How to calculate calories burned?!

Options
when you workout do you go with what the app says on calories burned or do you use an outside source. I'm just worried that the app is telling me that I am burning to many calories when I haven't really burned that many. Thanks!

Replies

• FITM0M30
    FITM0M30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been using a heart rate monitor. Polar FT4 it is reasonably priced at $54.
  • jmasci20
    jmasci20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Once you've used a heart rate monitor for awhile you'll be able to adjust what the app calculates based on your own experience. For example i know it overstates my calorie burn for a boot camp class by about 20% based on using the HRM so now I just adjust the minutes down so the app gives me the right calorie amount.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A lot of variables come into play when calculating calories burned, the most accurate way is to use a heart rate monitor.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HRMs are mostly inaccurate, for most exercise, for most people, most of the time.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Just remember that heart rate monitors are best for steady state cardio and don't give accurate burns for things like weight lifting or circuit training, or anything where your heart rate continually jumps from high to low.
  • ccvianzon
    ccvianzon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor. Until I decide to get one. I relied on my trainer. She says the average work out and depending on what types (if its a strength day) I adjust. Also, I base it on how I feel I did. Did I work harder? Am I sweating? Could I have gone an extra 5 min? So far it has worked for me.