Iifym help

Options
rtrevisano22
rtrevisano22 Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
starting iifym. Before this for around a month I was counting calories around 1,250 a day combined with exercise. I didn't loose one pound. I calculated my cals and macros on the iifym website. I now am supposed to eat 1750. How does that make sense to eat more?? And way more carbs then I'm used to. I just want to be sure I don't gain wait. Any help or advice?? Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How tight was your logging? Were you weighing food?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Asks for help with her eating......keeps diary closed!
  • rtrevisano22
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Asks for help with her eating......keeps diary closed!
    I opened my diary didn't know it was an option.
  • rtrevisano22
    Options
    I weigh all my food!! I think I wasn't consuming enough calories for my calories out and I read about "starvation mode"
  • Beast4242
    Beast4242 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. Was working out daily cutting my calories lower and lower until I finally stopped losing weight at all. And I had the same thought about eating more doesn't at first make sense. But really it all has to do with rebooting your metabolism. you need to eat at least a certain amount to keep things moving normally.

I upped my calories from 1500 to 3000 and didn't gain anything. Well I lost about 1.5% body fat since the beginning of the year (since I am lifting a lot) I have since dropped a little bit to 2400 calories bacuase I do want to lose some weight on the scale but it really has been a good thing for me. Your diary looks good, hitting your macros really good today. I think that is the key to this though is getting in that macro range consistantly, helps show you are eating well balanced food and feeding muscles and not just starving yourself.

All in all it is awesome because once you get used to tracking things it really feels more like a life change than a diet and if you feel like having something sweet or greasy or whatever you can as long as it fits.

Good luck, I think you are on the right track!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food!! I think I wasn't consuming enough calories for my calories out and I read about "starvation mode"
    Starvation mode in that sense is a complete and total myth. Eating too little doesn't stop weight loss. It can cause your metabolism to temporarily slow but it will not slow enough to negate weight loss. Calories in vs calories out control weight loss. If you didn't lose weight at 1250, and you start losing at 1750 I would bet all my money that you were counting inaccurately then, and counting more accurately now. Looking at your diary there are entries like 1/2 cup of something, or a tbsp of something. Are you using measuring cups/spoon or putting all these things on a scale?

What is your height and weight? How often do you eat out or have food you do not prepare yourself? How often do you have cheat/free days that you eat over your calorie limit?
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Starvation mode in that sense is a complete and total myth. Eating too little doesn't stop weight loss. It can cause your metabolism to temporarily slow but it will not slow enough to negate weight loss. Calories in vs calories out control weight loss. If you didn't lose weight at 1250, and you start losing at 1750 I would bet all my money that you were counting inaccurately then, and counting more accurately now. Looking at your diary there are entries like 1/2 cup of something, or a tbsp of something. Are you using measuring cups/spoon or putting all these things on a scale?

What is your height and weight? How often do you eat out or have food you do not prepare yourself? How often do you have cheat/free days that you eat over your calorie limit?

^This

Also, watch how many of your exercise calories you are eating back. MFP does tend to over-estimate the burn from exercise, so most people advocate only eating around 50% of them.

Good luck :smile:
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i see a lot of fruit/veggies entrees measured with a cup
    And a lot the same etc.

Are your really weighing ALL your solid food or using also tsp, and cups?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jordistsm wrote: »

^This

Also, watch how many of your exercise calories you are eating back. MFP does tend to over-estimate the burn from exercise, so most people advocate only eating around 50% of them.

Good luck :smile:

x2

Even if you follow IIFYM you still have to count calories...macros are for health and nutrition and if you stay within the macro settings your calories will be in the range but you are still in a calorie deficit.

Keep in mind too IIFYM follows TDEE which includes exercise so you no longer log those calories..you change them to 1 and eat the same every day.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goals are different because; 1) you are talking about two completely different methods of calorie counting and 2) you're probably not comparing apples to apples loss rate goals.

MFP uses the NEAT method for which your activity level only includes your day to day type of stuff...exercise is accounted for after you do it and log it and you get those calories to "eat back".

The IIFYM site uses the TDEE method which accounts for exercise in your activity level and thus an estimate of those calorie requisites are included in your goal.

Beyond that, when most people are comparing MFP to a TDEE calculator they compare a rate of loss goal of 2 Lbs here to TDEE - 20% on the other site...TDEE - 20% is usually less than 2 Lbs per week and is more like 1 Lb per week for most people.
  • rtrevisano22
    Options

Thanks for replying! I weigh 148 and I am 5'3. I generally don't really track my calories on the weekend which is defiantly not good so I'll have to get better at that. But I never go out to dinner unless it's a special occasion so I don't have that issue. Do you think I should go back to the 1250 cals or stick to the 1790 and tracking macros? Thanks for your help I appreciate it

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Thanks for replying! I weigh 148 and I am 5'3. I generally don't really track my calories on the weekend which is defiantly not good so I'll have to get better at that. But I never go out to dinner unless it's a special occasion so I don't have that issue. Do you think I should go back to the 1250 cals or stick to the 1790 and tracking macros? Thanks for your help I appreciate it
    doesn't matter which one as you just need to be accurate with your logging either way.
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    starting iifym. Before this for around a month I was counting calories around 1,250 a day combined with exercise. I didn't loose one pound. I calculated my cals and macros on the iifym website. I now am supposed to eat 1750. How does that make sense to eat more?? And way more carbs then I'm used to. I just want to be sure I don't gain wait. Any help or advice?? Thanks!

Dont be afraid to eat carbs. they are good for you, gives you energy. 1g of carbs or protein is 4 calories so eat up

The problem is your calories of 1250 is way too low. You should be at 1790 and gradually go down 200 calories if you dont see weight lost in a few weeks. Dont get frustrated and drop 500 calories, you'll end up where you started. You just need to track and measure every week and make adjustments.

Good Luck
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Well there is your problem
    Your body count in the weekend the calories.