How do you get through the first few days?

Options
I'm an emotional eater and however strong my resolve is the night before, I find that within two days the slightest little thing sends me reaching for the chocolate again. It's like a never ending battle. How do I just say enough is enough and do this?? Would love any help as this is really getting me down x

Replies

• jenlaura
    jenlaura Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I used to binge every 3 days. I'd be good as gold for 2 days then binge on the 3rd. Keeping it all out of the house is a good idea and finding different alternatives. I have a low calorie hot chocolate that tastes good that usually gets rid of the cravings. Tell yourself you can have it later. You usually forget about it or don't want it anymore I find!
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has ever worked for me is just not keeping it in the house. If I have to go out and buy it, it's usually enough of a deterrent to just do something else until I don't feel the need to eat anymore. I know it sounds corny, but have you ever tried taking up a hobby that will re-focus you? Knitting keeps me very zen.
  • marywood1994
    Options
    I stopped having junk food in the house, replaced it with fruit so when I felt lime having a binge I'd fill up with berries and rice cakes. After the first week those cravings go away :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Lots of cups of tea. Every time I would reach for a snack, I would make myself a cup of tea instead.
  • Qnkaylee161
    Options
    I understand how you feel because I also love sweets. I found that eating peanut butter in the morning with my breakfast helps me stay fuller throughout the day and helps my cravings a little bit. I just eat about 2 table spoons worth!
  • MyouTakaraTriesAgain
    Options
    I just have a small piece of chocolate. Trying to deny myself sweets completely always backfires, so I just have one fun-size and make it last.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Lots of cups of tea. Every time I would reach for a snack, I would make myself a cup of tea instead.

Me too. I have lots of different teas, in different flavors, with and without caffeine that I try to reach for when I need a snack. Especially if I want a dessert.

• steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Drinking flavored sparkling water really helped me. I always hated the stuff, but started drinking it randomly at the same time I started losing weight. I found I really liked the orange flavor at Trader Joe's. I drink it with my meals to make sure I feel full, and also taking sips of it between every few bites helps me eat slower. I also drink it between meals when I start to crave food.
  • halaghh
    halaghh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try to keep yourself as busy as possible. I notice that when I'm starting a diet I really can't have a lot of free time or I'll cheat.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Stenobun wrote: »
    The only thing that has ever worked for me is just not keeping it in the house. If I have to go out and buy it, it's usually enough of a deterrent to just do something else until I don't feel the need to eat anymore.

The funny thing about this for me is that it has the opposite effect. If I don't have what I'm craving on-hand, then I'll definitely run off to the store to get it. But once I'm in the store... Heaven couldn't stop me! I find all kinds of things I decide that I *also* "need".

If there's chocolate at my house I can eat 1oz of semi sweet dark chocolate morsels, then it's all good and I'm satisfied. But if I have NO chocolate available, then I'm off to the store and I come home with a piece of pie, two candy bars, soda, etc.

@snowy_sk‌ - I was having the same problem with starting, then binging, then starting, then binging. The only thing that really helped me was easing into it slowly. I started off by eating smaller portions, or eating less bread on my sandwiches. I was basically just taking small steps toward self-control. I didn't lose any weight the first month because I wasn't tracking anything and I was likely eating those calories in other places without realizing it. But the following two months I lost a little bit of weight each month. Then I began calorie counting on the fourth month.

I could never "dive right into it" because it was like being thrown into a pool of ice water. I had to wade into it slowly and acclimate myself to it.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Just. Keep. Going.
    Accept that you are not going to be perfect and keep realistic expectations. Today, make it your goal to do better than you did yesterday. Then tomorrow, do the same. Pretty soon, you're on a roll!
  • VixenLips
    VixenLips Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eat half an hour after you wake up [have fruit] and eat every 3 hours after that.
    Having fruit throughout the day is going to keep your sugar cravings down so that they're manageable, until you don't have any anymore.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I just have a small piece of chocolate. Trying to deny myself sweets completely always backfires, so I just have one fun-size and make it last.

This definitely has worked for me as well. I think I have eaten less chocolate as time has gone by without me really realizing it. I would always have several bars ready to eat (especially during PMS time) and they wouldn't last long... now, I eat a few squares of a bar and I'm satisfied. The bars last longer, it's been a while since I bought some more chocolate. :blush:
  • icedcupcake1981
    icedcupcake1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just take each day at a time. I don't deny myself the odd treat now and again cos I'd go mad otherwise! I now find going to the gym helps too, especially if I am feeling frustrated.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Stay busy. If you work in a position where you're sitting most of the day, make trips to go get water/tea. Use your lunch to eat, and then walk. I always want to cheat when I'm bored. Working out when you're stressed feels cool, too.
  • MrIntense89
    MrIntense89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find it gets easier the longer you do it; if you can make it past the first 3 days without breaking you've a fighting chance!

Also try to remind yourself why you're doing it, and more importantly what you'll think about yourself tomorrow if you break today (you'll enjoy that cake now but tomorrow when those cravings are gone you'll hate yourself a lot more!)
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just want to echo the peanut butter tip. The fat keeps you sated. After a week the sugar craving diminishes, it really does.

Emotional eating is hard to change. Be realistic and accept it takes time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How aggressive are your goals?

I'm about 2.5 weeks into a cut after having maintained for 1.5 years and then went on a bulk cycle for 4 months...this cut was not something I was looking forward to.

For me, it helped to end my bulk and just go to maintenance for about 1 month or so and from there I just kind of started cutting back on things here and there slowly until I was in a good deficit. I didn't just jump into a 500 calorie deficit from my surplus...I don't think I could have done that.
  • literique
    literique Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Story of my life... I've "started my weight loss journey" a billion times, usually stop within a few days. This time, 2 weeks of eating my calorie amount & working out... whats differencr this time?? My Fitness Pal! Seriously... logging my food has made it a "challenge" everyday and holds me accountable... logging EVERYTHING keeps me on track!
  • laurahickman14
    laurahickman14 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey, im looking for friends to help keep me motivated with positive encouragement- all friend requests accepted! And motivation shared back too ☺️