Stupid dumba** scales!

Options
Ok, I started this journey using the standard mechanical scales and I monitored my weight loss according to them. I then bought digital scales and although they both gave me a completely different (14 pound difference) weight, the rate of weight loss was the same. I currently weight my self on both scales to make sure they are comparable in terms of weight loss achieved.

This has worked fine for tha last 4 weeks but now my mechanical scales say I have put on 2 pound where as my digital scale says I have lost 2 pound!

Has any one else had this problem and if so, what did you do?

Replies

• dylanco
    dylanco Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The problem could be that one (or both) of the scales isn't zeroed correctly. Check the directions for the electronic scale to learn how to zero it. Ultimately I recommend you use one scale (the one you trust the most -- probably the new electronic one) and enjoy the free time you recover by not weighing yourself twice!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Just get rid of the mechanical scale. The digital ones are more accurate, and you're making yourself crazy. One scale is enough.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My analog (old dial type) scale weighted me 5 lbs less than my new digital scale (bummer). My digital scale and my doctors scale say the same thing, so I trust the digital. I have read this story many times on these boards. Go with the one you think is more accurate and forget the other one. Bummer if you need to up your weight on your ticker, but as long as you are still losing dont sweat it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My analog scale was always more forgiving, usually saying I was 5 lbs lighter. I tossed it b/c my digital scale seemed to match the doctor's better. Even though I'd prefer to see a number 5 lbs lower, now that I know it's not accurate, I don't want to bother. I want to know my real weight and my real weight loss.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i hate scales, just sayin'....
  • ealbers
    ealbers Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you want to check the accuracy of the scale, I've taken some small hand weights I have at home and put those on the scale to see how much it is off. The digital scale was within .2 lbs of the weight I put on there. Just a good way to check.
  • Rswink
    Rswink Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have to remember than a small bathroom type scale is the most inaccurate of devices. They are trying to measure an amount of deflection that is very small.

If you want more accuracy use a doctor's type scale, but make sure you calibrate it to true zero and then check it against known weights. They work by balancing your weight vs. a known weight on a slide scale. This is the same technology that allows you to lever large weights.
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I will be testing both scales for their accuracy using know weights.
    So many of you think that digital are more accurate that makes me very happy as it's the digital scales that make me lighter than I actually thought! I better check they are accurate before I celebrate too much :tongue: :tongue: