Sits at a desk all day

Options
Any tips or excersises to do at a desk

Replies

• lilladyxx
    lilladyxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do leg raises when im sat down. Then you pulse with your legs straight out and it strengthens your legs. Also when you're standing next to a printer or something, go up ontp the ball of your feet and back down slowly for ages, it really burns.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Kegels :)

Leg raises..hold each up as long as you can. I also enjoyed sitting 'indian style' and using the arm rest to lift myself up.
  • queenofcrowns377
    Options
    Thanks ladies
  • PMA150
    PMA150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Following, and looking for friends that also sit at a desk all day so we can motivate each other.
  • mgtownsend71
    mgtownsend71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    if you are in a building that has an elevator, go for a walk or two up the stairs instead. There are 5 floors above my office and I have not used the elevator in 2 months. 80 steps to the top :-)
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Get up at least once an hour and walk around your floor. I have a sit-stand desk so I can stand up, and do for the majority of the day. Beyond just getting you off your butt, it increases focus and productivity. Mine's from juststand.org, it might be worth the look for you!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I work in a multi-floor office and my office is on the top floor, so anytime I need to do anything...make coffee, use the restroom, use the copiers...I always do it on the first floor. I get a LOT of stair stepping in during my day!
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I get up a few times a day and go out and walk around a short block.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Can you leave during your lunch break? If so, use that time to go walk around outside or at a big store nearby and then eat lunch at your desk when you get back. Do 10-20 squats in the stall every time you go to the bathroom. Take the long way to get to the printer/break room, etc. Like others have said, take the stairs if your building has them.
  • tiastahl
    tiastahl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    has anyone ever used one of those mini bike pedaling things that goes under your desk? I've always wondered how they are.
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Those mini bikes intrigue me also. Any info out there?
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I also work in an office and I am trying to get my steps up. I would like to make 10K at least 3 time a week, but with rain in the forecast for the duration of the week, I don't see outside walking as an option.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    excercise band, yoga, stretching and deep bends lunges etc. just stand up once an hour anyway...i hear that is what we need to do. I stand and move as often as I can..in any way shape or form.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Standing desk?
    Exercise ball to sit on?
  • katrinamcgrew
    Options
    try desk cycle or under desk exercise pedals. I recently purchased one from target and I love using it at work.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Park as far away as possible. Use the stairs. I take a few walks around the building - it takes the same amount of time as other co-workers spend on a smoke break (and much better for you). See if the company will spring for a raise up desk (mine is a Varidesk). Fidget! There are some websites with creative desk chair exercises if you have your own office/cubicle (I don't, we are in an open floor plan configuration).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just get up and move around every once in awhile...instead of paging someone or sending an email, get up and walk to their office/cubicle. Take a "bathroom break" every hour to get up and move around. Take the stairs. Park in a spot that is further away from the building, etc. Beyond that, make time for deliberate exercise...like at least 30 minutes straight.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Plus, I have a gripper I use like a stress ball to work on my grip strength....but I'm weird like that ;)
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Just try to get up every 30-45 minutes and do a quick stretch and move a bit. Doesn't have to be long but enough to loosen the body.