Working out after car accident

Options
We were rear ended yesterday evening. Nothing too horrible but I have some aching in my upper back. I skipped my workout today and did some stretching instead which helped for awhile, but the soreness came back later in the day. It is not exactly painful but I can feel it. I really hate taking days off from working out but do not want to do any damage. I have not decided if I need to go to the doctor. I was going to give it a couple days to see if the soreness goes away but how long would you wait to even attempt to workout? I usually do three days of strength training and three days of cardio a week. I hate to miss a week but am contemplating just sticking to more restorative/stretching type of workouts on Fitness Blender.

Replies

• danawhitmore1
    danawhitmore1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    same here. mine happened on friday and got a lot worse over the weekend so i am now on constant painkillers....oh joy

my GP gave me some print outs yesterday of exercise for back problems.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Backpain/Pages/low-back-pain-exercises.aspx

i have looked at these and none of them r suitable as they just hurt to much. if u can do stretches i would say stick to them for a few more days and go doctors by the end of the week if the soreness is still there.

My GP said u cant do any more damage by doing exercise, the only thing that might happen is that u prolong the healing process if its too strenious.

good luck :)
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The advice I have been given with my various injuries including whiplash is: the first 48hrs rest, use alternating heat and ice packs as they reduce the swelling and increase blood flow to the area thus increasing healing, take anti-imflammatries like ibuprofen, then after that period exercise but carefully and gently . See how your back feels and increase or lower intensity of your workout but defo recommend doing yoga x
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I went in yesterday. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot in the hip (which after reading up seems weird for upper back pain) and some iborifen and Valium to relax the muscle at night. He gave me the okay to lift weights and exercise but I think I will give it one more day on lifting since reading a bit more on these injections. I think I will stick with the stretching for one more day. Thanks for the advice!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I went in yesterday. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot in the hip (which after reading up seems weird for upper back pain) and some iborifen and Valium to relax the muscle at night. He gave me the okay to lift weights and exercise but I think I will give it one more day on lifting since reading a bit more on these injections. I think I will stick with the stretching for one more day. Thanks for the advice!

My common sense says if you are on drugs to relax your muscle, you probably shouldn't be working out in a way that would effect that muscle.

I would honestly give yourself a good week to recover since you are experiencing pain that caused you to go to the doctors. I've heard a lot of people that experience pain from accidents days later. Better safe than sorry.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    what did your doctor suggest?