Hi, I'm Savannah and I'm addicted to my scale...

Options
I just shared this on my wall and have had a lot of comments so I thought I'd go "public" with it!

I just finished a 10 Day Cleanse. I gave up wheat, flour, dairy, fried, etc - and lost about 5 lbs in 10 days - which is GREAT, in my opinion.

My next quest? I'm giving up my scale for 10 days. I'm a compulsive weigh-er and it's starting to bring me down. If I don't see instant gratification, I get discouraged. I refuse to let the number on the scale define me any longer. When I get home, it's going in my trunk and I will not weigh myself for for 10 days. You can do anything with an end in sight.

Anyone else addicted? Anyone else want to join me in the shunning of the scale? Share!

Replies

• amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am indeed addicted to the scale; it can effect my mood for the whole day. I try and weigh only once a week but t hat is nearly impossible... I feel like I need an external indicator that I am doing my best. You are definitely not alone in this!
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could go 10 days without my scale! That's so long!! Okay, I'll try it starting tomorrow, because of course I already weighed myself today!!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I had my munchkin alittle over a month and a half ago so I am obsessed with the scale and worry about putting weight on considering I am still not cleared to do anything other than light walking. So I will take this challenge with you :) too hiding the scale hehe
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No cake...no problem. No ice cream...no big deal. No soda...don't like the stuff anyway. NO SCALE?!?! WHAT?!?! How does one live without a scale?!?!? :)
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I too, am a scale addict, but not yet ready to give it up. I applaud you for loosing 5 pounds in such a short time. But who knows, maybe in the future I will put my scale in the closet too!
  • numi79
    numi79 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm a complete scale *kitten* and I've come to accept it. It keeps me on track, I weigh myself in the morning and say "yay, down a few oz or yay, I'm the same." The days I'm up a few oz I just watch myself that much more. It probably isn't the healthiest thing in the world but I could be doing worse things! :)

Good luck, Savannah, I'm sure you can do it! (Congrats on the weightloss by the way!)
  • manny_bee
    manny_bee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    the first time i lost weight i weighed everyday and it became an obsession. this time i only weigh twice a week. and i measure every monday. i only weigh midweek (and at the end of the day, too) to make sure i'm on the right track and not gaining because sometimes i change my foods during the week and my sugar/carb levels might be higher than the week before. but it is GREAT to look on the scale in the morning every monday and see a significant difference rather than half a pound up or half a pound down.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you KNOW weighing everyday tends to discourage you. Everyone is different. I weigh everyday b/c it helps me stay on track. But not everyone can roll with the daily fluctuations. Bottom line, figure out what works best for you and stick with it.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every other day, I try not to let what the scale says bother me. Actually I use my scale to motivate me. For Example if I find that I have lost weight, I get happy and encourage myself to lose more. If I find my self that I have gained 1 lb, like today, I'm get upset enough to work even harder. The scale used to bother me and I used to let it discourage me, but now, I just use it as a motivator.

Good luck !!!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kelly and Im addicted to my scale as well.......I let it controll my life. It affects my mood if I dont see change. and this sends me feeling down. I hate the scale and I think its hates me too...lol:sad:
  • eyt2003
    eyt2003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a slave to the scales too, I weigh every morning and sometimes before bed. I will join the challenge with you...no scales for me for the next 10 days.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am too!! I weigh myself at my boyfriend's in the morning, my house in the morning, and sometimes at my gym.. I also know how much difference in each of the scales.. I think I'm beyond addicted!

I can't go 10 days because I have a weigh-in at my gym, but I will only do it then!
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    I had to take a break from my scale because it's very easy for me to slip into weighing myself every day and becoming insane about what it says. I'm trying to focus on eating better and exercising (i.e. "feeling healthy) instead.
  • Jb8885
    Jb8885 Posts: 126
    Options
    HI, I'm Jenny and so am I! I know you should only once a week at the same time each day...but I'm crazy..I probably weigh myself at least 3 times a day. I usually weigh right when I wake up, so thats the weight I go off of. I know its normal to "gain" weight throughout the day from food and liquids, but I just like to know what it goes up to after I eat certain things..or after I work out it goes down sometimes. I'm so nuts I brought it with me when I went away with my friends for a weekend because I'm like if i'm not weighing I will gain! They're like..umm ur psyco and need help haha...I gotta do what I gotta do to get to my goal!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Yes, I'm a scale addict too.....I got up in the middle of the night last night to use the bathroom, and....you guessed it.....I weighed myself in the middle of the night! :blushing: Next week I'm going on vacation for 8 days.....and I will be without a scale! Horror of horrors. So I will be forced to take a break from my beloved friend and sometimes enemy Mr. Scale!
  • ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i wish i could give it up.
    even 3 days giving it up would be a miracle.

i weigh myself multiple times a day which is stupid, i know it is. But they are just there and i really cant help it :(
    its so depressing. i know i will weigh more when ive eaten and drunk food and have clothes on so its totally pointless, but i just cant help it :/

i really didnt think i would get this addicted to weighing myself again :/

uh oh.
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    OMG SO ADDICTED!!! Every morning and every night before i go to bed! I am so in on this! Would love not to look at a scale for 10 days!
  • mindy71183
    mindy71183 Posts: 74
    Options
    HI, I'm Jenny and so am I! I know you should only once a week at the same time each day...but I'm crazy..I probably weigh myself at least 3 times a day. I usually weigh right when I wake up, so thats the weight I go off of. I know its normal to "gain" weight throughout the day from food and liquids, but I just like to know what it goes up to after I eat certain things..or after I work out it goes down sometimes. I'm so nuts I brought it with me when I went away with my friends for a weekend because I'm like if i'm not weighing I will gain! They're like..umm ur psyco and need help haha...I gotta do what I gotta do to get to my goal!

Ha! I am going away this weekend and I debated bringing the scale! I know my friends would kill me though.... Although both of them are under 115 lbs and have great metabolisms. They have never had to worry about their weight. The scale will stay home though... 3 days without it. :(
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone here! I love all the comments, keep them coming!

Do we need an official support group thread for when the twitches kick in from withdrawl?
  • djhavoc
    djhavoc Posts: 43
    Options
    I thought people were crazy weighing themselves everyday but ever since I started MFP I weigh myself every morning now just to see where I'm at, I"m glad I weighed myself today!