Unnatural runner doing a half marathon

Options
I decided to set myself a fitness challenge so have signed up to a half marathon in September.

I have been running for about 18 months now and I'm still pretty slow and struggle to do anything more than 10km. I guess I really am not a natural runner!

Any others out there that really struggle with running but have gone on to do a half or full marathon?

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I did 5k twice, but nothing more than that. In fact, I was not running all winter and now doing c25k to run another 5k in May. So, even though I am even less of a runner than you, I am interested in 10k this fall too ! :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think I might fit that description.

I was never a runner. I'm something of an accidental runner almost. I only started running because I was committed to losing weight and taking VERY long walks, and once I was accustomed to these long walks the only way I could challenge myself was doing something more, like running or biking. Running is free so I started with that.

I was regularly doing 6 mile walks before I started adding in a little running for short bursts during my walks. It was not long before I was going 6 miles with this mix of walking and running. So I signed up for a 10k since I was already going that distance regularly. Sort of a "bucket list" thing, I suppose.

I planned on walking an running that 10k, and started at the back of the pack. I paced myself with those runners and wound up running the whole 10k! I had never run a mile before that day, and here I just went and finished 6.2 miles nonstop! It was a huge thing mentally. It really proved a lot of things to me, most of all that I could push myself further than I thought possible.

So I kept running. It took me a while to begin running 6 miles somewhat regularly, but I did. I kept adding a mile every week to my long run and decided to sign up for a half marathon to challenge myself to keep adding miles by the upcoming race date. I increased the miles, and finished that first half marathon!

I have however found myself having to stop running on a couple occasions due to foot pain...injury basically from pushing myself so hard for so long. It did not have to be that way and I am now working on the root causes of that. It basically comes down to strength and form in my case. The injuries are mostly due to running for extended periods with bad form. Sure, I can make the distance with that bad form, but I shouldn't. The correction to this bad form is increasing strength in my core and other parts of my legs that I am not using when running and stressing other parts of my body to compensate on long distances. I need the added strength to maintain good form for long distances. Running is becoming easier as far as I can tell. I am running faster for sure. I am able to maintain better form (and therefore keep running stronger) for further distances too.

I wish I had known this from the start. Instead of gunning for the half so soon, I would have spent some months simply building some added strength and muscle to help with running, and then after that started going for distance. Had I done that I could have still been running for that couple months where I was down to heal my foot, and would be running even farther than I am right now (at least comfortably and sustainably).
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Ha! I'm about as unnatural as it gets. I was not allowed to run the mile in gym class because teachers/parents/docs literally thought I would die. I have asthma, and being outside is a huge trigger.

Anyway, as an adult I decided that I was going to figure out running. Couch to 5k took me 14 months! True story! But once I ran the 5k distance for the first time without a walk break (in 39 minutes) something finally clicked. I signed up for and ran my first HM 4 months after finally getting up to 5k, 18 months after I first tried to be a runner.

Since then I've run 7 HMs and in fall of 2014 I ran my first marathon. Keep in mind, I'm not fast (26:04 - 5k, 2:06 HM, 4:50 FM), but I am a strong runner. My marathon was a very easy, relaxed 11 min pace. Keep in mind though, I train a good amount in the warmer months, 50 mpw, peaked at 59 for the marathon.

And the best part is, I've been off my asthma maintenance drug for a year (started running in 2011). Anyway, if i can do it, anyone can. Just build very slowly, follow a plan, run slower than you think you need to, be consistent and don't give up!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    When I first decided to do a half marathon, I was a begrudging high school cross country runner who thought anything more than 2-3 miles = death. I hated running and really struggled with anything seven or more miles. I just wanted it to be easier and to come more naturally to me, and I didn't want to work at it.

Fast forward 7 years, and I had run 6 half marathons and decided to run my first full marathon. It wasn't until I finally a) had no more knee problems and b) had a different attitude about running that I was able to break through my mental wall and really enjoy longer runs. I've now run 8 halves and 1 full, with another half and another full this spring.

The biggest thing for me I think was that I finally managed to get rid of and prevent a recurrences of IT Band syndrome and tendinitis. That allowed me to run for the sake of running rather than seeing it as some sort of slogging torture. But it also took me a long time to reconcile distances with myself and convince myself I could do it; once I had the confidence, I was running 12+ miles at a time easily!

Good luck with your training! I'm not sure if my personal saga helps, but I hope it does! :)
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't think I've ever met a runner who didn't consider themselves slow and/or unnatural... It's an interesting phenomenon...
    But the crazy thing about running is, someone will always be faster and someone will always be slower than you are. Even if I set a world record at the marathon, there'd be someone who could kick my hiney at the 400m, the 10k, the 4 Deserts Ultra Series. And even if you finish dead last, there are other people who couldn't even start.
    My old landlord just won the Badwater Ultramarathon by running 100+ miles through the desert in just under 24 hours. His pace per mile is the same as my half marathon goal pace. But, if you were to compare his times at other distances (aka, his marathon or 10k time) I'm sure he'd look turtle slow in comparison to the winners.
    I didn't start feeling like running came naturally until very recently, and even now, those moments of "flow" come between long periods of "holy mother of god, what the h*ll am I doing right now, this is the worst."
    You're a runner, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and enjoy the ride.
    It doesn't matter how fast or slow you're moving, you're faster than your couch.:wink:
  • MoniqueHoltman
    MoniqueHoltman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, so nice to hear other people's stories.

I think it is a bit of a mental hurdle to be honest. When I first started running I couldn't go more than 30 seconds without stopping and the other day I ran 1 hour 5 minutes. Might be slow but it's huge progress if I look at it like that.

Positive thinking - I can do this
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ME!

Find a good training plan and follow it, since its your first one make sure to give yourself plenty of extra time for training, you may find you need to repeat a week here and there before you are ready to keep moving on. Hal higdon has free ones online, that is what I used.

Like you said, it really is a mental game, my mind has held me back way more than my body.

Try seeing if there is a running group in your area, I just recently discovered and joined one in my town. Having friends to run with helps you push yourself harder, stay more accountable, and have more fun!
  • yogiamazon
    yogiamazon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is so nice to hear people of similar running experiences. I was always the tall kid with scoliosis in school - but swimming helped naturally align my body while I was growing. In high school I wanted to do a little more to help with staying fit in the spring - so I joined track to throw shotput. What I didn't know going in was how much my coach was going to push me to condition myself to run. She kicked my butt, but she also gave me the confidence to push a little farther and extend my boundaries. I started out with two knee braces and wheezing after a quarter mile - since then I have run two regular 5k's and last summer I did my first Warrior Dash. I am in no way a fast runner - but boy, is iy awesome to cross the finish line :)
    For training, what works best for me is to keep up with my strength workouts. When my legs are conditioned that way, it helps keep in good form when running. I also like to find random parks in the area, turn on the gps, and just go for 20-30 minutes.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you signed up! I did the same thing last year. I had run a ton of 5Ks over the past 5-6 years but I was always afraid to do more than that. Last spring I decided that I want to do a half marathon. I trained for my first 10K in May, took it easy for a few weeks, and then started a 16 week half marathon program. Did my half on November 2nd. I only ran 3 days a week because I was terrified of getting injured and not being able to race and I was able to avoid injury. I had some great training days and horrible training days. A lot of times I wondered why I was even doing this and that I should just quit. I have the personality that I always finish what I started so I kept going and I'm SO happy I did. The half was insanely rewarding and I can't wait til my next one this year. Like others have said, be consistent, don't do too much, and being slow is a GOOD thing when adding distance! I finished my half in 2:22 which was in the last 1/4 of female finishers but who cares?! I did it!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Have you considered planned walk intervals? Once I got up to 4.5 or 5 miles, I started having hip issues while running continuously. I started incorporating walk breaks and haven't had any issues since. I am most definitely NOT a natural runner. But I have completed 3 half marathons to date and am planning another this fall. I typically will do 8 to 10 minutes running, 1 minute walking. It's enough to help with the mental hurdle (I only have to make it another x minutes, then I can take a break) and the break keeps my form better so I don't get injured. As a bonus, I'm actually a little bit faster this way too.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think a marathon is over half mental! I believe most people can do the distance if they want it badly enough. That's truly the first step.

I used to hate running even a mile in school and I've now spent the last 15 running 5ks, 10ks, and I've completed 6 half marathons and 3 full... with more on the horizon. I'd also add I've been a slower runner and now I'm starting to dream and lay down tracks to qualify for the Boston marathon. So, the dreaming and mental aspect never goes away. :)

Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you can do 10K now you should be able to get up to HM distances by September injury free by following something like one of Hal Higdon's training plans (check out the Novice one). Don't forget to cross/strength train, it'll help with injury resistance and muscular imbalances (pay particular attention to core/hips/glutes)

If this is your first race I'd also suggest, if at all possible, that you sign up for a couple of shorter distance races (a 5K and a 10k for example) to give you a little exposure to racing. Even if your plan is to just finish with a smile on your face a little experience will help with the mental preparation. Racing can be a lot of fun but it can also be a little intimidating at first. Have fun!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! I am an unatural fat girl runner. I have done more than i can count 5k, 10ks, 15ks a few halfs and am training for my first marathon. my average pace is 12:20 its going to take me 6 hours to finish the marathon.

BUT

I am a runner!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    MoniqueHoltman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did actually sign up for a 5km colour run today. It's not a proper race as it has obstacles but it looks like a lot of fun so thought it could help break through that mental hurdle of thinking running is difficult/painful/boring!
  • ememinem32156
    Options
    I found its all mental for me, don't stare at the time and distance just keep going and pace yourself
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love this post. I am NOT a natural runner. I don't glide like a gazelle. I bumble along and look like I'm about to die... Or at least, that is how I feel -lol- I've got MFP friends that log 6 minute mile runs. I'm over here like really?!?!? I bounce around between a 12 minute and 10 minute mile. My saving grace is that I may be slow but I can cover a lot of ground. I have to use timers to remind me to drink water and turn back around. The downside, unless it is a long run, I'm a "back of the pack" runner. I don't even like running. I love the feeling AFTER but during??? I am mentally kicking myself for putting on my shoes ;)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I could just go forever. But that was 65 lbs less me. I committed to marathons and did five of them and one ultra (50 miles) when I was 29. I was in the 195 lb range then. Of that 65 lbs, 40 of it is muscle, but that doesn’t make for a better distance runner. In fact, most were surprised to see a guy close to 200 lbs running an ultra.

I’m about 220 lbs now, but I can still mentally push myself to go a distance (I did a tough mudder this weekend). And my brother has asked me to join his Ragnar relay team for a run next February.

One of the cool things about is race is the adrenaline that hits when you’re in with a group. It makes it so much easier to go the distance versus a training run.

And remember that you aren’t racing anyone but yourself. Enjoy!
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lol you are 100% right about race day adrenaline. My favorite part of any race is the first 5 minutes. I feel like speed racer passing everyone. Sometimes this gets me in trouble -lol-