Salmon and Meal Prep

Options
This question may have been asked before but I couldn't find it so:
I have been meal prepping for the last couple weeks and wanted to try using Salmon. Has anyone ever done this, and do you put the next days meal in the freezer and take it out the night before or keep the entire week in the fridge?

Replies

• dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I've never tried freezing cooked salmon but i buy frozen salmon all the time as I'm pretty landlocked. I just take it out of the freezer the night before the day i want to cook it, take it out of its wrapping, put it in a shallow pan, cover it with saran wrap and let it defrost in the fridge. You can just dump in your marinade when you get home and let it hang out in the fridge until you're ready to cook. It cooks in 13 to 15 min so it's still really fast, especially if you prep your marinade ahead of time.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen salmon, tilapia also. Each piece individually sealed. Just take out what I need, season & bake. From frozen its about 20-25 minutes. The salmon is usually $4/pound and tilapia a little less - so this is less $ than buying fresh for me.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'meal prep'. Is it just planning on what you're going to eat or is it actually prepping the food? If it's the latter, it totally depends on what you're going to eat. I guess what you're calling meal prep is what call cooking, which includes everything from cutting up a salad, getting veg ready to cook, seasoning meat and firing up the oven or grill.

For salmon, I always use cedar planks on the grill. They're rectangular planks of cedar, about 1/3" thick that you soak for several hours ahead of time, put onto a hot grill for a few minutes to create some smoke and then put the salmon directly on the plank to cook. The flavor is just beautiful. I also rub the salmon with a drizzle of olive oil followed by my favorite seasoning rub.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh salmon, cook it in the oven, and portion it for the week. Doing it on Sunday, it's still fine by Friday in the fridge!

Costco has great prices for fresh salmon!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Salmon is easy to do and requires almost no prep. You can do something as simple as cook it in a pan with some S&P (and whatever flavoring spices you like), just a little oil (or spray if you prefer), and a few minutes on each side.

Or for a real treat, cook it on a lower heat, but use a bourbon and brown sugar glaze.
  • robinkelly25
    robinkelly25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sorry, to clarify; I cook all of my meals on Sunday for the entire week. I was wondering if the Salmon/Tilapia would be good if I cook it on Sunday and put in the fridge and eat a piece until Friday.
  • robinkelly25
    robinkelly25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I buy fresh salmon, cook it in the oven, and portion it for the week. Doing it on Sunday, it's still fine by Friday in the fridge!

Costco has great prices for fresh salmon!

• slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you cook an entire half at once and refrigerated it, eating a little every day, it would be edible by Friday, but will likely start to dry a bit.

I'm lucky enough to be from Alaska, go there several times a year, and have access to a boat and a place to process fish. I tend to bring back a lot of salmon as I can't stand the farmed stuff that is everywhere in the Midwest.

What I end up doing is pretty much what Costco and every place else does with their frozen salmon, I cut the fresh salmon into serving sizes, season them (I usually just used blackened seasoning), and then freeze the individual pieces (I vacuum pack them, but some plastic wrap and a ziploc bag would work great or just a ziploc bag if you are thinking of freezing only for a week or so). When I am ready to cook, I take the piece out of the freezer, put it in the oven, turn it onto 350, and bake for 30 minutes.

I know it is not cooking 1 day a week, but it works well and really helps preserve the freshness of the salmon. Making it and refrigerating it for the week would be fine, just like anything else though, it dries and IMHO is just not as good.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth