Shout out to those who begin again even when it's soooo hard!

Options

Replies

• EachDayDoesCount
    EachDayDoesCount Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am with you...I started back again today. we can do it this time!
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That is why this time around I am focused on..."Not gaining any weight" It is working and I have lost 9 pounds but a lot slower.

To the best in all of us all, "Cheers!"
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Found this today:"The phoenix must burn to emerge.” - Janet Fitch. It fits, it truly truly does.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    pprigge wrote: »
    ... started back in again with New Year. Down 14 lbs and determine to get to my goal size this time, we got this!!

Well done! :smiley: Great effort!
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What I've decided - and this has worked, is that if I'm facing a tough period, a period of masses of social plans that I want to enjoy, or ill-health, then I'm allowed to stall. I'm allowed to gain up to three pounds of the 42 I lost. I'm allowed to stall as long as I need to to recharge my batteries, but I have to keep on calorie counting as much as possible and eating at maintenance as much as possible so as not to undo my amazing achievement that I worked so hard for. What I'm not allowed to do is gain back the 42. If two or three go on - and they have -plenty of times, back on that deficit. This attitude works, for me. No more yo-yoing.

I wish everyone the best of luck in their journey. It is probably the hardest thing a person could do, it takes months and months and months and years sometimes, but it is worth it.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I started over on January 12, before that I have one weight loss attempt here again last winter, using the same strategy, but two months in despite the results I gave up. I knew I was coming back though :) Down 11 lb or so, 85 to go.

Have you guys got any "lessons learnt" from your previous attempts? I see looking back I have a tendency to get a little too lax with myself and let my calorie goal creep up unchecked and I had not really made exercise an integral part of my life. Fixed those two by plotting my weight loss vs my intake so I can see the difference between eating enough and eating enough to stall, and by spending at least 30 mins being active (strength, cardio) 6 days out of 7. What about you, are you changing anything this time?
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Awww, thanks! I lost 60 lbs but gained it back by being dumb. Starting over, now a few pounds more than when I started the first time. Lesson learned.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Have you guys got any "lessons learnt" from your previous attempts?

I think there's a success level you need to hit not to give up. I think that's where I went wrong before. I'd lose a bit, think "I'm still so fat and ugly, and I hate giving up all those lovely things - what's the point? I could be fat AND have a bottle of wine tonight" And I'd gain back to starting point. Then I joined a slimming group, and the support of others was just so encouraging and motivating, and I lost enough to start to feel really good about myself and to see massive changes in my overall health. Success breeds success. Allow yourself to have it!

• ValRawn
    ValRawn Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this. I really needed it.

After losing over 40 pounds the first time around, and then gaining it all back (and then some), I didn't think I had it in me to go through it again. Once I realized I was heavier than when I first started, that all the hard work I had put into losing was all for nothing, the overwhelming feeling of failure became too much to deal with and I gave up. I gave up on everything... on weight loss, on myself, on life. I stopped going out because I was embarrassed for anyone to see me. I didn't even want to go to family functions because I was afraid they would judge me. Well, that lasted almost 2 years and here I am, ready to start over. I am done feeling sorry for myself. It was me who did this to myself, not anyone else, so it is only me who can fix it. I have to remember it won't happen overnight and not let that deter me. I have to allow bad days and mistakes to happen and just remember to move on from them instead of letting them hold me back. Most importantly, I have to start loving myself enough to know that I am worth the hard work because I am pretty freaking awesome!

Thank you to everyone for sharing your encouraging stories! You are all amazing!
    Hey, all!

Thanks so much for all your "not giving up!" stories and snippets.

When I wrote the OP, I realized many people may relate to that from a viewpoint of weight loss.

For me, weight loss is not so much my focus. For certain reasons, I struggle with emotional eating as a coping mechanism to cover anger and sadness and to keep negative thoughts and feelings at bay.

For most of my life, I was unaware that this is what I've been doing.

Starting again, in terms of my own experience, means breaking the cycle of emotional eating by: 1) developing more awareness that I'm even doing it 2) acknowledging and accepting that, at this time, it still occasionally occurs and will continue to do so until I address the underlying issue and find suitable alternative coping strategies 3) develop and practice new coping strategies 4) being gentle and kind to myself, including positive self talk, when things feel hard and I feel slow and I want to cover up those negative feelings with food.

Something that someone recently told me that I found extremely helpful:

"The healing process is not linear, as much as we want it to be. It would be easier to move from one thing to the next and so on until we are healed. But instead, the healing process is more like going up a spiral staircase. You go around and around, moving through the same struggles again and again...but you are getting closer to where you want to be."

This was great for me, because it spoke to my own thoughts and experiences. Although I recognized I still have difficulties, I do have to stop every now and again to see how far I've come.

If you want to know more about my personal experiences, you can check out my profile. Within I reference two audiobooks that have become great resources for me.

And although many people have heard that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...not so many people think about how many of those miles are made up of:

- Wandering around because the traveler has no clue of where they are going...they only know they don't want to stay where they are.
    - Retraced steps when the traveler hits a dead end and has to turn around.
    - Retraced steps when the traveler unintentionally heads right back in the direction they came from, only to, sooner or later, figure out that is NOT where they want to head.
    - Expanses of new, challenging and totally unfamiliar territory.
    - Terrain that allows the traveler to exercise underutilized muscles and develop strength and surety.

And

- Hundreds of thousands of moments of decisions that may seem irrelevant at the time, but ultimately add up to being exactly what gets the traveler to where they are going.

Best to you all!

~M.C. Turtle

• pprigge
    pprigge Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Jillish23 wrote: »
    pprigge wrote: »
    ... started back in again with New Year. Down 14 lbs and determine to get to my goal size this time, we got this!!

Well done! :smiley: Great effort!

Thank you, hurting today because I started the Jillian Michaels shred series this week, but I don't want to be skinny-fat. Going to take a stab at it again tonight!
  • Amazing everyone.

Keep at it!

Know that you are not alone in struggling to make changes.

Know that you are alone in trying new things.

Know that there is a bunch of positive vibes out there swirling all around you.

Best to you!

~M.
  • Hit the weights again after several days of not being able to make it. Glad to be back. Was much harder today. Needed more breaks but I did it!
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's what matters! I saw on my 8th workout thurs that the cardio was much less difficult after only 2 weeks of doing it. I'd call that an n s v! Also feel and see my backs of my arms tightening up and my hips of my pants looser! Keep it up!
  • nightglo
    nightglo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can't even count what "time" this is - 4th? 5th? But I've started over again as of a month ago and I've lost almost 20lbs so far. The hardest part is to be happy with the number I see on the scale versus what it was a month ago - and not tearing myself apart for all the weight I've lost so many times before. What got me every time was the minute I stopped logging calories, then a fear of the scale and consequences would begin. Slowly I am preparing myself to completely redefine my relationship with food (binge eater). I'm ready, let's do this!
  • wannabthin1831
    Options
    Logging holds us accountable. I lost 2.4 lbs this week but after calculating my b m i realized that my goal needs to be 148 not 150 meaning I still have 30 to go despite losing almost 20 lbs before this... At my worst before using mfp I was 198! Yikes! Felt sad for a minute then said to myself this didn't happen overnight and progress is what I need to focus on. And sustainable loss. I want this to be the end of the yo yo. If I sustain I will be at goal by May . That's doable. What I'm scared about is the $ I'll have to spend on getting new clothes. I like my styles I wear and have a pretty big wardrobe between work and casual and going out stuff. But I decided I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.
  • nightglo wrote: »
    Slowly I am preparing myself to completely redefine my relationship with food (binge eater). I'm ready, let's do this!

It definitely takes time and awareness to do this but it is soooo worth it. As you change your relationship with food, make sure to look back and give yourself props for that progress. Sometimes it happens too slowly to really "see" the difference.

Best!

~M.C. Turtle

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    How are you all doing guys? I hope most of us are still in!
  • wannabthin1831
    Options
    Still going at it myself. Lost 10 lbs since end of December and now fighting a cold so not having unreasonable expectations for the next week. Just gonna eat mindfully while sick as exercise isn't going to happen while down for the count..
  • mitasha87
    mitasha87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Restarting after months! I cant stand feeling unfit anymore! Ive tried so many things and its always just a dent in the numbers with me. But im really hoping this time around MFP, my fitbit, and new exercises and a new motivation will click in and work. Atleast Im back to try again!! Good luck to everyone youre all inspiring.
  • MolassesCoveredTurtle
    Options
    Thanks for asking Wiseandcurious. Had/having a bout of emotional triggers and roadblocks. Learning how to navigate.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!