Veggie help:)) I WANT to eat them!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Your list looks great. Veggies are quite absent from my diet and I try to make it up with low sodium V-8 juice.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, parnips, swede and celeriac are all great to add to potato to make a healthy (and veg laden) version of mash.

Ratatouille is an incredibly simple and delicious way of eating a decent portion of veg as well.
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Do you like stir fry?
    You can get 3-5 servings of your 5 a day in that! Just make with some fry light spray and it cuts out the oil content. I tend to use; beansprouts,onion,peppers,courgette,grated carrot,cabbage and a meat such as chicken or thinly sliced steak (with no fat).
    If you can't physically eat them like that then try like you said in burgers, make your own fresh from scratch and use finely chopped carrot and onion but make sure you bake them in the oven and not pan fry them unless it's in low fat cooking spray or it won't hold the nutritional content.
    Another idea could be making a vegtable pasta bake?
  • Angeladobush
    Angeladobush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    GRILL THEM!!!!!! Brush them with a bit of EVOO a hint of garlic salt and pepper......YUM! I do eggplant, peppers, squash, onions, portabellas, you name it!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm at a huge advantage. There are not many veggies I don't like. I do put parmesan cheese on my broccoli and carrots instead of butter. My kids and my husband like it that way too, and my husband never used to like veggies. You could give your kids raw veggies. My kids also like to have raw carrots, celery, cucumbers, ect. You can serve them that way with dinner too.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato makes a great alternative to regular potato for wedges etc as well.

Butternut squash can be used for a lovely and simple spicy soup.

If you're cutting out/down on carbs as well lettuce or some cabbage types can be used as a replacement for wraps. Just fill with grilled meat, beans, rice etc and maybe a little low fat cheese if you want and you've got a lovely meal.
  • Adeland
    Adeland Posts: 19
    Options
    I love to east yellow squash and zuchinni... I lightly brown them in a skillet (no oil or butter!), add pepper, salt, and parmesan cheese and it's great!
  • lelegrev
    lelegrev Posts: 15
    Options
    I like to use a hand grater to grate a medium size carrot into my pasta sauce. I also like adding chopped raw spinach to my pasta sauce. Any rice dishes I make I will usually add a grated carrot to as well. Carrots give everything a hint of a sweet flavor. Yummy.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    WOWZER!!! Thanks everyone!!! I stepped away for a blink of an eye to see what was going on over there on Facebook (yawn...boring:yawn: ) and clicked back over here and boy oh boy!!! What a treasure:smile: Thanks so much. I didn't think to grill them (ever). My mouth is watering thinking about mashed cawliflower:love: I am making this TONIGHT!!! Oh and the baking them all together sounds good. I will refer to this thread and seriously try everything on here (((hugs))) Thank you Thank you Thank you:))
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    Carrots are quite easy to squeeze into things, you could grate them and add them to salads or sauces - like bolognase or pasta sauces.

You could grill aubergine and courgette and use them like lasagne sheets or in addition to. Throw in some red peppers, tomatoes cook down to pretty much nothing when cooked as part of a sauce.

You could make some home made curries using dry spices rather than pastes and add a whole host of veg - pepper, toms, cauiliflower, brocolli etc, if cooked for long enough they tend to disintigrate and would take on the spices.

Or soups, a nice vegetable soup, using some root veg like carrots, parsnips, potatoes, swede, throw in some peppers and the usual onion and garlic with some chick stock and any other veg and seasoning, then you can blend if you don't want to eat the chunks of veg. (any soup really would be great for disguising veg) - good for lunch or a quick dinner.
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    OK, if you have a minute, read this blog post by a really talented woman I know (and check out the rest of the blog for crazy weight loss inspiration!). The veggie dilemma is ironed out here better than I can ever say it. http://www.whoatemyblog.com/2011/05/guest-post-by-shaun-chavis.html
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem. Never was a real veggie lover, but I am getting better week by week. I try to eat cucumbers or broccoli with fat free dip as a snack during the day or marinated tomatoes and cukes. I also make a yummy Asian broccoli slaw with spicy peanut dressing that goes great with grilled chicken. Pure veggie goodness and you can eat a ton of it for very few calories! I try to add finely chopped zucchini or fresh baby spinach to sauces, soups and casseroles to bump up the veggies and sneak them in on myself wherever possible.

Try this- I make a really great "pesto" sauce out of sauteed spinach, garlic, onions and a can of white cannelini beans. When cooked, puree with an immersion blender or just mash by hand, add a squeeze of lemon and some parmesan cheese and voila- a great sauce for whole wheat pasta or, thin with broth to make a tasty soup. It tastes creamy and decadent but it's full of protein, fiber and VEGGIES! Even my two small kids love it.
  • istoleyourgoat
    Options
    Keep trying different ones! I have the same problem - I've never like vegetables. I just posted a thread about it last week, lol! I have been picking up something from the grocery store that I've never had and challenge myself to eat it. This week it was alphalfa spouts and jicama. I also cheat just to get my veggies in - like making a green monster in the morning (www.greenmonstermovement.com) and I actually love them! Or when I make the weight watchers General Tso's chicken (the recipe is everywhere on the net) I make extra sauce and put it over some veggies and just pretend I'm eating chicken. Each day vegetables get a little bit easier to swallow. Good luck!
  • jbdowns
    jbdowns Posts: 6
    Options
    The BEST way to eat fresh veggies is roasted in the oven or grilled. You can roast any veggie, just drizzle or coat with olive oil, roast in a 425 degree oven until done, usually 15-20 min depending on your veggie & what size. My absolute favorite is brussel sprouts. I coat with olive oil, garlic, & parmesean cheese, roast in oven 20 minutes, It is AWESOME!!!! they get just a little crispy on the edges. You can do the same with broccolli, cauliflower, asparagus, zuccinni, bell peppers, just about anything.
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bump! Awesome thread.
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Before I started my weight loss journey I would not have eaten a raw or cooked, green, yellow, red peppers and no one could of mention the word mushroom because I would gag and dont even try to slip onions in my food, yuck....Weeeelllllll, now that I have been exposed to diferent recipes and ideas here on MFP and on my own searches (mostly in allrecipes.com) I have learned of ways to cook them and I can actually say that I really like them now...! Last weekend I had for the very first time grilled peppers, seasoned w/evoo and a sprinkle of Lawrys Seasoning salt and I loved it...I no longer fear the taste of peppers...I also learned to eat mushrooms in my stir fry and red onions in my salad or just sauted onions, etc....they are great, it just depends on how you cook them...
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I second roasting veggies. I cut up parsnips (tastes like carrots) and sweet potatoes, toss will olive oil, s&p, roast at 375 for 25-40 mins.

I made some turkey lasagna and substituted some of the pasta with sliced zucchini. I used a mandoline slicer to get long strips. It was a good addition to the lasagna. I think I had 2 layers of noodles and 3 layers of zucchini total.

There is a group with a thread on here titled something like "Try a New Fruit/Veggie Each Week". They report back on what they tried and how they prepared it so that may help you out. Ah ha, here it is:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/213248-the-try-a-new-veggie-or-fruit-a-week-club?hl=try+a+new&page=1#posts-3144329
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I dont know if anyone has said this but I love spaghetti squash. You bake it then put tomato sauce on it just like pasta. Love it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    While corn is good for you, it's a starchy veggie so it's more like a carb than a veg, imo. Do you like broccoli? Or cauliflower? I get those steamables from the freezer section. A little salt and pepper and some ranch and yum!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hard for me to relate because I absolutley LOVE veggies, though I am not real big on salads or raw veggies. I prefer most roasted (either in the oven or on the grill), or stir fried and mixed with brown rice or another whole grain. But you might try pureeing veggies to mix with dips or sauces or even burgers or meatballs. Veggie dips such as hummus or other bean dips with whole grain crackers make a good snack. Pour salsa or picante over eggs. Make a stuffing of shredded veggies (so they are harder to recognize :wink: ) and whole grains for chicken breasts or white fish. Well, now I'm just making myself hungry!