10K steps a day?

Options
I'm trying to get suggestions on how I can get to 10K steps "inside". I'm still pretty new here - 7 weeks I think - and I have only hit 10K steps once. I was able to do it by walking some at work and then walking after I got home from work. Well, it's supposed to be storming today and it's already wet and raining outside. I'm trying to figure out a way to get to 10K steps indoors. I'm trying to take walking breaks every hour at work to kick up my steps, but that will only do so much. Any suggestions for getting to 10K steps indoors?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    10K steps works out to close to 5 miles for most people. While possible, getting all those steps indoors will not be the most exciting part of your day. At an average pace outdoors, most people will get that done in 90 minutes. You might find yourself walking slower indoors, which means more time. So, find a route and get going.
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You could look for a Leslie Sansone walking video on YouTube to up your steps. Sometimes I will march in place while reading on the computer.
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Guess I'll go walk around walmart on my lunch break.
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love the Leslie sansone videos for getting my steps in during the week. Hiking on the weekend when the weather is good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    SandyCoils wrote: »

walking is great, but if you're going to do that during your lunch break then why not just go do a workout? It will be more beneficial than 10K steps.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I walk in place in front of my tv in the evenings. It sounds silly, but that's how I manage to hit 10K everyday.
  • SandyCoils
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    walking is great, but if you're going to do that during your lunch break then why not just go do a workout? It will be more beneficial than 10K steps.

Because I have some errands and groceries to pick up. I try to do that stuff on my lunch so that I can go straight home to get a walk or work out in then. Plus, I hate coming back to work sweaty.

• SandyCoils
    Options
    Pascal56 wrote: »
    You could look for a Leslie Sansone walking video on YouTube to up your steps. Sometimes I will march in place while reading on the computer.
    Thanks for that!
  • Kaitou
    Kaitou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible to hit 10,000 walking indoors solely. I've hit 14,000 from all-indoors walking. Walking in stores like Walmart or Lowes, that are huge, helps a ton. I've nabbed 3k just browsing around Lowe's a little.

If you're walking inside your home, which means pacing back and forth, listening to some music or an audio book can definitely keep you from getting bored.
  • Kaitou
    Kaitou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Because everyone is not you and some people enjoy walking a lot more than a workout? If someone wants to up themselves to 5 miles of walking a day to help lose weight, that's a fine method to choose.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was gonna say leslie samson too

also I am totally guilty of walking around walmart and home depot when its really cold or bad wather.....one of the home depot guys even called me on it one day "are you actually looking for something or just going for a walk" haha
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Walk around while you are on the phone (if possible). Walk to visit colleagues instead of emailing. Go to the toilet a long way from your desk. Park a long way from your work place. March on spot in front of the tv. I would also second the Leslie Samsone workouts on YouTube.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Jogging in place. NOTE: Stretch your calf muscles after! Its not as calorie intensive as actual jogging/running. I'd rank it a little below a brisk 4.0 mph walk for me based on heart rate. But certainly burns more than sitting on the couch. :)

Or more fun, dancing.
    I'm trying to get suggestions on how I can get to 10K steps "inside". I'm still pretty new here - 7 weeks I think - and I have only hit 10K steps once. I was able to do it by walking some at work and then walking after I got home from work. Well, it's supposed to be storming today and it's already wet and raining outside. I'm trying to figure out a way to get to 10K steps indoors. I'm trying to take walking breaks every hour at work to kick up my steps, but that will only do so much. Any suggestions for getting to 10K steps indoors?

• SandyCoils
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input everyone. I've started walking 2 miles after work in the evenings, but today I decided to walk our office park for my entire lunch break, so now, at 2:44pm I am already at 9,753 steps! Score!!!!!! Thanks everybody. I'm going to try all of your suggestions. The variety should keep me from getting bored.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I get as much in during the day as possible. I try to walk during my two 15 minute breaks.

However, I often end up with 5,000 steps left at night. During the nice weather, I'll go for a walk, but sometimes (and especially when its cold), I just want to watch some tv. My method is walking in place while I watch tv. I do 1,000 steps at a time, then sit for 10-15 minutes, then do it again. Doing it 1,000 steps at a time breaks it up better for me.
  • chudak
    chudak Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you work in an office building, can you print at a printer that's further away from you? And when you grocery shop, if you have the time, you can make your shopping really inefficient so you have to walk from one side of the store to another - like, get milk, and then walk over to the produce section, and then walk to the cereal section - instead of going up and down aisles.

I live in Alaska, and it's often gross and wet outside. I bring rain pants and a rain jacket sometimes so I can still go for a walk without getting disgustingly wet. I let my gear dry in the bathroom so I'm not making a puddle in my cube. Is that an option for you?
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky and unlucky that I don't have a car so I walk a lot. Usually I'll play bus stop hop while waiting for the bus. And, usually by the time the bus has come I say the hell with it because I'm already halfway to my destination and just walk the rest.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I walk circles in my living room/kitchen. It's not the most exciting thing and my dogs and hubby look at me like I'm crazy but I get my steps.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I do + 10K steps every day, and the vast majority of it is here at home. I look after my mom (she's 92) and she can't be left alone, so I either do my walking here, or it doesn't get done. I literally have a circuit on the ground floor where I walk - from the front foyer, into the living room, dining room, through the kitchen and back to the front foyer. I do 5 circuits, then reverse direction. 40 circuits x 6 times a day gives me the 10K and then some.

Yeah, it's pretty boring, but I usually solve the world's problems while I walk. LOL. And in my situation it's the best I can do right now. Where there's a will... :)
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    you can sneak in "extra" steps at work and home

take more trips to the water fountain (and washroom haha)
    go see a coworker instead of calling/emailing them
    park farther away from places you need to go
    always take the stairs instead of elevator/escalator
    take the long way back to your desk/office after breaks
    make more trips when bringing in groceries (don't load up all the bags at once)
    walk around or pace while talking on the phone