Sore ...push through it?

Options
Today is my gym day but i went two days ago and did 35 minutes on the treadmill at various inclines. Yesterday and today my legs have been sore. Not painful or to the point where it feels like I've pulled a muscle or anything. Should I go to the gym today and push through the soreness or take another day off to recover?

Replies

• nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Go today but don't push it to the point of real pain.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Sounds suspiciously like you didn't do a lot of stretching after your workout if you're that sore from using the treadmill two days ago. While there IS such thing as too much exercising, there's NO such thing as too much stretching! :-)
    If you're new to working out, it's really important to do proper stretching AFTER you work out.
    Get someone at the gym to show you some stretches to do after your workout. I'd still use the treadmill today, but perhaps focus more on a 10-15 minute gentle warm up before going back to any of the interval work. If you're new to the treadmill work out, you might have done too much too soon. Good luck on your journey.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Push through it... the sore goes away fast when you work yourself through the pain. But don't hurt yourself.
  • joilet
    joilet Posts: 99
    Options
    at least do some walking

i always find that getting your body moving helps to work through the soreness
    laying around lets your body stay stiff
    don't push it, but do something that is active

then follow it up with some stretching fo the sore areas
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Go for it...active recovery is good for your muscles. It's actually good to get into the gym and the more you do the better your body is at processing the lactic acid that produces the sore feeling. But like every day when you work out, listen to your body, do what you think you should (while still pushing).

Just don't skip it! It will create bad habits :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If it is just general muscle soreness, I'd push through. The soreness generally goes away as you loosen your muscles up. But be aware of your body and don't push to the point it does get injured.
  • misslashon
    misslashon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot guys. I usually stretch beforehand but I always forget to stretch afterwards! I'm gonna go ahead and go.
  • mweaver69
    mweaver69 Posts: 2
    Options
    Definately go to the gym today. I think you will find after a light warm up your legs will not hurt as much. AFTER you warm up a bit stretch out for a few minutes especially your sore muscles, when you are done with your workout, make sure to cool down, and then stretch again. If you do this, combined with getting your muscles in better shape your soreness should go away.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Push through it, don't hurt yourself, stretch after FOR SURE!
    - Keeping your legs moving will actually help with the soreness. :)
  • torregro
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys. I usually stretch beforehand but I always forget to stretch afterwards! I'm gonna go ahead and go.
    y

Keep in mind that stretching BEFORE a workout is no longer recommended. You definitely want to do a warm up of anywhere from 10-15 minutes, but you do your stretching AFTER the workout when your muscles are nice and warm. And we're talking about static stretching here...none of that bouncy bouncy stuff they used to have us do in high school Phys Ed. ;-)
    Also.........be sure to hold the stretches long enough to do some good, so that you can relax into them and really get a good stretch. 2 minutes per stretch would be great.
  • misslashon
    misslashon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about the stretching beforehand not being recommended anymore. I'm gonna have to read up on that. Thanks.
  • torregro
    Options
    Many great articles and research sources out there regarding stretching
    Here's a basic primer from the Mayo Clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/HQ01447/NSECTIONGROUP=2