lost this might help because if it is muscle your gaining you will loose inches.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    You cant really gain muscle on a deficit diet but you can tone them and if youre not used to working out then your muscles retain some fluids to help repair and refuel the next workout, that combined with a high sodium day will immediately explain your gain....keep going, you will get there.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I feel for you.It looks like you have a lot of soduim .That retains water.The sugar is up a little too.
    Maybe try to watch those 2 and see what happens.Good luck
    jane
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The first response of the body to exercise (more so if you are doing resistance training) is to store glycogen to help fuel the activity. When you store glycogen you store it in 3 times as much water. So, 1 ounce of glycogen + 3 ounces of water = 1/4 pound of weight increase. This is why I never weigh my clients within the first 4-6 weeks of starting a program with me. My best advice is to ignore the scale for a few weeks and just focus on getting the most out of your workouts.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You cant really gain muscle on a deficit diet but you can tone them and if youre not used to working out then your muscles retain some fluids to help repair and refuel the next workout, that combined with a high sodium day will immediately explain your gain....keep going, you will get there.

Exactly! Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Our bodies (at least mine) can't understand basic math. Dieting never quite works like it's supposed to. You just have to keep at it. It will eventually come off. You've likely not gained that much muscle in a week, but other factors could be at play...water retention being the first that comes to mind. Make sure you're drinking extra water b/c you exercise, more than the 8 glasses a day minimum. And try not to let it discourage you.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The first response of the body to exercise (more so if you are doing resistance training) is to store glycogen to help fuel the activity. When you store glycogen you store it in 3 times as much water. So, 1 ounce of glycogen + 3 ounces of water = 1/4 pound of weight increase. This is why I never weigh my clients within the first 4-6 weeks of starting a program with me. My best advice is to ignore the scale for a few weeks and just focus on getting the most out of your workouts.

THIS.

Regardless of caloric deficit, this is quite common when starting a strength training program and I'm currently experiencing it myself. One way to truly gauge progress when you're working toward strength / recomposition goals is to check measurements and the fit of your clothing.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    another usefull link that might give some extra information:

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2009/01/gaining-weight-started-working/
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with you, but remember, it takes 3000 calories to add a pound.

3500 calories