How to resist late night cravings

Options
All through the day i am fine i don't feel the need to binge on junk and if i do i have good willpower but when it's really late like 11 or 12sh it kicks in i feel like eating everything and i have to eat like 2 peices of toast or cereal before going to bed even if I've had quite a big dinner from the evening at like 7pm. How can I deal with this because i've heard it is the worst time to eat?

Replies

• tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I haven't a clue but I need the advice too!!
  • bexxoxo_
    bexxoxo_ Posts: 2
    Options
    This is my biggest problem too! If I could resist the chocolate biscuits in the evening I think I'd have reached my goal a LONG time ago!

Anyone know the secret?? :)
  • diblader
    diblader Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem and need an answer too
  • Lwoodslim
    Lwoodslim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. I try drinking some hot tea. Staying really hydrated will help to, but I think it is more a deal with self control. Good luck everyone!
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too. So i tried brushing my teeth after dinner as if saying to myself thats my last meal and its only water i can drink after that. Or try to go to bed early.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Actually, when I first began my weight loss journey, the dietician the doctor sent me to said "to eat" something light around 9 PM, as otherwise there is too long a period of time between supper/dinner and breakfast the following morning. So, I'll try some fruit, a handful of almonds, yogurt....something like that. Healthy, but something.

Try not eating a "big dinner" and save some calories for a snack in the evening.

Good luck!
    Kaye
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One of the best ways I have been told to beat a craving is to drink 8-12oz of water, and take a walk for 10 minutes. It works or at least it has for me.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    We have dinner usually at 6pm... so afterwards, it's clean up, homework & getting ready for bed (everyone is fairly busy). But at BEDTIME, I do get the muchies... sometimes terribly! So, I drink water... sometimes LOTS of it!! It sounds boring, but it's refreshing, filling & no calories to worry about while I sleep! :)

There were days (in the past) that I'd have cookies & milk, or poptarts, or ice cream... or even cereal before going to bed. Those were the days when I was 200+ pounds!! It's just a habit I had to change. Don't get me wrong... there are occasions when the hubby and I will munch popcorn & watch a movie in bed... but it's not an everynight or even every week sort of thing.

:flowerforyou: Angie
  • ronzek
    ronzek Posts: 4
    Options
    This is my biggest problem too! Now I try to have a yogurt smoothie instead and it is really good. And only 70 calories per serving.
  • companyestart
    Options
    I also face the same problem but I had find out one solution which is very effective. I had just prepone my dinner time by 1 Hour and i take dinner from 6 to 8 pm and I find it is very effective
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Go to bed sooner!!! :laugh: But seriously, I will save some calories for an after dinner snack. 100 calorie bag kettle corn, Pirates Booty, or a glass of chocolate ovaltine. I'm not always hungry for a snack but just knowing, while eating dinner, that it is my last meal for the day because I am out of calories makes me want to raid the fridge!!
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Brushing my teeth helps me too. I also try to distract myself with a book, or put on some nice calming music and comfy pj's and go to bed.
  • Jenn2020
    Jenn2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is just a suggestion. I am a binge eater (I don't purge, but I binge) I have a hard time with chocolate and I to wake up in the middle of the night and look for something to eat. I bought these chocolate fudgesicles. They are 40 calories each, and in the spring and summertime are perfect. Since, I count my calories on here I can usually have two and not go over my calories. I get my chocolate fix in, and I get something cool in my system. During the cooler months I have a cup of hot chocolate which is filling for me.I have found that since I started this program at the gym I have only binged once after easter, and it was nothing compared to the way I used to binge. If I think of any other ideas I will gladly share them with you. The best way to go, at least for me is to try to get the items you eat out of the house or reach so you can eat them at night.
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    That has been my problem too....I say I am done eating and close out my MFP food log...then a few hours later have some chips or peanut butter....I need to find the motivation I had in January.....sigh... At least I am confronting what I am doing and going to try to distract myself and not go to food at night... Luckily I have only waivered between 1 and 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks...but if I was motivated, I maybe would have lost 5....today is another day...get back on the horse.:)
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go over you calories i really don't think it matters when you eat. Your body doesn't stop workign at a certain time of day, it's still running and using up the fuel your putting into your body.

I eat when i'm hungry which occasionally has been gone 10pm and the only time i've not lost is when i've filled myself full of rubbish going way over calories.