6 months, 20 lbs - slow and steady!

Options
2»

Replies

• meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress! thanks for posting such a great realistic example.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Great results!!!
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Congratulations! :)
  • jtempalski
    Options
    way to go! Keep up the changes you've made b/c they are definitely working :smiley:
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    amazing job!

My weight loss is slow and steady as well; I am fluctuating between 18-20lbs lost and started 4 months ago. I started at 202 and now I am between 181-183. It is nice to see that it is taking other people a longer time to loose the weight; it helps keep me motivated when I don't see the scale change much.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well done you! That 20lbs has made a great difference in your shape.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I was getting discouraged at my slow progress, but seeing your progress picture makes me realize what a difference 20 lbs can be as well!
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You look so great! Congrats and keep up the good work!
  • LauraFincher
    LauraFincher Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Your doing great!!
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look fabulous...very motivating. Is it through diet changes and/or working out? I hope to be like you ;-) slow and steady!!
  • Flips37
    Flips37 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I am so glad it has helped you all to see my slow and steady progress. Although the 20 lbs technically took 6 months to lose, I went easy over the holidays (just maintained) so it was probably more like 5 months of active weight loss.

My basic strategy has been to make healthier, sustainable choices. So I cut back on calories (my daily goal has been about 1450 before any exercise calories) and tried to up my protein and fiber intake a bit. I was very strict about logging for the first several months and I think this gave me the push I needed at the beginning. Now I will usually log breakfast, lunch, and snacks and use those numbers to help figure out what/how much to eat for dinner.

I've always wanted to be a runner and have dabbled very lightly in the past. I upped my running to about 3 times per week. I've worked my way up to 2 days of 3-4 mile runs during the week and then a "long run" of 5-6 miles on the weekend. I am working to increase this with the goal of a 10 mile race this spring. I've also added in some strength training (kettlebell and dumbbell work, primarily) at home.

Oh, and I started back in the fall with the 30 Day Shred. Like the food logging, I think having a strict exercise regimen at first gave me a jumpstart. I don't think I could maintain that schedule (same-ish workout everyday would get boring), so I started changing things up once I finished it. But seeing the results of the food logging and 30DS over the first month really helped keep me going when I was feeling frustrated. After that, I knew I could do it and it made the following months easier :smile:

• Flips37
    Flips37 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing! I am hypothyroid and have been on daily synthroid for the past 7+ years (dosage has increased from 50 micrograms to 112 micrograms over that time). Per my endocrinologist, my thyroid is about as effective as "a piece of cardboard" at this point :wink: It took me awhile to even start trying to lose weight because I felt so pessimistic with a metabolic condition working against me.

But, it can be done! I really think the slow and steady approach of lifestyle changes (not crazy workouts and dieting) was especially helpful. I didn't expect to drop 5 lbs a week, so I wasn't frustrated or upset when I didn't. I was happy about every 0.1 lb that came off because it was evidence that the thyroid condition did NOT mean I couldn't lose some weight.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Already looking fantastic! Keep up the great job. :D (*)
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    you look great!!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Good job! I feel like a "failure" for having lost "only" ten pounds since Christmas. However, it may be slow, but I am not gaining weight, and have made some progress.

I am not expecting lasting change to occur overnight. I even had, gasp, tater tots yesterday! Sure, went out for dinner, had tater tots...once in three months. Used to eat them once a week!
  • fdfallie
    fdfallie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! That's great progress. And I really needed to read/see that today because I feeling the same 'this is going really slowly - arrgggh' but slow is better than not at all and it's still progress :)
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You look incredible - you can really see it in your pictures! Keep up the good work:)
  • Texalese
    Texalese Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great job you look great. Mine is coming off very slowly too and that's fine!
  • enchanted_daydream
    enchanted_daydream Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! You look great :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!