1000 days on MFP - the rough and the smooth and the tips!

Options
aniahill
aniahill Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi guys

As I've reached 1000 contiguous days on MFP I thought I'd write a few notes on how it's gone.

Tips:
If you're on 1200 cals a day, don't just eat to get you to that amount-carefully consider what your body needs. I didn't and as a vegetarian I didn't eat enough protein and that resulted in my hair becoming brittle and in poor condition and after a year of eating better and having my hair cut I'm now back to where I was.
Eat back the exercise calories, yes I know everyone says this, but also be critical of how many calories MFP gives you. That being said, better eat too much than too little.
Don't chastise yourself too much for letting go especially if you've been strict for a while. You'll find that your body can't handle what it could before-I know mine can't and sometimes I want to have a massive pig out!
Learn to reward yourself without food - at 80kg I bought myself a Fitbit (I only remember the weight because it was the same as the price)
Food scales are much more your friend than erm human scales... Portion control is key

The good:
I'm now considerably fitter than I was before, I walk everywhere I can
I've lost 40kg (approx 7st)
I've found it surprisingly easy by planning and researching
I've now started to plan weeks worth of food in advance so I'm actually saving money on food, only buying what we need

The bad:
I've found out I don't know how to accept compliments about how I look - I know that sounds like a humblebrag but it does make me feel uncomfortable
I've spent loads on clothes during the loss and I hate clothes shopping
My mind definitely doesn't think I'm the same size as other people see
I'm left with lots of excess skin. I know I could have it surgically removed but I don't think it'll change how I feel
I never met my weight loss goal and, without removing a limb, I don't think I can because of the muscle I've gained and aforementioned excess skin
If I want to maintain, even though I have a feel for what's right and wrong now, I don't think I'll be able to stop recording what I eat. 

There you go! I'm not generally a negative person though it seems so from this post. I guess the point is, it's not all roses coming out the other side!

I'm here if you have any questions for me and I'll try to post a before/after

9xdcfv0tf83n.jpg
o5mcg0oci90d.jpg

Replies

• monicademitro
    Options
    I just started the pal app and I just love <3 your before and after pictures you look great and thanks for your tips :)
  • Holygoddess
    Holygoddess Posts: 52 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What an inspirational story. You committed to this life change and you used a phone application and the community to accompany you on your journey. What an incredible world we live in. Be Proud. (*)
  • aniahill
    Options
    Thanks guys that's really kind!

Don't forget to treat yourself if you need to - you're not a robot!
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Wise words :) Thank-you for that. You look fantastic.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm very impressed!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. You look wonderful.
    May I ask how did you know how much protein your body needed?
  • dsmay03
    dsmay03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great job on your commitment!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You look stunning! Thanks for sharing!
  • aniahill
    Options
    agbmom556 wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice. You look wonderful.
    May I ask how did you know how much protein your body needed?

Hi thank you. If you eat meat daily you probably get enough, but the calc is 0.75g per kilo that you weigh. There's a good BBC website article about it