40 lbs down in 68 days - 150 to go

Options
So I cleared the next checkpoint this morning, and am now down 40 lbs in the the first 68 days of the journey. That said, it comes on the back of a weird week when I inexplicably jumped 2.5 lbs one morning after achieving 39.8 lbs lost, and then took the rest of the week to hit a new low - these plateaus are normal, and I've experienced them before - but they are no less frustrating.

I'm tracking around 3500 calories burned per day, and have kept my intake just under the 2250 calorie target most days - it's trying when you go to bed hungry many nights, and you're not rewarded by the scale in the morning. Scale or not, I've kept to it.

I know you have to be careful not to let only the scale dictate your victories - but let's be honest - for those like me, we rely on feedback, and there is little more satisfying these days than hittting a new low.

Regardless, I'm still very motivated, and feel committed to seeing this through. On to the next 10!

SSG

Replies

• dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow, fantastic loss!!! You will meet your goal in no time!!!
  • chelted2014
    Options
    How are you burning so many calories per day?
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    That gives you a -1250 net calories a day...that can't be healthy.
  • lots2live4
    lots2live4 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far! I know how you feel about the scale thing, it frustrates me sometimes too. I know that most of them time it's because of something I've eaten, usually high in sodium. When I cut back on my sodium to 1500 mg it usually helps from retaining water weight. Was just curious why you go to bed feeling hungry. Maybe you're not eating enough?
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    How are you burning so many calories per day?

I'm wearing a FitBit which tracks my activity level during the day - based on my current weight my baseline calorie burn (for being sedentary) is about 3000 calories per day. I'm more likely "lightly active", as I average about 50,000-60,000 steps per week, so the extra 500 calories is coming from walking, and a bit of running once or twice a week.
  • slapshotgolf
    Options
    That gives you a -1250 net calories a day...that can't be healthy.

It's fine. You need to burn about 3500 calories to lose a pound, so if you target 2lbs per week, thats 7000 net calories lost per week, or 1000 per day. I'm lightly active, and the extra bit isn't creating any negative issues.
  • slapshotgolf
    Options
    dinobomp wrote: »
    Wow, fantastic loss!!! You will meet your goal in no time!!!

Thanks - no rush this time. :wink:
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The initial losses are great, aren't they? Be aware, the closer you get to your final goal, the slower the weight will come off. Don't get discouraged when this happens.
  • slapshotgolf
    Options
    lots2live4 wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight loss so far! I know how you feel about the scale thing, it frustrates me sometimes too. I know that most of them time it's because of something I've eaten, usually high in sodium. When I cut back on my sodium to 1500 mg it usually helps from retaining water weight. Was just curious why you go to bed feeling hungry. Maybe you're not eating enough?

With young kids, we eat earlier in the evening, around 5 pm. The nature of my employment keeps my online late most evenings (midnight) - I won't eat anything after dinner, as that has historically been my achilles heel that gets me going off track - So, that's 7 hours without eating, and that gets tough. Overall calories eaten are usually within 10% of my initial daily target, so I am getting enough. I don't eat my exercise calories.
  • slapshotgolf
    Options
    dfranch wrote: »
    The initial losses are great, aren't they? Be aware, the closer you get to your final goal, the slower the weight will come off. Don't get discouraged when this happens.

Well aware, thanks for the advice though. I've lost 134 lbs previously here on MFP in 2011. I don't struggle losing weight - have struggled my whole life keeping it off - will seek help when I get there this time. Thanks!
  • dzjellybeans
    dzjellybeans Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Amazing Success! Congrats!
  • lots2live4
    lots2live4 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    lots2live4 wrote: »

With young kids, we eat earlier in the evening, around 5 pm. The nature of my employment keeps my online late most evenings (midnight) - I won't eat anything after dinner, as that has historically been my achilles heel that gets me going off track - So, that's 7 hours without eating, and that gets tough. Overall calories eaten are usually within 10% of my initial daily target, so I am getting enough. I don't eat my exercise calories.

Oh ok, that makes sense then. Good luck on your journey!