If you happen to be an emotional eater...

Options
what does food represent for you?

I know I'm horrible with this, but I'm really trying to put WHY I eat (binge) into perspective in hopes that I can learn more to eat when feeling hungry instead.

Food represents contentment, safety, and company for me.

Replies

• ReginaW0313
    ReginaW0313 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am totally an emotional eater. I eat when I am sad and when I am stressed out. Then I feel worse then I did before.
  • mbrownks77
    mbrownks77 Posts: 137
    Options
    ditto here! I eat for any reason whatsoever.... Usually it's a bag of doritos while I am reading. Then, I feel totally horrible after. I know it has something to do with comfort but I wish I could figure out how to stop!
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I think I'm a combo of emotional and closet eater. I do most of the eating when I'm home alone ... almost like if no one saw me, it didn't happen. But, I also eat when I'm upset, bored, sad, mad ... and I feel worse afterwards. I need to learn to break the cycle ... telling myself to STOP!
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    my overeating started as emotional eating, but i got on anti-depressants and go to weekly therapy. after i figured out the emotional stuff, i found that i was just eating to eat. i wasn't hungry or anything, i just ate because i was used to constantly eating. once i realized that is what i was doing, i joined MFP and the accountability has been crucial to my weight loss.
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    :smile: When I stopped smoking food became my replacement plus like the others said I eat when I am stressed or sad. But I am trying to replace that with exercise.......
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a combo of emotional and closet eater. I do most of the eating when I'm home alone ... almost like if no one saw me, it didn't happen. But, I also eat when I'm upset, bored, sad, mad ... and I feel worse afterwards. I need to learn to break the cycle ... telling myself to STOP!

I do the same thing! Somehow I can justify that if nobody sees me eat the calories they don't actually count, right? Oh lord I have a long way to go to change my mindset.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love food, it brings me joy and then guilt, lol. So yeah, that's my problem. I think the problem was growing up i got forced to eat things i hated, my dad made me eat to the point of me running to the bathroom vomiting and then having to sit back down to finish my food (this only happened once that i could recall) and we always had to finish out plates or else we couldn't get up and go play.
    I still do it today, i feel like i have to finish my plate even if i'm full, so i started putting only half on my plate.

My goal is to get to a healthy relationship with food. I eat when i'm bored, stressed or lonely. I eat just to eat b/c we have something delicious in the house.

I am trying to do the opposite with my kids. When they are full that's fine. They can eat the left-overs the next day (if there's enough left). And they can have candy but in limits.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think that I over eat to feel "whole", when I'm upset or stressed out I think that if I stuff my face I'll feel "whole" enough to be over it. It never works and like others have said, I feel worse afterwards. I've gotten a lot better with this though but I think that's where it comes from for me.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I happen to have a problem with this. Yesterday was a huge NSV for me. I was craving chocolate covered almonds so bad. I went into CVS down the street from me to get my allergy meds and I usually when I go in I will walk around looking at everything and then pick up a canister of chocolate covered peanuts. I did that yesterday. I picked it up 3 different times, the last time I just looked at it and thought, this is the reason I got so big. I put it back and walked away. I didn't even turn and look back. I got home thinking I should have bought it. I drank another glass of water and then got busy with cleaning my house. After 2 hours I realized that the craving was gone. I wasn't hungry and I know I didn't need them, I had just been bored. So instead of giving into the craving, I got busy and it went away. So I guess I don't need to listen to my thoughts each time I get a craving for something that will sabotage my health plan. I just need to be aware of what's triggering my cravings.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    This was the story of my life, as well. Cram food in mouth because you feel bad then feel worse because you have no self control and ate the entire bag of chips or a dozen cookies. You tell yourself Stop, don't eat anymore, but that does no good and you continue cramming. Then you feel totally depressed and wonder what on earth you'll do to fix this unbelievably viscious circle.

I certainly don't have it all figured out yet, but since working hard at eating right I've begun to feel very different, and I don't have the emotional eating deal anymore....... it's like the food I eat is actually nourishing my body for the first time in my life.

I've learned to cut out (or cut way, way down on) sugar, white flour, white rice, white bread, chips, candy, whole-milk dairy, fake foods and anything processed or hydrogentated. All of these things cause ill-effects in our minds and bodies, causing us to feel bad, which in turn makes us want to binge more. We have to turn that around and stop feeling bad.

Include on a daily basis the brain-healthy foods like Omega-3s from walnuts, flax, soy nuts and fish. We need all the brain-power we can get. Also keeping your Potassium levels way up (3500-4000) will keep you feeling positive and happy. Worked for me!

You can read about potassium here: www.krispin.com/potassm.html

Good book: "Eating Well for Optimum Health" by Andrew Weil, M.D.

Oh, and drink water water water water water. Cheers! :drinker:
  • Akiyah
    Akiyah Posts: 57
    Options
    hhicks.......With 57 lbs lost, I can say "you are doing it" keep up the great work!!!
  • Akiyah
    Akiyah Posts: 57
    Options
    Awesome!
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    hhicks.......With 57 lbs lost, I can say "you are doing it" keep up the great work!!!

Thanks! It's been a long journey and still a long journey ahead. Hopefully the last won't take as long as the first 57 lbs has been!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options

I do the same thing! Somehow I can justify that if nobody sees me eat the calories they don't actually count, right? Oh lord I have a long way to go to change my mindset.

Wow I am so glad I am not alone!
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I happen to have a problem with this. Yesterday was a huge NSV for me. I was craving chocolate covered almonds so bad. I went into CVS down the street from me to get my allergy meds and I usually when I go in I will walk around looking at everything and then pick up a canister of chocolate covered peanuts. I did that yesterday. I picked it up 3 different times, the last time I just looked at it and thought, this is the reason I got so big. I put it back and walked away. I didn't even turn and look back. I got home thinking I should have bought it. I drank another glass of water and then got busy with cleaning my house. After 2 hours I realized that the craving was gone. I wasn't hungry and I know I didn't need them, I had just been bored. So instead of giving into the craving, I got busy and it went away. So I guess I don't need to listen to my thoughts each time I get a craving for something that will sabotage my health plan. I just need to be aware of what's triggering my cravings.

FABULOUS JOB!!! Good for you!