Discouraged and Disappointed

Options
I don't know what is wrong with me. I feel lost and unmotivated. I am self sabotaging. It's so frustrating. I don't know how to get out of the funk I am in. I know what to do, yet I can't keep myself focused. Anyone have any advise or books they have read, or idea on what to do to help myself back into the swing of things. I was doing really well and eating healthy and working out and logging daily..then all of the sudden..I stopped. TIA.

Replies

• lwatson0
    lwatson0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Did you previously have a goal that you have now reached? In other words, what was your motivation before?
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Also, how long have you been on this? I feel if things become a routine you start losing focus, which then becomes de-motivating. Setting myself goals (achievable ones, otherwise it becomes depressing as well) is what motivates me.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You probably disappeared in the distance ... hope you rediscover the focus
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Is anything happening that's tipped your inner life? How are you conceptualizing this change in healthier living? Are you being too extreme and burning yourself out? Do you need more emotional support? Is being in it for the long haul discouraging? These are some questions you can explore if you feel they might be useful. Sometimes understanding your habits and thoughts rejuvenates motivation.

Like another poster mentioned, setting achievable goals can be very motivating. Success--even small ones--can boost our focus and help us remember that we are capable and strong.

I also like to read the success stories here. I glean a lot of good information about how to achieve better health and it's just great to visualize that I might be where they are someday.
  • mountain01
    mountain01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think this is more common then you may think. I have my days but then I dig deep and find that little bit of discipline which makes me exercise. I have 30 pounds to go, a very long way. I hate the way I look in the mirror, I want my 20 year old body back but, like others have suggested, make small goals. Attack and destroy them, that will make you feel better. Good luck!
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Think about why you all of a sudden stopped. Did someone say something? Did you give up after an indulgent day and think you trashed everything? Are you afraid of something changing in your life? Are you giving in to old habits when stress triggers happen? Is it a combination of things and now it has snow balled?

When you figure out why, you can identify the root cause and begin to solve it. Don't get too discouraged, this is hard work. Look back on the evidence of your success and remember what was happening or not happening that allowed you to succeed. Build new positive habits one at a time. You can do this and you are worth the effort. Good luck to you and safe journey!
  • cjrusso3
    cjrusso3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Read "The Long Run" by Matt Long. It's an amazing book written by a former New York fireman. It motivated me to stop making excuses about working out and helped me realize not to stress over the little things. It's an autobiography about a man who is, literally, run over by a bus, given less than a 1% chance of living, and his quest of achieving his dream of completing and becoming an ironman. It's somewhat of a "dude" book but I loved it.
  • Seekerami
    Seekerami Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Been there now loseing weight and feeling better .please add
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just regroup and take a break/ go to maintenance try and relax and chill out till you get your mojo back. You cna then take time to figure out what happened and talk it though with friends how you might get back to it.