Calorie Counting - GOOD OR BAD!?

Options
I know this may sound stupid as this app is made for calorie counting but I am starting to struggle with the whole concept of it all! I feel like I am constantly obsessing over numbers and in a way I think this could be making me worse?

I have been tracking back on here since January, the first month or so was fine, February I was good throughout the week but then stuffing my face at the weekend, now I feel like I am back to square one. I am starting to wonder if I will be better not tracking what I eat calorie wise. I still want to monitor what I eat so maybe write it in a diary.

Just thinking that way maybe I won't obsess about food as much and actually eat less? I am finding myself always thinking about food and what I can fit into my day, sometimes I'm not even hungry and its as if the figures are taking over!

Would love to hear your opinions whether this is a good idea or not!?

Thanks,

Replies

• feralcat07
    Options
    Funny I'm the same. I'll ask my instructor at the gym see what she says
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calorie counting does work, however, that does not mean it is the best technique for all personalities. I have seen people come here who struggle with body image issues and restriction disorders and I think calorie counting really can enhance that, which is not at all healthy.

It can be a tough process to adapt to, and I think most people go through a phase of obsession before they fall into a comefortable zone. That was part of my "learning" experience, but I never felt that it was taking over my life.

Prelogging/planning might help you out. Take 30 minutes the night before and plan your breakfast,lunch, dinner and snacks out. That gives you the time to put together a sound meal plan for the next day, and then go on with your life. Over time you will build a routine that works for you and start eating better naturally with less thought. I tend to be a very repetative eater for breakfast and lunch, so I just have my "go-tos" for those meals. I get more creative with dinner :)
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree with @4legsRbetterthan2‌. It's a learning process. If what's going on now isn't working, tweak it. You have a smaller amount of weight to lose, from what your profile says, meaning you're going to have to really take it slowly - do not expect 2, or even 1 lbs a week. Having too low calories can make getting your favorite foods in difficult. Can I ask how much per week you set MFP to?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    To paraphrase Shakespeare - only thinking makes it so. Good/bad depends on how and why you use it. If you are undereating and bingeing, then the way you are using it isn't very good. But a lot of people use this tool successfully without issues. So it may be good.

Review how you use it, try to adjust. If you can't, drop it and seek counsel for disordered eating issues.
  • rebeccahunt718
    rebeccahunt718 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to calorie count since November and mostly am doing good during the week. But like you, I try to stuff my face during the weekend. I have 10 pounds at this point to lose.

I will, however, tell you: it gets better! My stomach is definitely shrinking. We went out for a late meal last night -I did not log :( - and we went to Five Guys. I got the little bacon cheese burger and we got a French fry to split. Normally I would eat my whole burger and half the fries without thinking about it. But last night (and a lot of meals recently) the burger made me full and the 1/8th of the French fries I had pushed me over the top making me feel sick and like I was going to explode.
    Calorie counting does work, however, that does not mean it is the best technique for all personalities. I have seen people come here who struggle with body image issues and restriction disorders and I think calorie counting really can enhance that, which is not at all healthy.

It can be a tough process to adapt to, and I think most people go through a phase of obsession before they fall into a comefortable zone. That was part of my "learning" experience, but I never felt that it was taking over my life.

Prelogging/planning might help you out. Take 30 minutes the night before and plan your breakfast,lunch, dinner and snacks out. That gives you the time to put together a sound meal plan for the next day, and then go on with your life. Over time you will build a routine that works for you and start eating better naturally with less thought. I tend to be a very repetative eater for breakfast and lunch, so I just have my "go-tos" for those meals. I get more creative with dinner :)

I try to pre-log at night. The only problem is we get catered lunches regularly at work. So I leave lunch blank and have everything else pre-logged so I know how much I'm allowed to eat at lunch.
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What you'll realize when counting calories is how much you overeat. I didnt know I was eating 1000 calorie meals 3x a day! So it helps!
  • monsonjodi
    monsonjodi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It helped me I lost 105 pounds by counting calories it helped me realize how many calories was in the food I was eating I have kept it off for 5 years and I don't have to count calories anymore I just continue eating healthy.