Terrified of 1590 Calories!!

Any guidance greatly appreciated!!!

Have lost 40 pounds Net over the last 6 months - slow & steady!

Was eating 1200 calories per day but only just learned about Gross/Net - therefore must have had quite a significant deficit.

Exercise consists of walking 6.5 miles x 5 times per week. Have just increased my exercise in last 3 weeks to include interval jogging while walking twice a week.

However, weight loss has totally plateaued and I am distraught!!!

After reading a lot lately I am led to believe I should eat 1590 cals per day to hopefully support my increased activity?

Have not seen any results yet and also am struggling to eat 1590 having lived on 1200 for months and also feel too full!!!

Can eating 1590 really help me LOSE pounds?!!

Height: 5' 6"
SW: 245lbs (Aug-14)
CW: 205 lbs (Mar-15)
GW: 150 lbs
Target WL PW: 2lbs

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    You will be absolutely fine on 1590! I'm 5'4" 145lbs and losing weight with 1400-1600 calories. My progress is slow, but I am so much happier than when I was restricting to 1200.
  • D6Smile
    D6Smile Posts: 3
    Thanks so much!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Here is a calcultor I like to play around with. It takes into account your exercise/activity level so you are not supposed to eat back your exercise calories if using the numbers.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    D6Smile wrote: »
    Any guidance greatly appreciated!!!

Have lost 40 pounds Net over the last 6 months - slow & steady!

Was eating 1200 calories per day but only just learned about Gross/Net - therefore must have had quite a significant deficit.

Exercise consists of walking 6.5 miles x 5 times per week. Have just increased my exercise in last 3 weeks to include interval jogging while walking twice a week.

However, weight loss has totally plateaued and I am distraught!!!

After reading a lot lately I am led to believe I should eat 1590 cals per day to hopefully support my increased activity?

Have not seen any results yet and also am struggling to eat 1590 having lived on 1200 for months and also feel too full!!!

Can eating 1590 really help me LOSE pounds?!!

Height: 5' 6"
    SW: 245lbs (Aug-14)
    CW: 205 lbs (Mar-15)
    GW: 150 lbs
    Target WL PW: 2lbs

I'm sure you can lose weight at roughly 1600 calories...but it's going to be slower than what you're stating as your target weight loss per week...your goal of 2 Lbs per week isn't going to happen at that intake most likely. 2 Lbs per week means you need a daily deficit of 1,000 calories...so that would mean that your maintenance would have to be around 2600 calories...my guess is that's not the case.

I would think 1 - 1.5 Lbs per week would be more likely so long as you are consistent with your exercise and logging and are as accurate as possible.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I am a little confused here....
    If you feel you need to increase your calories due to exercise are you not using the MFP method of logging exercise and eating back calories?

My stats are almost identical to yours, I eat 1600 calories/day + exercise, and if I stick to my goal well I lose 1lb/week.

are you sure you are logging accurately?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Just stick with it for a few weeks and ride through the water fluctuations and you will have absolute proof it works

An extra 360 calories doesn't need to be difficult ..nut butter, cheese, ice cream, olive oil, chocolate, avocado, chips ...I'm sure you'll find it works
  • V2Win1000
    V2Win1000 Posts: 14 Member
    Sounds like you have made some amazing progress so far! I know first hand what its like when progress comes to a dead stop and there's always a way around. Knowledge and persistence is your greatest ally in those times. I am a 216lbs male who is using power lifting as a different approach to shredding down with my goals being the build you would find in the pro physic class of body building (magazine cover model like build). What that approach really means for me is being on a 2000 callorie diet while putting huge strain on my body for several hours a day 6 days a week. That absolutely sounds like too insane of a deficit at face value, but counting my macros is where the beast we need to face head on really lies.. Not just in callories. Here's why. It takes it certain amount of protein to keep your body out of an emergency state where your metabolism will slow down and. 6 to. 8 grams of protein per lb of body weight work just fine. For my needs i go over 1gram per lb. There is a ratio for the amount of fats consumed in your diet somewhere under 20% that will start to affect your hormones where your body will not be so willing to release body fat when it feels the intake of fat consumed is too strained. Fats are good! The problem is when fats and carbs are eaten together or combined in excess with too much bias towards carbs that turn your body's interactions with fat in the wrong direction. Carbs. You need enough to keep your energy up and thats about it! Trade them all for low glycymic carbs and trust me it'll even become difficult to get enough! For me theres almost zero bread. No flour.. Near zero sugar.. If your getting all your carbs from sources like steel cut oats, sweet potatoes vegetables and say the occasional brown rice, that you won't be anywhere near needing to be worried about over doing it.
    Anyways this app really helps with making counting these macros super easy. Research macros on YouTube and find your ratio. I'm not only loosing weight at around 2lbs a week.. Im also gaining muscle at a rate thats faster than average with 2000 calories a day. My deficit might be huge, but my macros are perfect! I'll bet that if you aren't counting your macros that once you do with only the cleanest sources of nutrients, you'll be having to make yourself eat enough to reach the same 1500 cals instead of feeling restrained!
  • ladybursnall
    ladybursnall Posts: 3 Member
    V2Win1000 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have made some amazing progress so far! I know first hand what its like when progress comes to a dead stop and there's always a way around. Knowledge and persistence is your greatest ally in those times. I am a 216lbs male who is using power lifting as a different approach to shredding down with my goals being the build you would find in the pro physic class of body building (magazine cover model like build). What that approach really means for me is being on a 2000 callorie diet while putting huge strain on my body for several hours a day 6 days a week. That absolutely sounds like too insane of a deficit at face value, but counting my macros is where the beast we need to face head on really lies.. Not just in callories. Here's why. It takes it certain amount of protein to keep your body out of an emergency state where your metabolism will slow down and. 6 to. 8 grams of protein per lb of body weight work just fine. For my needs i go over 1gram per lb. There is a ratio for the amount of fats consumed in your diet somewhere under 20% that will start to affect your hormones where your body will not be so willing to release body fat when it feels the intake of fat consumed is too strained. Fats are good! The problem is when fats and carbs are eaten together or combined in excess with too much bias towards carbs that turn your body's interactions with fat in the wrong direction. Carbs. You need enough to keep your energy up and thats about it! Trade them all for low glycymic carbs and trust me it'll even become difficult to get enough! For me theres almost zero bread. No flour.. Near zero sugar.. If your getting all your carbs from sources like steel cut oats, sweet potatoes vegetables and say the occasional brown rice, that you won't be anywhere near needing to be worried about over doing it.
    Anyways this app really helps with making counting these macros super easy. Research macros on YouTube and find your ratio. I'm not only loosing weight at around 2lbs a week.. Im also gaining muscle at a rate thats faster than average with 2000 calories a day. My deficit might be huge, but my macros are perfect! I'll bet that if you aren't counting your macros that once you do with only the cleanest sources of nutrients, you'll be having to make yourself eat enough to reach the same 1500 cals instead of feeling restrained!

• ladybursnall
    ladybursnall Posts: 3 Member
    So as long as I don't eat the calories my exercise gives me I will lose weight right now maintaining
  • D6Smile
    D6Smile Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for all replies. My education continues :-)!