Why is hot lemon and green tea helping?

Options
After listening to a tip from a friend, I decided to drink some squeezed lemon juice in boiling water a couple of times a day. Also I have been drinking one green tea a day. This in addition to watching my calorie intake and exercising. I have been staying the same weight for a while but either I was due to lose again, or the lemon/green tea has boosted things as I've lost 3.25lbs since Monday. Anyone also find benefit in hot lemon drinks and green tea? Do you know why?

Replies

• Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    bump - interested to know too! :)
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    I don't know why but it sounds like something I might try!
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Possibly a diuretic effect, but probably just down to you drinking more water. I find I do not lose if I am not drinking at least 8 glasses a day.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I was drinking loads of green tea at one point, but didn't notice any difference, good to hear it might be helping you tho :smile:
  • caws1111
    caws1111 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I have read that lemon detoxifies, so maybe you are getting rid of toxins. Of course it may also only be water weight if itis cleansing you out. However, Green tea has been shown to up the metobolism so a cup a day is always beneficial.
  • xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've not tried the lemon but green tea helps me a lot, not really sure why though...
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    That's interesting. Will try too....Will see after a week...
  • c4t2001
    c4t2001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    OOoh - if anyone else tries it too, let me know if it works for you too.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    This may be because the lemons are helping your body get rid of toxins and extra water weight. Whenever I take it too far with the sodium- I drink water with lemon all day and it takes care of business---though I am peeing alllllll day:))
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've heard (can't remember where) that green tea helps the digestion process - I always have a cup after a big meal, really soothes the tummy and you lose that bloated feeling!
    I love hot lemon water too, need to make it an everyday thing.....
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I've heard (can't remember where) that green tea helps the digestion process - I always have a cup after a big meal, really soothes the tummy and you lose that bloated feeling!
    I love hot lemon water too, need to make it an everyday thing.....

hence the name"Lemonychick"? I have that icky feeling today. i will give a try and find out what happens.
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Have you ever marinated red meat with lemon juice? It acts like a tenderizer. And lemon juice will cook a fish with no heat. Also if you leave chicken in lemon juice for too long it will start to cook it. There is sooo much acid in lemon that it can break down fat. Think about what hot lemon water is doing. Your body is not only having to speed up the metabolism to cool your body when you drink hot foods but then you add lemon which is acidic so it goes to breaking foods down faster in the belly.
  • Felicia71
    Felicia71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've done hot water and lemon in the past and it seemed to help. So this time around I started it again. I started MFP about 2 weeks ago and have lost 7.6pds.
  • vixi76
    vixi76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I find that when I drink green tea, that it may be helping me lose weight... can't really be sure. I don't like green tea, but they make a lot of flavored green teas, and I add a little bit of honey and apple cider vinegar, and I it tastes better to me. I heard that adding the honey and vinegar has health benifits, but I can't remember what they are. Also, Green tea from a bottle isn't supposed to have any health benefit at all. As for the lemon water, I'm curious to know if this is lemon juice from a lemon, or bottle, or if it matters.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Green tea is high in caffeine, which speeds up your metabolism.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Green tea contains a number of antioxidants that have been shown in some studies to help boost the metabolism. Not sure about the lemon juice, but a cup of green tea a day has shown to have quite a few beneficial effects.

Edit: Here's a link to some research into the benefits of green tea.

http://www.get-six-pack-abs.com/green-tea-weight-loss.html
  • godsgirl82
    godsgirl82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the lemon but green tea is a natural fat burner. :wink:
  • c4t2001
    c4t2001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I squeeze my lemon juice straight from the lemon and the green tea is in a tea bag. Not really replacing other drinks - tends to be in addition so I guess I am upping my fluid intake.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    tea is very good for you. I started drinking a cup a day a few months ago and I lost 3 lbs fast. It hydrates and detoxifies. I stopped losing the weight so quickly (telling me it was water weight). But, I have stayed steady and I always feel better after I drink it.