Day 2. Feeling frustrated

Options
hello all. I just stated this diet yesterday and I'm already feeling defeated and frustrated. I thought I'd start out just eating my normal food choices to see how many calories I actually eat while trying to stay right at or under. And both days I have gone over by about 350 calories. That's basically an entire other meal. If anyone has any good meal tips or any tips at all i would appreciate the comments. Thanks. Kellie

Replies

• indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    One, you are here. Two, you care enough to put the effort in to count the calories in the first place. Three, hook up with some friends on here that have similar goals to yours (or just motivate you!) and Four, it is a journey and a destination. It takes time and patience. You WILL meet your goals and you WILL reach your destination if you are steadfast.

Are you careful about snacks and drinking enough water? That is a good place to start seeing if you can trim calories away without feeling defeated.
  • BMillerDBQ77
    BMillerDBQ77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks are the worst. Just accept that you'll have a learning curve and not every day is going to be perfect. Once you find yourself eating less and not missing the extra calories/food, you'll be amazed. When I first started losing weight, I did low-carb (totally cold turkey!). The healthy foods that you enjoy are what get you through. Plus, the exercise is a win-win; you're burning calories and making yourself stronger. Look for your favourite recipes and then lighten them up (low-sodium, low-fat, etc). You can often substitute ingredients for the ones that you want to avoid. I loved potatoes and learned how to use cauliflower instead. (It also makes a pizza crust- recipes are all online.)
    Many people are often held back by sugars. Their bodies have a "need" for sugar of all kinds. Once they start limiting their intake, the body doesn't crave it anymore- it takes about 2 weeks for a "sugar addict" to lose their sweet tooth. I know that some nutritionists wouldn't recommend, but I chose non-sugar sweeteners if I need a sweet-fix. Of course, I now use them rarely, and don't overdo my diet of sugar-free candies.
    Keep yourself busy, moving, not for exercise only. When you're starting out, you might notice that if you're doing something actively, even if it's just using your mind and not your body, that you're not as apt to eat. I used to eat out of boredom. I'm busy enough in the warmer months, but I recently found a winter sport that is awesome exercise and gets me out in the woods (which I love).
    If you're making healthy choices already, even though you're still going over the calorie limit, then you've got a great head-start. Start to look at the items that are too calorie-costly and ask yourself if you can lighten them up, substitute, or keep them as a once-a-week item.
    And you must cheat once in a while! I lost the most weight in the weeks that I had a higher-carb meal from my favourite restaurant. You have to give yourself a treat for a job well-done or you will feel defeated.
    Hope this helps. You can do it!
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The sugar withdrawals...ah, so true. As a substitute sweetener (like for coffee or tea) try Stevia (all natural, no calories, and sweet enough to trick you!)
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Fill out your diary early in the morning, and plan what you are going to eat that day. Keep tweaking until you are under, and the meals still seem super delicious. I haven't changed what I eat so much as figured out how to manage with fewer calories. For example, I like cheese... a tablespoon of shredded is just a yummy on a sandwich as a big thick slice. I am starting to get used to the smaller portions, and am not as hungry as I when I started. Best of luck.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't go crazy your first couple weeks and then burn out--baby steps! If you've been gaining weight for months, eating at maintenance for a week before going further is a reasonable win.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My least hungry days include zero calorie noodles.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I started very much the same way. I found the easiest thing was to change my proportions without really changing much else at first. I started taking smaller meat and starch portions and filled the rest of my plate with extra non starchy vegetables. I recently discovered cashew milk (unsweetened) and love it in my coffee. At 25 calories a cup it is a wonderful calorie saver.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    350?! Ha! First day I logged, I realized I was eating something like 4,000-5,000 calories a day (it was a typical day)! Day two, ate the same stuff at smaller portions and halved my calories... felt 'hungry' but not starving. Day three, adjusted sweets to 1/4 and tried to get higher in the fats and proteins and ended below goal... still 'hungry' but no more than day before. Adjusted and experimented with different 'hunger' on different days until I could eat what I wanted (just smaller portions!), reach my daily 'nutrient' goals, AND end the day not hungry on as little as 1200 calories (though 1200 was never and isn't my limit -- just like to be able to in case I want to plan ahead for a 'big' day but not suffer).

Requires patience, willing to be a bit hungry or accepting going over some days, and not removing/feeling guilty about your favorite foods while adding lots more 'filling' things such as veggies and lean proteins (while making sure to get some fat too). Best thing I found at first: replacing the high-carb/high fat side (fried potatoes, rice) with steamed or stir-fried lower-starch veggies (I'd still add fats in the form of butter, but then I could be sure on the exact amount!). If I want the high-carb/high fat thing I'm sure sure to be diligent about portion sizes and adjust other meals/snacks to fit. You can look for lower-calorie 'replacements' for some foods, so long as you *like* said replacements. I looove konjac noodles so sometimes (more often now as I've learned to cook with them) replace pasta with them. I HATE all fake sugars and stevia so it's *never* an alternative. Sugary-sweet or nothing, thanks: I'll fit it in my day!

Also requires *accurate* measuring! Get a scale! Account, account, account for everything you put in your mouth, so you're not discouraged when your weight reflects only 'guesses' or 'what you can squeeze into a measuring cup'... but also don't worry too much about going out and not having calorie info/not being able to measure their portions perfectly. If you're totally accurate and honest when you can measure, a few dinners out without perfectly accurate calories should have little to no impact.

And because you asked for meal ideas, my favorite dinner (all measures are raw):

1 package konjac noodles (also known as 'shiritake' or 'miracle')
    4 oz tyson frozen chicken breast (like this brand because a lot of the fat is removed so you get a lot of protein for your punch!)
    6 oz your favorite low-cal veggie (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, broccolini are my go-to's)
    1 serving cheese
    .5 servings butter or margarine
    spices to taste (I use garlic and chili pepper)
    splash of teriyaki sauce
    splash of soy sauce

-dry-fry the konjac noodles in a non-stick pan until noddles are springy and dry-ish, adding a splash of soy near the end
    - coat chicken breast with spices and bake with a spritz of non-stick spray, add splash of teriyaki sauce toward end of cook time, let the escaped sauce sizzle in the banking pan, then roll the chicken around in the sizzled sauce just before removing
    -steam the veggies, add butter or margarine
    -combine everything together in a bowl, sprinkle cheese on top
    -enjoy your 300 calories or less VERY filling and full of nutrients meal!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? It would help if we could see your diary.
  • drajbirbal
    drajbirbal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. It can be very difficult the first few days, or even the first few weeks.

I viewed this as a completely new approach to eating - like learning to eat all over again. It's very exciting!!! And creating recipes, planning, anticipating, living, feeling great, and seeing results are what make it so exciting.

I had no idea what to expect when I set my 4 goals - first 15 pounds, then start working out, then 10 more pounds, and finally 10 more pounds. It's been 8 weeks and I'm 1 pound away from my ultimate goal (35 pounds total) - and I feel I can lose so much more.

It's an amazing feeling when you see the results. But it may not come right away. Hang in there.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal. If you were eating in a deficit naturally before, you wouldn't be here. :)

Keep logging. Keep whittling. You'll get the totals down. Is your goal set to Maintenance right now, or are you trying to hit a deficit target right off the bat? It might be easiest to tell MFP you want to maintain your current weight, which gives you some wiggle room to get used to logging and take stock of what you've been eating so you can identify places to cut.

Other tips:
    - planning ahead works well for me, and many others
    - get a kitchen scale and weigh your solid foods -- and use the app so you can see as you're prepping and plating what it's going to come to, cut back before you eat it
    - see if there are snacks you can reduce or cut (I'd rather tough it out until lunch, because, like, lunch IS coming, than be stuck after dinner hungry with no calories, so I often save snack calories for either after dinner, or pre-workout, if I'm having to fit my workout in and I'm hungry)
    - get a rough "budget" for calories for meals & snacks going in your head

Stick to maintenance until you adjust physically and emotionally. Then start upping your target and whittling more. Keep it, adjust to it, change it after if you like. I also see you don't have much weight to lose, so 1 lb a week would be reasonable to work up to, don't try for 2 I don't think.