Logging swimming

Options
I did 14 lengths in 15 mins is this moderate or fast?

I really have no idea lol

Help me

Replies

• Amber_Kunkel
    Options
    I want to say moderate but I could be wrong. Maybe see what someone else says first before you listen to me, lol
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    It depends how long the lengths are!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Moderate. Anything slower than a one minute lap is considered 'light/moderate' according to all the information I have found.
    I do ten laps in 10:30 and still log it as light/moderate.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I swim for an hour everyday and unless I am really booking it I always log it under the lowest one because I don't want the chance of overcalculating calories.
  • bex22mcn
    bex22mcn Posts: 90
    Options
    Definitely Moderate :) Check you out though, getting through those laps!
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How hard were you going, I thik this is what matters!

If you are interested in calculating the calories then your relative speed is not so important.
    What matters is the effort...

An olympian may do 100 mt in 1' and consider it moderate, a technically challenged swimmer might swim the same distance in twice the time and be very close to a heart attack because was trying so hard! :-)
    So it does not matter what level you are at, but how much you push it!

Good luck!
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    Lol
    Thanks

I logged as moderate anyways but wanted to check :-)
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I swim in an Endless Pool so I'm not sure about time per lap, but I've found that MFP tends to overestimate the calorie burn on swimming for me. I swim for 30 minutes straight and log it as "light". My HRM shows that I usually burn about 200 calories, or about 70 less than what MFP tells me.
  • mweaver69
    mweaver69 Posts: 2
    Options
    wimpey is right, I am a swim coach....

you can to this to help

time one lap and swim at what you think is a moderate pace....record time, and heart rate
    rest for 3 minutes or so then time a second lap and swim at what you think is a rapid/vigorous pace....record time and heart rate

if your heart rate is elevated in the second swim and your time is faster then you can use these lap times for your workouts

you should redo this every two weeks or so especially if you are just jumping back into the pool as your lap times and heart rates will fall the more in shape you become

In the swimming world a lap is usually considered down and back most pools in the United states are 25 yards long so this would be 50 yards

SOME pools are 25 meters long

OLYMPIC size pools are 50 meters one way (100 meter laps)
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I swim in an Endless Pool so I'm not sure about time per lap, but I've found that MFP tends to overestimate the calorie burn on swimming for me. I swim for 30 minutes straight and log it as "light". My HRM shows that I usually burn about 200 calories, or about 70 less than what MFP tells me.
    Which HRM do you use in the pool? I was in a fitness shop and they advised me that they didn't have one that was "waterproof" and intended for use in the pool... I would LOVE to find one I can use when I swim.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Which HRM do you use in the pool? I was in a fitness shop and they advised me that they didn't have one that was "waterproof" and intended for use in the pool... I would LOVE to find one I can use when I swim.

I would love to know this too
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. It says in the manual that it is "water resistant", but I was a little worried about taking it into the pool. Did some research and found that it's fine as long as you don't push any of the buttons while you're under water. I've used it pretty regularly in the pool for the last few months with no problems. And it seems to be pretty accurate.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I use a Polar F7 in the pool and as long as you rinse it out after it's fine, the only thing I find is if I'm really pushing it it moves and loses my HR so make sure it's strapped on tight!