So frustrating!!

Options
i just need to vent for a minute and hoping maybe someone here has felt similarly. So way back when not so long ago I was a fairly slender woman. Then I got tired of dieting and gained it all back plus a lot to get to the biggest I've ever been. Well about two months ago I got tired of being so overweight (trying not to use the f word) and started eating better and dieting again. Today on my weigh in I hit the over 20lb loss mark and it occurred to me that I'm so overweight 20lbs isn't even noticible. I remember when 20lbs was a huge difference and now it's not even a blip on the visibly noticible scale. It's really frustrating to know I've lost a good chunk and while I know I have a long ways to go, it's so far a way to go that not a single person could tell I've lost anything. I'm not going to let this derail me, but I needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening. Happy dieting.

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I had to lose 30 pounds before anyone at work noticed. And I'm not that big of a person (or so I thought).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Oh, you are wrong. 20 lbs is noticeable. Look here...this is only about 14 lbs for me:

I only took these pics cause someone told me to take monthly progress pics even if I didn't see any progress. Now I'm working out too - but again, this is only about 14 lbs:

03hbyad9r571.jpg

zrf2aoq551x2.jpg

• soccrplyr9
    soccrplyr9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Moonchild, I understand your frustration. I have lost almost 30 lbs, and it was just a few days ago that others started to notice. They looked shocked (not a good shocked) when I tell them how much and it feels like defeat. I can see it in their eyes that they can't believe what 27 lbs down for me looks like. I feel better, have more energy and my clothes are definitely fitting better. So, that keeps me motivated...I have 45 more to go, and I am sure that they'll notice then!! LOL
  • moonchild226
    moonchild226 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Oh, you are wrong. 20 lbs is noticeable. Look here...this is only about 14 lbs for me:

I only took these pics cause someone told me to take monthly progress pics even if I didn't see any progress. Now I'm working out too - but again, this is only about 14 lbs:

Great job! Keep up the good work. Maybe I'll start to do the same. That's not a bad idea!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    i just need to vent for a minute and hoping maybe someone here has felt similarly. So way back when not so long ago I was a fairly slender woman. Then I got tired of dieting and gained it all back plus a lot to get to the biggest I've ever been. Well about two months ago I got tired of being so overweight (trying not to use the f word) and started eating better and dieting again. Today on my weigh in I hit the over 20lb loss mark and it occurred to me that I'm so overweight 20lbs isn't even noticible. I remember when 20lbs was a huge difference and now it's not even a blip on the visibly noticible scale. It's really frustrating to know I've lost a good chunk and while I know I have a long ways to go, it's so far a way to go that not a single person could tell I've lost anything. I'm not going to let this derail me, but I needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening. Happy dieting.

Did YOU notice? Yes! Then that's really all that matters. Plus there are soooo many studies that show losing 10-15% of your body weight can improve your health dramatically so try and think of all the positives that your new lifestyle is bringing to your life.

Plus, keep in mind that weight is a bit of a touchy subject that a lot of people choose to avoid. People may have noticed but aren't mentioning it because they're being polite. Keep on going and the comments will come

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's hard when people see you every day. I see my mom maybe once a month or every few months, and I can always tell when she has lost some, even if she didn't think it was noticeable. But it's because I rarely see her! If I saw her every day, it would take a much bigger change.

I'm sure if you had gone away for a few months and came back 20 lbs lighter, people would be asking you if you'd lost weight.
  • moonchild226
    Options
    Thanks guys! I guess I notice a little but honestly not as much as 20 lbs should! Lol. I know it's just a number but it's still frustrating. Hopefully the next 10 lbs makes a difference if not to anyone else but to me.
  • tuckyfatbutt
    tuckyfatbutt Posts: 28 Member
    Options

HANG IN THERE. YOU see yourself every day. Others probably notice, but may not want to comment. I have a pair of Red Slacks that are my measurement. On Jan 2nd the waist band was about 10 inches from being buttoned. Feb 1st, I was able to zip them up about 3 inches. However March 1st, I was able to get them buttoned but not zipped up the whole way. It wasn't pretty either. I couldn't see the loss when I looked in the mirror. SO, the weight was/is coming off. Slowly. I had a meltdown on bad food late last week. Back on track this week.
  • tuckyfatbutt
    tuckyfatbutt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

03hbyad9r571.jpg

zrf2aoq551x2.jpg

THAT is noticeable. Way to go.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I guess I notice a little but honestly not as much as 20 lbs should! Lol. I know it's just a number but it's still frustrating. Hopefully the next 10 lbs makes a difference if not to anyone else but to me.

Are you taking photos? As some of the others have said it can be difficult to notice when you see someone everyday (that includes you). Photos in the same clothing, lighting, conditions might help you see the differences
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I absolutely recommend taking monthly progress pics...because honestly, I did NOT see a difference till I compared the two photos...and I was like 'HOLY (expletive)!" LOL
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    One day my husband asked me where I was going because he thought I had make-up on. I didn't put on makeup but I had lost about 10 pounds. I guess I looked different but not really. People don't notice the "weight" just something a little different. I bet your loss shows in your energy level and happiness. :) I think you got this!
  • moonchild226
    Options
    Thank you!! :-)
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about 40 pounds before people started to notice that I had lost a little weight. It also became more noticeable when I started buying new clothes that actually fit me versus my baggy clothes that used to be skin tight on me! I was getting discouraged too and then all of a sudden about five different people within a week was asking how much I had lost and telling me that I was looking good! Keep working and before you know it others will notice your hard work.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've lost 60+pounds and only a handful of people have mentioned it to me. On the other hand, no one said "boy, are you getting fat" when I was going on the other direction. It's nice when someone notices, but ultimately you have to find your satisfaction within
  • moonchild226
    Options
    Alright, pictures have been taken! Here's to seeing a change next month! :-) thanks again everyone!