Cooking Veggies

Options
hey guys, looking for new ways to prep my veggies..... Anything will help. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Roast them! Pretty much all veg are lovely sprayed with a bit of EVOO and a sprinkle of salt and roasted.
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    en papillote. Cut up root vegetables (carrots, turnips, parsnips, radishes, onions, potatoes) and put in a parchment paper bag or enclose in parchment paper with herbs (basil, thyme, etc.), salt and pepper, and a splash of white wine or wine vinegar. Put the package in a baking dish and cook at 400 F for about 30 min. Add some butter or olive oil if you wish.
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love roasting broccoli with a little oil, salt, pepper and greek spice and when it comes out I put a little parm on it. I also like doing asparagus roasted with just salt and pepper. Depending where you live if you can BBQ year round get your self a BBQ basket and do similar to the broccoli with a little oil and some seasonings. I love doing mushrooms, peppers and onions together on the BBQ. Or the same but add some zucchini or yellow squash circles.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The best way to cook broccoli and cauliflower is in a skillet, on the stove. Put them in a lightly greased, piping hot pan and stir occasionally until they've browned a little.

Then pour liquid into the pan, enough to come about 1/2 inch up the pan. Broth or citrus juice will add nice flavor, but water works as well. Cover with a lid and let the veggies steam until al dente.

With this method, the browning adds a lot of flavor, and the steaming cooks the veggies while giving it a nice texture

I used to roast cauliflower and broccoli in the oven, but it usually comes out a little too dry. I much prefer the texture of steamed broccoli/cauliflower.
  • AndreaIsLosingWeight
    Options
    I was stirfrying veggies on the stove. I wanted a bigger pan to prepare them in bulk. I read online that you can roast them in the oven. I baked/roasted some over the weekend and they turned out great. I put lunch size portions in small containers and freeze them until needed. I have a month's worth this time.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Definately roast them! I use garlic infused EVOO and coarse salt and, if I have it, Parmesan. Brocolli and cauliflower are so much better to me this way.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    NaurielR wrote: »
    The best way to cook broccoli and cauliflower is in a skillet, on the stove. Put them in a lightly greased, piping hot pan and stir occasionally until they've browned a little.

Then pour liquid into the pan, enough to come about 1/2 inch up the pan. Broth or citrus juice will add nice flavor, but water works as well. Cover with a lid and let the veggies steam until al dente.

With this method, the browning adds a lot of flavor, and the steaming cooks the veggies while giving it a nice texture

I used to roast cauliflower and broccoli in the oven, but it usually comes out a little too dry. I much prefer the texture of steamed broccoli/cauliflower.

I'll 2nd this! I love sauteed radishes as well which I usually pair with onions, spinach, carrots and sometimes potatoes.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Roasted carrots and brussel sprouts... I could never tire of those.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Roasted! I warm some oil in a pan and put a clove of garlic a few chunks of onion and some crushed red pepper in the oil until it flavors the oil. toss to coat the veggies. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast them in the oven. cauliflower is sooooo good roasted and there is a recipe for buffalo cauliflower that is supposed to taste similar to hot wings! i am going to try that soon.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Some veggies are better grilled in my opinion.. I do not like asparagus, but I had them wrapped in bacon and grilled and they were amazing, potatoes are good in the smoker, corn on the cob grilled, I also like stir fry, and soon I want to try roasted.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Roast them! Pretty much all veg are lovely sprayed with a bit of EVOO and a sprinkle of salt and roasted.

Agree with this.

I also like creating a mix of veggies that go well together and sautéing them. Some veggies I normally wouldn't think of, like fennel, can really add to the mix.

I really like green beans with a bit of dill added.

Greens can be good sautéed with olive oil and garlic and onions.

Sauteed mushrooms often add to a mix.

Cabbage is great with apples and onions.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Roast and puree with broth and a little cream or milk for awesome soups. Works with pretty much any veggie you want but my favorites are butternut squash, carrots, parsnips and sweet potato.
  • mountain01
    mountain01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bbq an artichoke! or make a vegetable soup with lots of herbs and spices.