Does eating fat cause you to BE fat?

Options
I very much love beef, pork chops and meats that generally tend to be fatty. More flavor. I've read as long as they are not man man fats, but naturally occurring one like these ones, having a balanced amount is actually good for satiation. Is what I'm reading correct, or is there something I'm unaware of here?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    excess calories cause fat not the fat macro nutrient.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    In the end it is going over your cals that makes you fat not where the cals come from. Enjoy the fat just keep to your cal targets!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nope. In my experience high fat foods keep my fuller longer which makes me eat less making it easier to stay under my calories. I also have more energy to exercise so it is causing me to loose weight easier. Again in my experience higher sugar foods (even sugar substitutes) cause me to be hungrier, crave more, and harder to stay under my calories. Its also makes me more tired and sluggish. I know people passionately stand on both sides of the line with this but that is my experience.
  • bounceaway
    Options
    I believe need some fat intake too.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Fat does not make you fat.

eating too many calories for extended periods of time makes one fat.

Dietary fat is a required Macronutrient. Make sure you get enough in your diet.
  • Chia7Berries
    Options
    Like the others said No. Actually including all the healthy fats in your diet can help burn of bad fats in your system (you have to eat fat to burn fat). When you have to little fat your body tends to believe that their is some sort of famine going on, and it stores body fat thinking its doing you a big favour by helping you get through the supposed restriction.

Avoid/reduce the transfats (bad fats) and increase uptake/include the fat burning good fats noted below:

Monounsaturated, such as those found in olives, avocados and macadamia nuts, as well as the oils from these foods.

Some saturated fats, such as those found in coconut oil and organic butter

polyunsaturated fats, of which there are to types "omega-6" found in nuts and seeds, and oils from these foods and "Omega-3s found in oily fish, linseeds (flaxseeds), walnuts and pecans and the oils from these foods

• jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Fat is an important nutrient, and I have had the same experience as Rivers2k -- I'm able to stay within my calorie goal more easily if I eat fats (protein and fiber are also great). Enjoy that pork chop! :smile:
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    No. I have lost 92 lbs. eating 65-70% of my calories from fat.
  • Iridescent_Identity
    Options
    Um, wow! I didn't expect so many responses - thanks everyone! I just want to make sure I'm taking all the right steps in this journey. I feel guilty when I get the boneless pork ribs from Aldis, I feel like I'm cheating somehow - it's so yummy! I love macadamia, cashews, pistachios, and have even had some almonds and walnuts to get the healthier fats. Fish is actually growing on me, like salmon is freaking awesome! I'm starting to get tired of the same meals all the time though. Any quick & easy ideas are welcome. I do keep track of portions with my digital kitchen scale, so I'm getting used to normal portions again. It's good to know I'm not the only one who loves the "fat bits" as my 5 year old fondly puts it....lol