Hip pain

Options
For about 5 months, I've had pain in my hips - like the pulled muscle pain you get from exercise. I thought it was the muscles/tendons tightening up due to a sedentary lifestyle (I'm a student, so spend a lot of time sitting). Went to the doctor back in December and she gave be a bunch of stretches, which didn't help. For the past week, I've been really active; been to the gym a couple of times, swimming a couple of times, and I've done some yoga. It hasn't improved at all really. Anyone got any ideas what it might be or experienced something similar?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Did you do the stretches as often as prescribed? Did you ever take time off to rest and let things heal?

It could be anything: a torn muscle, stiffness, misalignment, the shoes you wear, your running style, etc. Diagnosing over the internet is pretty much impossible. Personally I would go back to the doctor, I'm sure the stretches were just the first attempt at fixing the problem. Insurances usually require that sort of stuff before doing costly tests. You could also see a specialized doctor. Sports Medicine. Chiropractor. Etc.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you are dealing with this! I have had chronic pain in my left hip after a period of inactivity due to complications from a thyroid condition. The thing that seems to help the most is acupuncture with electronic stimulation. It is as if my practitioner is able to insert a TENS unit inside the muscle. A foam roller and, believe it or not, using a softball like a foam roller on the trigger point really helps too.
  • Walrozz
    Walrozz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Did you do the stretches as often as prescribed? Did you ever take time off to rest and let things heal?

It could be anything: a torn muscle, stiffness, misalignment, the shoes you wear, your running style, etc. Diagnosing over the internet is pretty much impossible. Personally I would go back to the doctor, I'm sure the stretches were just the first attempt at fixing the problem. Insurances usually require that sort of stuff before doing costly tests. You could also see a specialized doctor. Sports Medicine. Chiropractor. Etc.

I was doing no exercise whatsoever when it started, which is what made me think it was the sedentary lifestyle. Went to the doctor after 2 months and did the stretches exactly as prescribed. And now I've started my current exercise regime.
    Yeah, I think I will visit le doctor. Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
    Thanks for the answer!
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There is a hip disorder called AVN. It's not age related, and young people can get it too. If it is this, a person would know pretty soon as the hip pain gets really bad. An MRI and x-rays can confirm the diagnosis. It could be a groin pull too. They take a while to recover from. Like a few moths to a year! I hope you feel better soon.
  • Walrozz
    Options
    Jeneba wrote: »
    So sorry to hear you are dealing with this! I have had chronic pain in my left hip after a period of inactivity due to complications from a thyroid condition. The thing that seems to help the most is acupuncture with electronic stimulation. It is as if my practitioner is able to insert a TENS unit inside the muscle. A foam roller and, believe it or not, using a softball like a foam roller on the trigger point really helps too.

It's murder! Keeps me up at night and is a real pain when trying to get the willpower to exercise. Thanks for the tips - will look into it!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Could be a muscle imbalance. Could be an impingement of the hip due to a muscle imbalance. Could be but not likely a torn labrum.
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My hips are one of my weakest and strongest points. Strong from use, but I really stress them with martial arts. So I've done some work around them and here's what I've learned.

- Your hips are complex from a muscle, tendon, etc. perspective. They all have different functions (move leg in, out, up, down, front, back) and they're all layered in there on top of each other. Weird things are affected and not affected. I tore my uppermost adductor and it kills me to run on it, but I can still kick & jump. Makes no logical sense to me at all, but confirmed with some skilled people I really trust. So it can be kind of hard to figure out what you've done.

- A sports message therapist suggested a simple way to relax and re-align your hips. Stand with your feet about shoulder width apart and simply rock your hips side to side. So simple, but it's effective. And you can keep reading while you stand up for a few.

- Stretch, stretch, stretch. Push your stretches a little further than you thought you could, use bands to help maximize the stretch, etc.

- Strengthening the various hip muscles might help too. Start slow if you're sore.

- Heat can help as can topical creams like Bengay or Capzasin (which doesn't smell). All of these, though, can get a little tricky in the upper groin area and work better on the outer hip.

- If it keeps up, get it checked out again. I was very surprisingly diagnosed with arthritis when I was 21.

Good luck with figuring it out.
  • Walrozz
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    There is a hip disorder called AVN. It's not age related, and young people can get it too. If it is this, a person would know pretty soon as the hip pain gets really bad. An MRI and x-rays can confirm the diagnosis. It could be a groin pull too. They take a while to recover from. Like a few moths to a year! I hope you feel better soon.

Just had a quick Google of AVN - I hope it's not that, it sounds awful! D:
  • Walrozz
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. I'll keep pestering my doctor.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, I have had hip pain three different times over the years for completely different reasons:
    1) Endometriosis. Yes, it is normally associated with the female reproductive organs but the endometrial tissue can attach itself anywhere and , in my case, it was near the right hipbone. Lasted several years and then dissolved with no medical intervention.

2) Pelvic displacement. I fell and landed on a rock right over my left kidney. It actually tipped the left pelvic bone forward. Extensive PT helped, but I still get pain in the lower back/hip

3) Osteoarthritis of the left hip joint. Most pain comes when I lay down for a length of time on my left side. It became worse after the accident which displaced the bone, but had been there for a while. I knew my hip hurt, but it was discovered when the Dr. did x-rays after the accident.

I guess my reason for saying this is that there are many reasons for pain, some activity related and some not. Since you have already seen a doctor and have gotten no relief, I would go to an ortho for further investigation. An ortho is actually the one who suspected the endometriosis and sent me to a GYN for diagnosis.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is scary stuff! I just googled AVN and WHOA!!!! I wonder if the pain comes from a joint or a muscle or a bursa? Just for your own information before you see a doctor, you might at least be able to determine if the pain comes from trigger points. If you google fibromyalgia trigger points, you should be able to find a map of the body where most of the muscular pain comes from. If you recognize these pain patterns, at least you will have a bit more information before you go the doctor.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Walrozz wrote: »
    For about 5 months, I've had pain in my hips - like the pulled muscle pain you get from exercise. I thought it was the muscles/tendons tightening up due to a sedentary lifestyle (I'm a student, so spend a lot of time sitting). Went to the doctor back in December and she gave be a bunch of stretches, which didn't help. For the past week, I've been really active; been to the gym a couple of times, swimming a couple of times, and I've done some yoga. It hasn't improved at all really. Anyone got any ideas what it might be or experienced something similar?
    -
    - I have had hip pain that has kept me up at night, finally I went to a yin yoga class and after a few months of that class and a stretched and balanced class the pain subsided but it will return if I stop. I have tight muscles/tendons and such.

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Walrozz wrote: »

1. Does it hurt more when sitting for long periods, and hurt less while standing or laying down?
    2. Does it hurt more during hip rotation in either direction? While the hip is flexed at 90 degrees does the same rotation hurt?
    3. While laying prone, does the pain decrease if you have a friend pull minor traction on the leg (note: your friend will have to lift your foot off the ground/bed 3" prior to applying traction.)?
    4. While applying traction does the pain decrease, increase or stay the same with abduction or adduction?
    5. Does it ever feel like your hip is catching during movement?
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    If you want to feed your inner hypochondriac, this page has a list of common causes of hip pain. http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/hip-pain/basics/causes/sym-20050684

The best course of action is for you to see your doctor again, explain your symptoms thoroughly and then follow your doctor's recommendations. Dr. Google can't hold a candle to an actual doctor.

Good luck.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing the same thing a few months ago. It felt like there was a muscle pull in the back of my leg. I went to the doctor a few times, the first time they gave me some muscle relaxers and pain meds. That didn't really help so I went in again and they did some xrays. Turns out I had arthritis in my hip. They told me the best thing I can do it to lose weight. I carry most of my weight in my middle. I am working on it. Honestly I stopped taking the pain meds and the anti inflammatory/muscle relaxers and I'm now only taking Aleve. I have been trying to get back into walking. I notice when I exercise consistently I do feel better. Good luck to you!!
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing the same thing a few months ago. It felt like there was a muscle pull in the back of my leg. I went to the doctor a few times, the first time they gave me some muscle relaxers and pain meds. That didn't really help so I went in again and they did some xrays. Turns out I had arthritis in my hip. They told me the best thing I can do it to lose weight. I carry most of my weight in my middle. I am working on it. Honestly I stopped taking the pain meds and the anti inflammatory/muscle relaxers and I'm now only taking Aleve. I have been trying to get back into walking. I notice when I exercise consistently I do feel better. Good luck to you!!

Get to a doctor that knows how to check for femoral acetabular impingement and acetabular labral tears.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Find another doctor.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    If you have only been active for a week, you need to give it a bit more time. My hip actually gets tight after not being active and then getting active again. Here are a few really good hip stretches to open up the hip flexor as well as helping any hip impingement before working out.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/01/episode-363-pre-squat-hip-opener-mob-rx/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_713h6iug30
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion. There are lots of reasons you can experience pain.

My hip pain is the pinching of the sciatic nerve. Stretching helps with the hips in general, but when it gets pinched it makes no difference. Its a sharp pain that doesn't get better with walking or exercise. It gets better when the inflammation goes down and the nerve is released.

It can be triggered by a sedentary lifestyle-like working an office job and sitting all day. I did a consult on how to adjust my office chair (offered by the facilities dept at my workplace) and that was the thing that has made the biggest difference for me. I do find yoga helps keep my hips open but it doesn't provide emergency relief.
  • skip3rd
    skip3rd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest yoga! I have sciatica and hip pain a lot from all my tennis, but yoga has been a life savior. I recommend a basic beginner yoga, with gently stretching, not a hot yoga! Then I would have a massage to loosen the tendons and muscles. You could be out of alignment or your hip is out of joint.
    Yoga is better than a chiropractor. I actually had my hip "POP" in place when I was doing suomo squats. It was awesome and now pain free.